Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #141
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
LaVista , Alaska
Zacharycox84 we are taking our first trip in March to Grapevine Texas I would buy the other half of your lift kit if you still have it in March.
Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:01 AM   #142
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
1999 25' Safari
1978 29' Ambassador
Stuart , Florida
22fb airstream hitting ground

I just bought a 22fb 2019. This is my 3rd airstream. (After reading the hundreds of stories about putting on a lift kit and why. It makes me mad that my dealer did not at least mention this to us this problem). I found out the hard way bring it home. I could not even pull off the driveway at home. This problem is not good and very costly for the owner. Is this a case of buyer be ware. Why hasn't Airstream had a recall?
I would never have thought a company like airstream would not solve the problem. Thank God for the Airstream forum or
I would never have known the problem was just not my trailer.
TK21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 AM   #143
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK21 View Post
... I found out the hard way bring it home. I could not even pull off the driveway at home. This problem is not good and very costly for the owner. Is this a case of buyer be ware. Why hasn't Airstream had a recall?
I would never have thought a company like airstream would not solve the problem. ... I would never have known the problem was just not my trailer.
Why would Airstream add a lift kit when many (most) owners don't need the added cost? There is not a problem with the trailer - the problem is your driveway. If the dealer offered the lift kit to every customer they would be accused of upsetting unneeded equipment. How would the dealer have known you had a driveway problem? I had a 22' Sport before trading for our 25' and we never had a problem anywhere we went with it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #144
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK21 View Post
I just bought a 22fb 2019. This is my 3rd airstream. (After reading the hundreds of stories about putting on a lift kit and why. It makes me mad that my dealer did not at least mention this to us this problem). I found out the hard way bring it home. I could not even pull off the driveway at home...

TK,

The lift kit may have helped in your case, but if your driveway is steep enough, you may also want to have the rollers welded to the rear frame. This is another relatively inexpensive safeguard. So far the lift has been plenty for me, but I looked into the rollers too. Good luck

Jacob
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #145
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
I doubt Airstream considers this a design flaw. The trailers are designed to be aerodynamic, i.e. low and sleek. If you find that the ride height gives you grief, just install a lift and enjoy better days. Most of us who have installed the lift have found it very satisfactory. Given the somewhat unreasonable price we have already paid for these units, the added cost of the lift kit is quite insignificant. Personally I would be cautious about adding rollers to the frame. I have heard stories of the frame buckling and causing unsightly creases in the skin of the trailer. It does bother me that Airstream doesn't at least consider the lift as a factory approved option.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #146
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I hadn’t seen anything on the roller causing damage, thanks for mentioning that. Not hitting the ground at all is the best option, which is why I went with the lift first.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #147

Naples , Florida
Sold last week
ZacharyCox84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Just hitting a skid on my streetside rear corner gave me a set of new, permanent wrinkles. The Airstream has some buckling on that corner as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:41 AM   #149
1 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
West Valley City , Utah
The install quote was around 500. Luckily my son has all of the air tools. However the kit the dealer exchanged to me is NOT the correct one. You are definitely looking for the #11 kit on a 22FB. The kit I was sold is too short horizontally. The holes in the kit brackets are 8” on center. It needs to be 9” so make a note to try not to use a #10 kit. Perhaps that is what goes on a 16” or maybe a smaller tandem axel series. Definitely not on a 2014 22FB. I’m hoping they exchange me again.
Rhuffer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #150
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Fairhaven , Massachusetts
Dealer installed lift kit

We’ll be picking up our new Sport 22 next week and we’re very excited. We had the dealer install the lift kit. We previously owned a fiberglass Casita TT and I had ordered it with the lift kit. It saved a lot of bottom scraping at some rough campgrounds and on my driveway with incline. I had the dealer, install it at $1000.00. Kinda steep, compared to other dealer installs mentioned here, but I know in the long run, I’ll be glad I had the lift kit installed.
davincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 AM   #151
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Lift Kit on 22' Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davincent
We’ll be picking up our new Sport 22 next week and we’re very excited. We had the dealer install the lift kit. We previously owned a fiberglass Casita TT and I had ordered it with the lift kit. It saved a lot of bottom scraping at some rough campgrounds and on my driveway with incline. I had the dealer, install it at $1000.00. Kinda steep, compared to other dealer installs mentioned here, but I know in the long run, I’ll be glad I had the lift kit installed.

Nice job it’s worth the investment.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #152

2016 22' Sport
CANYON , Texas
Any more half kits available?

I'm also looking for a single axle kit for a 22FB. Anyone else have an extra set for sale?
btruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #153

2017 22' Sport
Charlotte , North Carolina
I just received mine today from eTrailers.com. Let me do an inventory of all the hardware and I can send Wed or Thurs this week. $95.00 including shipping assuming continental US.

Contact me at don.duncan@outlook.com
W3NDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #154

2016 22' Sport
CANYON , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3NDT View Post
I just received mine today from eTrailers.com. Let me do an inventory of all the hardware and I can send Wed or Thurs this week. $95.00 including shipping assuming continental US.

Contact me at don.duncan@outlook.com
Shweet! Thanks
btruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #155
1 Rivet Member

MIAMI , Florida
Hi,

I have a lift kit for a single axle if anyone is currently looking. $95 including shipping. DM through forum or email me at jonahlg@gmail.com if interested.

Thanks
jonahmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #156
Wpl

Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
Total newbie and not much of a mechanic so trying to figure where to go to get a lift kit. Have the $1000 quote from the dealer then see $95 etrailer kits talked about. Have a just bought a 2018 22FB Sport and figuring the extra 3" clearance will be a must have for our planned travels. Possibly a $900 savings with some sweat equity if I'm understanding this correctly but then again I'm probably assuming it's that simple a difference and also going to assume that if I go by my money saving assumption it will bite me in the butt. Advice!?!
Wpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #157
2 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
$1000 seems like a lot, but I don't have any other quotes to compare. Installation requires getting underneath the trailer which has been lifted up off its axel and torqueing quite hard on stuck bolts to remove them. If you are comfortable doing that SAFELY yourself, then this may be a do-it-yourself job. It requires a good quality jack, jack stands, (or lift), torque wrench, and ideally an impact wrench. It is not a job to cut corners. Having your 2 ton beauty end up squishing you would be a bad way to end your relationship.
ChrisnPatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #158
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Woodland Park , Colorado
Single Axle Lift Kit Available

Hi There. Just purchased #11 tandem axle lift kit to install on my 2019 Bambi Sport. Happy to share with anyone needing single axle set up. $90+ shipping. Reply to his thread if interested.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-724-02.html
movin-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #159
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
seattle , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-in View Post
Hi There. Just purchased #11 tandem axle lift kit to install on my 2019 Bambi Sport. Happy to share with anyone needing single axle set up. $90+ shipping. Reply to his thread if interested.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...71-724-02.html
I'll buy your remaining kit. PM me
caboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #160
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
seattle , WA
Anyone know a shop in WA state that could install this kit?
caboob is offline   Reply With Quote