Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Black MaxxAir on rear Fantastic in bedroom. Works very well and keeps extra light out in the bedroom. Never had an issue with operation of the vent in the rain, even when towing.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:27 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I have the smoke tinted MaxxAir2. It has the screens built in to help keep bugs out. Installed fine (10 min.) without mods to my stock fantastic fan.
jt1911man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Talking Maxx Air vent cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandT View Post
My question is would the fan/mate be better for fully opening since the AS comes with a fan-Tastic fan and they are made for them. I got a regular maxx air vent but with it not fully opening I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money
I have a Hi-Lo with two regular Maxx Air Vent Covers, and Fantastic fans in both.
The dealer who sold me the Maxx Airs, told me not to run the fans on full speed, on pain of burning them out due to reduced air-flow. This would be caused by the very fine "No-seeum" screen in the cover. so I took the screen out and replaced them with larger mesh screen, about 5/32" mesh; works fine at all speeds. This was six years ago.
I don't have an Airstream yet; too many questions about it; but am unable to post the questions as I see no place to do so.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Not in love with the MaxxAir II

Based on the various threads I decided to jump in and purchase a MaxxAir II for my rear Fantastic. I have the same problem with the front with two factory solar panels, no room and certainly no room to get a drill to the side,
Installation was very easy using their 8 screw method.
But, despite what I read on the Forum, the vent cover does not open nearly fully and the air flow, I believe, is significantly reduced in the IN mode. It is hard to tell in the exhaust mode.
This may be OK as it does give me powered exhaust in the living area on a rainy day. I am going to need to use it for a while to see for sure.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:26 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Larry, we put a Maxxair II over the living room vent but it was just a bit too wide for the bedroom vent because of the solar panels.

So we got the earlier Maxxair vent cover for the bedroom Fantastic Fan, same gray color. Made four holes in the plastic vent housing using a heated nail held by a needle nose pliers, melted its way through quite easily with a little pressure. Then used metal screws rather than the the small bolts and nuts they furnish, installed with a stubby or bent phillips screwdriver. We did it working from ladders on the side of the Airstream.

As mentioned above there may be some reduced air flow mostly because of the bug screens, the fan has one and the cover another. Remove or put a larger mesh in the cover's screen if you need more air flow, it seems to work fine for us as we never use a higher speed on the fans.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Based on the various threads I decided to jump in and purchase a MaxxAir II for my rear Fantastic. I have the same problem with the front with two factory solar panels, no room and certainly no room to get a drill to the side,
Installation was very easy using their 8 screw method.
But, despite what I read on the Forum, the vent cover does not open nearly fully and the air flow, I believe, is significantly reduced in the IN mode. It is hard to tell in the exhaust mode.
This may be OK as it does give me powered exhaust in the living area on a rainy day. I am going to need to use it for a while to see for sure.
Larry
This is why I switched, not regretting my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
As mentioned above there may be some reduced air flow mostly because of the bug screens, the fan has one and the cover another. Remove or put a larger mesh in the cover's screen if you need more air flow
The $20 dollars you save buying the Maxx Air over the Ultrabreeze is equal to 20% reduction of air flow.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Never even looked at the price, just bought the one we like best, and still do.

cheryl
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Thanks Cheryl, clever adaptation but I am going to leave my front vent, bedroom, uncovered so I can get full flow since I spent the money for the remote and 14 speeds up there. If it rains and we do not use AC, I have the rear fan covered, an interior supplemental fan(12 vdc), and windows open to the first notch. I think I can live with the MaxxAir II, but I need to use it a bit to be sure.

Larry
Old 06-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
Maxx Air Fan Mate Vent Cover. I don't know if they are worth the extra money but they look very nice. I have the Max Air II and I am very pleased with it. I think there is some restriction of airflow, however, I like it because it allows me to leave the vent open when away for the day and not worry about a rain shower.

Ron
2015 Sport 16'
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Yeah, I wonder about the Fanmate vs. the MaxxAir II. My conclusion was that I do not like the attachment method for the Fantastic Ultrabreeze so I wonder about the Fanmate now that I have installed the MaxxAir II.
Larry
Old 06-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #31
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Yeah, I wonder about the Fanmate vs. the MaxxAir II. My conclusion was that I do not like the attachment method for the Fantastic Ultrabreeze so I wonder about the Fanmate now that I have installed the MaxxAir II.
Larry

The ultra breeze attached the exact same way as the Fanmate. I just swapped these out a few months ago. The both had tabs and bolts.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What I like about the MaxxAirII is the quick pin clip disconnect on one side and the tilt open feature. Makes annual cleaning soooo much easier. No tools.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Indeed thanks, since the Fanmate attaches the same way as the Ultrabreeze, I will live with my Maxx Air II.
Larry