Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
Installing composting toilet in 2019 Bambi

I'd like to install a Nature's Head composting toilet in my 2019 22' Bambi Sport. The stock toilet is much shorter than the composting one I want to install, and I'm wondering whether it's feasible to remove or at least lower the platform that the toilet sits on, to reduce the height of the toilet seat.

Anyone have any experience with this, or know what sort of plumbing is under that pedestal below the toilet?

Thanks so much, and I hope this is the right place for this question. I looked to see if someone had answered it elsewhere, but didn't find anything.
LilSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
I think your black tank is right below your toilet, at least mine was in my 72 Safari. I installed a Natures Head and plumbed the urine into the black tank.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Please keep us posted on your install and how you like the NH. I'd love to do this in the future.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:47 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
WALNUT CREEK , California
Mx468 is correct, the black tank is directly below that toilet platform. You can remove the bottom access panel in the closet to access the void space, and you will see the black tank sticking out. To remove the platform and the black tank will require quite a bit of disassembly. You will have to take out the double wall partition separating the toilet from the closet, remove the black tank, and then reconstruct the platform lower. You probably will also expose the openings in the side panels from where the tank used to be, so will have to cover those newly exposed holes.

I included a pic below of what the area looks like from the closet side when partially disassembled, and you can see the extent of the black tank passing through the wall into the toilet side.

Note that if you take out the black tank you will also have to reconstruct the dump side piping to eliminate the black tank connection, since the gray and black tank piping is all interconnected.

All in all, a very ambitious project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	407128  
jmickow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
Wow thank you so much, Mx468 and jmickow! Sounds like I'll be leaving the black tank where it is, at least for now.

I am interested in trying to join the exhaust tube from the Nature's Head into the exhaust pipe coming out of the black tank. I've heard it can be done, anyone know how I would access that pipe?
Old 10-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
In the photo I attached to my previous response, the two black plumbing pipes running vertically are the vents from the black and grey tanks. You could drill a hole in the side panel for a flexible pipe and use standard plumbing fittings to make a connection from the Natures Head unit to one of these pipes.

The problem is that you need to take off the toilet door and disassemble the closet unit side panel to get to it, as shown in the picture. A bit intimidating, but not a huge project if you are handy as everything is just screwed together with fairly accessible screws. Good luck!
Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
That's perfect, I'll attach the NH vent to that black tank pipe, thank you so much!

I'm having trouble finding a place to get electricity for the fan. I wonder whether I could tap into either the purple or red wire sitting on top of the black tank. Does that seem reasonable?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	407471  
Old 11-04-2021, 06:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
For an electrical connection, I would not tie into a wire unless you know what it is for, i.e. what circuit it is on. Some may have power all the time, others may not. You have the advantage here of being right near the main electrical distribution board which is underneath the refrigerator, so you could either find a nearby wire from a circuit that you think is compatible and has sufficient capacity (like not the water pump, refrigerator, etc.), or pick a circuit and run your own new wires from the DC side of the panel, all reasonably accessible from that area beneath the closet.

Regarding connecting the vent, the best way would be to cut the pipe and install a proper fitting, although I am not sure what that would be to connect what is probably a vinyl vent tube. If you do choose to drill a hole in the vent pipe and stick the tube in, make sure that you have proper , positive seal, as you don't want the smell from the black or gray tank leaking into your trailer. One idea is to drill and tap for a brass fitting with a barbed end (see pic below) into the vent pipe that could accept the vent tube with a hose clamp. Pipe taps are readily available and easy to use in plastic. A saddle clamp of appropriate size would be another idea. Link here: https://www.plumbingsupply.com/saddle.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled 3.png
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	407473  
Old 11-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Kodiak , Alaska
Thanks so much for all your help, jmickow. I've got it working now, I'm excited to have finished the project.

I used a PVC connector and PVC glue to tap into the black tank exhaust, and it seems to work well.

I got power from the fuse box, using one of the two open fuse slots at the bottom for power, and got ground from one of the open screws on the other side of the fuse box.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Size:	269.9 KB
ID:	407725   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	407726