RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 12-29-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lacey , Washington
Help Please...Bambi/Toyota combo

I am looking at Airstreams - The 22 foot Bambi. I am new to this and not sure of my truck's ability to tow a 22 foot Bambi. I have a new 2021 toyota tacoma TRD Off Road, V6, Long bed. I am not sure if the truck can tow this. It looks like the Bambi 22 footer may be pushing the weight limit. Do any of you perhaps have this combination? And if so, is it safe and doable? What is your experience? Hey, thank you very much for reading this and any advice would be much appreciated. TomQ
TomQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
I know nothing about this combo. I do know you can search the forums for towing and find all the numbers you need to look up. Like hitch weights and truck payload. Look through the info and get started by writing numbers down. Good luck!
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Tacoma is on the smaller side of the truck range, but it it has a towing capacity of 6,400 lb which when taking into account the tongue weight limit of 640 should be derated for travel trailers to 5,400 lb. for safety against sway and oversteer. So it will certainly safely and competently and even reasonably comfortably tow the 22 foot Bambi which has a max weight of 5,000 lb and loaded for camping will have a tongue weight of 600-680 lb. You will want a lightweight but quality sway control hitch with Some light WD. An EAZ Lift Elite or any of the similar knock off models marketed by Curt, Reese, Husky, Camco, etc. or an Andersen. These are lightweight so they don't add as much to tongue weight and they perform very well.

You will have a decent combination. Could you improve on it? Sure, but this combination is competent. How you set up the hitch and truck will make a big difference as to how it feels so when the time comes, come back and ask how to dial the set up in.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
We have a 2021 Bambi 22FB being towed by our 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 long bed with the factory tow package option. Sound familiar? I have a Tekonsha Prodigy controller and a Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. It tows fine, it brakes fine, and it rides fine. When the hitch is properly adjusted the rig sits level. I have a tri fold bed cover and a locking tailgate latch so I have oversized items in the bed. I run my truck tires at the tiresí max psi and it handles fine. Iíve dropped their trailer tires down to 70 psi based on the Goodyear load chart. Go enjoy your new AS & Tacoma.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2021 22' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
Help Please...Bambi/Toyota combo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	385890
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Clayton , North Carolina
I will agree with BayouBiker for the most part but will add I went through the same decision process this past April and May (as I got nearer to buying an AS which I did in early June, a 2020 Bambi 20í) and decided to trade in my 2018 Tacoma TRD 4x4 for a Tundra TRD 4x4. On a pure specs basis regarding truck towing capacity and trailer tongue weight and gross weight everything looks good. But in my weights spreadsheet build out the thing that was nagging me was truck payload capacity once it was burdened with the tongue weight. And keeping in mind that payload includes the people in the truck interior, as well as any pets and other stuff, the truck bed additional available carry capacity dropped way down. I wanted to be able to carry a small generator, 5 gallon gas can, tools, shovel, ice chest. Some stuff you can carry in the trailer (not the fuel of course). Even with the Tundra, once I loaded my truck bed I was within 150-200 pounds of max capacity (And I was also planning a 30-60 days trip). I would have exceeded the Tacoma payload capacity. Now donít be alarmed. Just make sure you look at your Tacoma payload capacity, consider the weights of the driver and passengers and the tongue weight to be counterd against payload and consider everything you might take and its weight that might be placedin truck bed to make sure you do not exceed. Yes, the WDH will move some of the weight back onto the trailer axle but that stuff is complicated and there are lots of threads on that as well. Good luck.
smsasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I wrote this a while ago I believe in response to a “can a XXX tow a 20”. Doesn’t matter. But saw this thread and thought I’d jump in.

Seems, I took the proverbial fork in the road. 2014 FC (purchased new in May 2015), equalizer hitch, 2008 Toy Highlander (added jet pack chip) that had 63K on it when we bought it used in 2015. It was a soccer mom’s car, OC every 3K and always garaged and over-serviced. The TT now has over 55K, including 3 XC trips from Eugene to Nashville, Key West and Acadia, plus San Diego and Orcas Island. TV is a daily driver has about 138K currently. Been thru the wind tunnels of Spokane, WY, TX, OK etc. Tows straight and true. We were not the last rig over WB Donner nor I84 Cabbage Hill out of Pendleton nor EB I-80 out of Laramie. The groove is at 62-65 mph. No need to go any faster (Generally).

Note my TW is published at 631 but it generally weighs in at 525 or so. I think the caravel line dropped the TW to the mid 500’s. I rarely have both propane tanks full as one tank even during winter travel lasts forever and use the two bikes on the fiama on the tail and FW (.375 - .5 tank) to adjust TW to about 12% of GVW. Wine and tool bag in the shower offset the side by side difference from kitchen appliances.

We’re kinda hunkered down here so haven’t looked locally, but when in EUG I had a County maintained/state inspected ag scale a .5 mile from storage that was never used (except the day I had to wait for the state inspector to do his work). I could move stuff around to truly get a sense of loading for the axle as well as TW, DS tire vs CS tire. Generally is about 2350 per tire or 4700 on the axle. No have 35K+ on t GYE’s. A perfect solution to the no margin GYM/20 FC combo.

When I bought the GYE’s for the TT (35K or so ago which I love) I also bought new rims and fresh shoes for the TV. I swapped the OEM Toyo P245/55/R19 103S for Defender LTX M/S 245/65/R17 107T and gained 220 lbs. load capacity per tire.

We originally planned to buy the 20 used and TV new, but when a brand new 2014 popped up at the dealer just as the 2016’s were arriving, it caught us off guard. And since were only seeing used 20’s …cept on the east coast, jumped on it as the price was excellent. Quickly traded the 2000 Volvo XC/SE for the just located Highlander, so at least I could tow it off the lot. I originally had looked at new 4 runners and Durango’s. I quickly realized that 4-runners in the age range were only rated at 4500 lbs and the used Durango’s usually has 125K plus mileage. Plus, I was getting ready for retirement from the city and had a lot of projects and compliance to wrap up before retirement and no spare time to research specs and availability. So, we went with the Highlander and balanced the checkbook. I had my hitch pro check it all out and he gave me the green light. He also did a fantastic job tweaking the hitch after our first trip and all was loaded for the road still. If had it to do over I maybe would have broke the bank and bought the Durango new…Just a bit more load capacity (would be nice) and towing capacity (not really needed). But I didn’t, and have been extremely happy with the Highlander. If a highlander can do it, certainly a Tacoma can too!!

For the record, just purchased a 2021 jeep GC Limited with tow package, putting the tow capacity at 62OO and the receiver from a likely class III (highlander manual says 500 -550 TW) to a IV rated at 620 TW…plus a few extra hun of payload capacity. To be clear, ABSOLUTELY NO complaints about the capabilities of the Highlander. The 55K mileage speaks for itself. Always towed straight and true and we’ve been thru it all. Just wanted a new vehicle (highlander now at 140K) , price was very good and a little more margin for tow capacity, hitch capacity and weight capacity thrown in.

So I guess my comment is, big trucks aren’t always the solution. Find a scale, know your weights and how to manage them. Not all TV’s work but certainly more than most folks would consider acceptable.

Happy Trails

Image..."I-5... just short of Weed "
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-31 Blue 2014 Airstream Flying Cloud - Airstream Forums.png
Views:	18
Size:	602.8 KB
ID:	385907  
Old 01-03-2021, 08:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We pull a 22’ Sport with a Ram 1500 with the smallest V8 made...a 4.7L and it does just fine. Ordinary ball with anti-sway. (No wt-distributing). I do not like or need a wt-dist hitch. Don’t believe what salesmen tell you about that. (And this will appear contradictory...and I apologize to those who it may offend.... but I don’t know anyone who spends money on gadgets that then admit they were foolish to do so.). The 22’ Bambi follows very well and only needs anti-sway, IMO. I’ve towed all through the Rockies and have had no issues whatsoever. YMMV
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
WD is only "needed" when you can't meet payload objectives without returning load to the front axle and shifting some to the trailer. Boxite, if your Ram is under GVWR and under RAWR then WD is available to improve handling and towing performance. Transferring weight back to the front generally improves steering response, cornering performance and passenger comfort. If this is not important to you and you're satisfied as is, okay then.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Olympia , Washington
Iíve been watching this thread for a while and decided to put in my 2 cents. I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road V6 and a 2018 22FB Sport. This combination works just fine for me. I tow using an inexpensive eaz-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch with 600 pound rated bars. The 600 pound capacity bars work great with the Sport 22FB. My brake controller is a Prodigy P2. Since I only have one axle on the trailer, I do not see the need for a P3 three axle controller. I have never connected my friction sway control and have not noticed sway. That may be because I tow between 60 and 65 MPH, but even cross winds donít seem to be an issue for me. The combination averages about 12.5 MPG. As long as you arenít towing continuously at altitude the Tacoma should suffice as a tow rig. Iím satisfied with my Tacoma and not looking to change what I have.
Turbobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Turbobill, you have a nice competent setup The EAZ lift is a good match. You should install the sway bar, it's good insurance against an event you likely may only face once or twice in 20,000 miles. You're towing near the limit of the Tacoma and if you happen to be on a steep downgrade in variable winds and decelerate a touch to quickly on approach to a curve, you will be glad you had the sway bar. There are other situations where the bar will help you as well.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I agree with Brian. When we lived in OR, going anywhere meant over Ashland...Willamette or Santium Pass. My rule was decent in same gear as the accent. Gearing and braking in spurts, with the left hand ready to reach for the p3 manual if needed. The beat up guard rails on the curves were the constant reminder that, in the end, slower is faster. Keep'm cool and keep your tail behind you.

Happy trails
Old 01-06-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Somewhere between Cheyenne & Dayton , WY
We pull our 2018 22FB Sport with a 2018 GMC 1500 Premium (full tow package). It has the mid-range 5.3 V8 engine and pulls our 22FB like butter.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2020 16' Basecamp
Louisville , Kentucky
Tranny Temps

I have a 2nd gen taco and a 16í BCX. 22í seems like a lot of trailer for the Taco. Would particularly keep an eye on your transmission temps using a scan gauge or such. Even towing in 4th, my transmission temps prior to adding an axillary transmission cooler were above 200F and as high as 240F going over the Rockies on the way to moab in early October. FYI 2nd gens only have a five speed transmission.
Rolind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Fredericksburg , Virginia
I think you'll be fine. There is an tow package engine oil cooler available for the Tacoma 4.0 V-6, which is a great motor. I have no problems towing my 20' Argosy with a 2008 4Runner with the 4.0. The Tacoma long bed would do even better because it has a longer wheelbase. Otherwise they're almost the same vehicle underneath. I installed the oil cooler, an auxiliary transmission cooler, and I don't tow in OD. I actually fill the water tank before I tow because the tongue weight is pretty low compared to the strength of the rear suspension on the 4Runner. I have a WD hitch, but the pressure on the spring bars is minimal to achieve level towing.
JackDuggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:52 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
A quick google provided the following:

What is the towing package for a Toyota Tacoma?

If you plan on towing, you should choose the V6 Tow Package. It includes a class IV receiver hitch with the trailer wiring but most importantly it includes a transmission cooler, engine oil cooler, 130 amp alternator and heavy duty battery. With the tow package, the Tacoma can tow as much as 6,500 pounds.

Without the tow package, 3,500 pounds.

So, does your truck have the tow package? This will make or break you unless you are willing to retrofit your truck
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:59 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I started a post in September regarding Toyota/Lexus Tow Vehicles. Towards the end of the post I have a spreadsheet with all the vehicles and trailer configurations. You may find it interesting.
I personally have towed pretty heavy gooseneck horse trailers extensively with a 1996 Toyota T100. The newer Tacomas have similar or heavier capacities than my old truck.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f46...ra-214452.html

I am confident you can do it with your Tacoma.
djabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuggan View Post
I think you'll be fine. There is an tow package engine oil cooler available for the Tacoma 4.0 V-6, which is a great motor. I have no problems towing my 20' Argosy with a 2008 4Runner with the 4.0. The Tacoma long bed would do even better because it has a longer wheelbase. Otherwise they're almost the same vehicle underneath. I installed the oil cooler, an auxiliary transmission cooler, and I don't tow in OD. I actually fill the water tank before I tow because the tongue weight is pretty low compared to the strength of the rear suspension on the 4Runner. I have a WD hitch, but the pressure on the spring bars is minimal to achieve level towing.
The Tacoma no longer has the 4.0, they now have a 3.5l V6, which is not one that I'm as fond of....

I loved my 4Runner (that did have the 4.0), but, it was rated to 5000lbs, right at the absolute limit that I'd need (not to mention, over on the tongue). I really didn't want to not have a margin of safety. So I traded my 4Runner for a Sierra (I'd previously had a Sierra, kinda missed having a Sierra....).

Could I have used it and gotten away with it? Probably for awhile. But in the long run, I felt better about stepping up the tow vehicle.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
2X Leslie's comments.

The Highlander had 55K of towing miles with the 20 and she performed wonderfully, no complaints. However, I just traded it in for Grand Cherokee LTD with a tow package. Feel much better on the tow capacity with actual margin, but especially the TW.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
I towed our 19CB with a 2012 Tacoma 6 cylinder, and it performed well as long as I was not in the mountains. I also added helper springs. On long inclines (or even shorter ones), it would gear down and scream along. Mileage falls off a cliff and gas stops increased accordingly. On long descents, the brakes got mushy towards the end. I now have a Tundra pulling the same trailer. Ironically, I am getting the same average mileage while towing, but much more relaxed, much better range, and a better sense that it has a good margin of error in any given situation.

The Tacoma is a brilliant truck, and gave me legendary reliability, but if you have a choice, nobody ever complains about having too much TV.

That said, if 98% of your truck use is without a 4000-500lb trailer, the Tacoma is the best all around vehicle I have ever owned. YMMV
Fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote