Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Decatur , Alabama
Lighting my furnace

Ok, I know I should know about this by now but would someone give me some reinforcement? I bought this used and there is no book on the furnace in the paperwork.
Thanks guys
Nightwind15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Set It and Forget It

Are you having a problem or just gathering information?

Your Airstream is new. New models require virtually none of the hoops us Vintage owners have to jump through.

If you are simply gathering information, you can safely throw caution to the wind, turn on the gas, power, and thermostat on and enjoy a heated Airstream. There are so many safety features built in to new RVs that is almost impossible to blow yourself up.

BTW, my 3rd grader passed through Decatur today on a school bus headed for Cook's Museum. I hope you waved...

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Like Tom said, turn on the thermostat, select heat for the heat pump you probably have, or furnace for the gas furnace. Technology is nice.

By the way, if you have a heat pump, it will work well until the outside temp gets to around 45. It then begins the standard defrost cycle many people don't understand. It will blow almost cool air for a few minutes, then warm up again. This is normal. As the outside temp gets to 32ish, it will automatically turn on your gas furnace. This will send warm air through all the holding tanks, preventing freezing. As it warms up, the heat pump will assume primary duties again.

Enjoy.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know for sure what furnace you have, but, for my old Suburban furances I had no problem getting a manual from Suburban. You just need the model number.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Ditto Scott and Tom...in your newer model you simply set the thermostat to heat (furnace), set the temp so that it is higher than the current interior temperature and the furnace should come on in a bit... The blower will come on first, then you will hear the electric ignition click to fire the heater up.

It was unclear to me if it's not lighting or if you just don't know how it's supposed to be turned on. If, after trying the above process, if it tries to fire up three times in succession and fails, then the furnace will shut itself down. Turn it off at the thermostat and let it sit a few minutes so that it resets itself...then turn the furnace back on at the thermostat and try again. If the blower goes on but the ignition is unable to light the heater, there may be one of several things going on: (a) the ignition is not getting enough power to successfully light the heater; (b) the sail switch is stuck; (c) there's a problem with the furnace board; (d) there is a problem with the gas regulator and it is not getting enough gas. The later happened to ours, discovered only when we were in colder temps...we had to have the regulator replaced (under warranty). Check out this sub forum for more information on furnaces: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427/ Since your unit is so new, I'd suspect the regulator or lack of proper power first (but I'm no expert and it doesn't mean it couldn't be other issues). If it continues to give you trouble, it ought to still be under warranty, so yoiu can get it fixed, whatever the problem is. Hope this helps!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2006 bambi