Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Mice!

Can someone tell me where/how mice get into the camper? I've heard things like: "look for openings." I would love more detailed locations as I have no idea where openings might be. Thanks!

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Anywhere they can. There are gaps on the underbelly pans. There are space around drainage pipes. The list goes on. And you need to check regularly as I've had grommets fall out around drain pipes leaving a large gap.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there are lots of suggestions all over the place, Kim:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mice...=airforums.com

We buy a case of Fresh Cab each fall, and put pouches all over the place, including the summer cottage:

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-ROD...629947&sr=8-10
https://www.google.com/search?q=cab+...=airforums.com

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If you van stick a BIC pen into a gap in your trailer, a mouse can get in.

I use several methods to protect my Airstream from mice and pack rats. We have a serious Pack Rat issue where I live. Lights (solar blinking) and electronic sonic devices combined with numerous snap traps has been working well for several years.

Others in my community have had extensive damage caused by chewing wires and pluming.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I use poison bait stations outside the trailer, but in the area close to where the trailer is parked. I keep baited snap traps in the trailer year round. It's rare that a full week will pass that I dont go in the trailer. Every now and then, I find a mouse in a trap.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I use rat sticky pads. Put the around the pole barn.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:03 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Kittanning , Pennsylvania
I've tried many things in my barn to keep the field mice out of my mowers where they build nests under the engine cover. Dryer sheets don't work, peppermint on cotton balls were used to build their nests, and ultrasonic repellers mostly failed. However, mothballs have been successful if placed near their entry points on my mowers. My friend swears by mothballs scattered around the tires of his vintage cars -- says it's worked for years. Perhaps, additionally, mothballs in mesh bags hung near possible entry locations.
Pepko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Hi Kim,
Two locations that I know to check are:
1. Where the power cables penetrate into the trailer from the propane area
2. Where the stairs are attached under the trailer.

Hope this helps a little.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just sealed up my FC. I used sealant on cracks, including places where metal and plastic overlapped but weren't secured. I took off the steps and sealed places I couldn't get to with the steps installed. Each wheel well had two 1" square holes. I glued hardware cloth mesh over them. Areas that were too big to be filled with sealant got filled with rodent proof spray foam. Openings in the bumper storage were also covered with hardware cloth.

When I thought I was all done I found a big opening inside the bumper storage on the curb side. You can't see it easily I had to poke around to find it.

I'll do one more inspection before I store it for the winter.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Thanks everyone. This is helpful. I have ideas for repelling them (ordered some Fresh Cab, Peter) and, what I was actually looking for (haha), places to look for gaps and holes that need to be covered or sealed. I really appreciate the help! (@Pepko, I was starting up my tractor a couple of years ago and just about jumped out of my seat to see a little mouse running out of the engine and practically into my lap! And I never leave chocolate in my cars anymore!)

Kim
Charlotte, VT
Old 08-30-2020, 06:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by farafield View Post
. . .
. . . what I was actually looking for (haha), places to look for gaps and holes . . .
. . .

Understood all along, but even after a lot of effort, folks seem to report in general that mice still get in after plugging holes with hours of [wasted IMO] labor. See earlier Bic pen comment to illustrate. Plus you can't even find all the small holes. [PS edit -- did you check those Google search results for the many dozens of posts about this? -- very little joy from only attempting to plug all the holes IMO]

Interior solutions like Fresh Cab, ultrasonic devices, etc., seem to work well. As with your car . . . no food whatsoever left inside.

Belt and suspenders fine . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Understood all along, but even after a lot of effort, folks seem to report in general that mice still get in after plugging holes with hours of [wasted IMO] labor. See earlier Bic pen comment to illustrate. Plus you can't even find all the small holes. [PS edit -- did you check those Google search results for the many dozens of posts about this? -- very little joy from only attempting to plug all the holes IMO]

Interior solutions like Fresh Cab, ultrasonic devices, etc., seem to work well. As with your car . . . no food whatsoever left inside.

Belt and suspenders fine . . .
Thanks Peter. And I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound critical or unappreciative. People always go above and beyond on this site and I've learned so much here. If it wasn't for AF, Bramble and I would be out of battery, windows stuck shut, water faucet leaking still, head sore from scratching it so much trying to understand volts and watts...and so on...

Kim
Charlotte, VT