Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Elissa and Bobby

2013 16' Sport
Kennebunkport , Maine
Lovin' our new 2013 16' Bambi

Like many others, I have poured over Air Forums for several months before purchasing our new Bambi. The information and community is so helpful that without it we might not have chosen an Airstream.

Our first outing was in October when we traveled north to Belfast, Maine to a lovely, small RV campground called the Moorings….right on the ocean. Fantastic. Instantly made new Airstream friends who we are keeping in touch with. Next we took Bambi from Maine to Florida, which was our reason for purchasing a travel trailer. My husband broke me in quickly by spending our first night at Walmart. OK, that wasn't so bad! Since we travel with pets this has been the BEST way to travel and I am so happy. After a few months at our Florida home we took another trip to Marathon, FL in the Keys and stayed at Grassy Key RV resort. Pricy, all other campgrounds there were booked and this was a last minute trip, but really nice!! Again, right on the water! While there our 20 lb kitty managed to climb thru the little door in the bathroom where you pass the shower head outside, he was gone for the better part of the day. Being that he's an indoor cat, I went nuts. Everyone at the campground was very nice and helpful and eventually we did find him and stayed an extra night. That door won't be left open again!

We have some technical issues we'd like to tweak, like a loud fan in the fridge…no thermostat for the a/c only on and off, stiff heat thermostat….but we are reading up on these issues and will post questions if we need to.

We plan to visit Alumaflamingo in Sarasota so we hope to meet some of you there! Thanks again. We already feel welcomed into this community!
ME Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sounds like you're having lots of fun with your new Bambi, which is what it is all about. Congratulations.

Welcome to the forums, and Airstreaming.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
I agree with you on the stiff furnace thermostat ... almost impossible to switch on and off. Let me know if you figure out something or hear from others on that.

Congrats on the trailer! Glad you are loving it!
norcal bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Ditto on the stiff thermostat switch. We too have the 2013 Bambi 16. It attracts attention wherever we go. We were even stopped at a toll booth and asked about it by the toll taker. Enjoy your Bambi.
Navy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
The switch on our 2010 16 is stiff as well. I guess it's good to know it will stay off and not be bumped by accident.
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME Bambi View Post
Like many others, I have poured over Air Forums for several months before purchasing our new Bambi. The information and community is so helpful that without it we might not have chosen an Airstream.

Our first outing was in October when we traveled north to Belfast, Maine to a lovely, small RV campground called the Moorings….right on the ocean. Fantastic. Instantly made new Airstream friends who we are keeping in touch with. Next we took Bambi from Maine to Florida, which was our reason for purchasing a travel trailer. My husband broke me in quickly by spending our first night at Walmart. OK, that wasn't so bad! Since we travel with pets this has been the BEST way to travel and I am so happy. After a few months at our Florida home we took another trip to Marathon, FL in the Keys and stayed at Grassy Key RV resort. Pricy, all other campgrounds there were booked and this was a last minute trip, but really nice!! Again, right on the water! While there our 20 lb kitty managed to climb thru the little door in the bathroom where you pass the shower head outside, he was gone for the better part of the day. Being that he's an indoor cat, I went nuts. Everyone at the campground was very nice and helpful and eventually we did find him and stayed an extra night. That door won't be left open again!

We have some technical issues we'd like to tweak, like a loud fan in the fridge…no thermostat for the a/c only on and off, stiff heat thermostat….but we are reading up on these issues and will post questions if we need to.

We plan to visit Alumaflamingo in Sarasota so we hope to meet some of you there! Thanks again. We already feel welcomed into this community!
That would be a mountain lion at 20 lbs. I am looking forward to doing some of the same soon, just bought last week. Hopefully going to visit my snowbirding parents on the Rio Grande in a month...
renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
If it's the same thermostat (Atwood furnace)I had in my Coleman tent trailer it's normal for the on off switch to be stiff(that's the one on the bottom right if I remember correctly.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
Selby

2014 16' Sport
Bexley , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Burfield
Have the same issues with a/c and furnace switch. Had to force the t-stat to turn on. Guess that's "normal"
Also had microwave door opener fail. Airstream sent me new one but failed to send mounting brackets back. Been waiting two months now. Other than some very sloppy chaulking in bathroom and on roof,it has been ok.
Replaced all the lights with LED bulbs.
No fix for the refer fan unless you add a cut-out switch, it is very loud at night.
Towed from Ohio to Arizona and back with a Toyota FJ and had no problems.
Added Rock Tamer flaps to the back of my FJ to prevent rock damage
Burfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
Frig Fan

I also have a 2013 Sport we bought new last year. First trip out to Yosemite the fan on the frig ran almost all the time even when the outside temps dropped to under 60 degrees.

We had our trailer guy install a manual switch outside behind the plastic panel. It's a simple on/off switch that we use during warmer weather.

Jack Dog
in So Cal
JackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
I don't understand what the fridge fan cut off switch does... Can someone explain? Does the whole fridge turn off? What happens when the fan is off?
Jessi64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The fan is not part of the refrigerator.
The fan is to keep the compartment behind the refrigerator cool.
It shouldn't be necessary in mild/cool/cold temperatures.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We installed a simple toggle switch in the hot wire just before it goes into the fan. This was after our AS tech said we could just unplug that wire from the fan if we didn't want the noise. The fan is only needed on hot days to cool the back of the fridge. On or off it did not affect the operation of our fridge. The only times we turned the fan switch on was when the temp got into the high 80s. So for now I'd just pull the plug and try it out.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Alliance , Ohio
Thanks!
Jessi64 is offline   Reply With Quote