Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Heated Storage vs. Non Heated both indoor

I have an option of choosing either Indoor heated or indoor non heated. I have winterized my trailer. My question is does it matter? Are there advantages or disadvantages? The price difference is small. Thanks
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I don’t think it matters. Even in a heated garage I would probably blow the lines out anyway in case something goes bad with the heat (when it does, the weather is always at its worst).

I ended up building a heated garage, but for reasons other than “I want to store my trailer in it.” I suppose the advantage is that you can stay in the trailer without having to run the furnace .
Old 10-27-2020, 06:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
We frequently winter camp so we like heated so we don’t have to re winterize every time. If you aren’t using your rig over the winter then unheated would be ok.
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
AbbyA and nrn, thanks for replying, I do not intend to use my trailer during the winter months and am storing at my local fairgrounds where they have indoor storage for trailers, boats, etc during winter months. I am going to opt for the in-door non-heated option. The trailer is winterized and Pinked. I did this last year without a problem, downside is I can't access it till 1st of April. I am a worrier so now i am thinking rodents, but that wasn't a problem last time, I hung two moisture Damp-rid and baking soda in refrigerator and propped open doors. The Damp-rid did accumulate moisture, so that wasn't a waste. Thanks again.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
I suppose the obvious question here is: how much extra is it to heat it? To me it would be worth 100 bucks or so per month, the ability to hook up and go during the winter would be pretty awesome.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
For me and if I was in upstate NY, I would go with the heated even though you have already winterized. Especially since the price is about the same. Then you don't have to worry your batteries are not charged enough. A fully charged battery can handle temps way below zero but a low charge can be a problem. Also if you do need to visit your AS, you will be much more comfortable also.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Lombard , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
AbbyA and nrn, thanks for replying, I do not intend to use my trailer during the winter months and am storing at my local fairgrounds where they have indoor storage for trailers, boats, etc during winter months. I am going to opt for the in-door non-heated option. The trailer is winterized and Pinked. I did this last year without a problem, downside is I can't access it till 1st of April. I am a worrier so now i am thinking rodents, but that wasn't a problem last time, I hung two moisture Damp-rid and baking soda in refrigerator and propped open doors. The Damp-rid did accumulate moisture, so that wasn't a waste. Thanks again.
If cost is not an issue, I'd opt for temp controlled....makes things easier on batteriers, interior wood cabinetry and and other components, which won't be subject to excessive temperature and humidity flucuations. Just my 2 cents.
Midwest Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #8
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
We live in WY so heated is a better choice than not heated. We currently haul Trilla 175 miles north to store her in a climate controlled (and concrete pad) enclosed storage. Soon we will have her stored at our new house that has a shop to hold all of our vehicles and toys.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I store in an friends unheated insulated garage. It's surprising how much ground heat permeates up through the concrete floor and keeps the trailer in most cases at or above freezing during the very cold days and nights. I do blow out the lines and use RV antifreeze however.

Even if it was heated I'd winterize the trailer anyway since any long term loss of power to that garage could cause temps to dip below freezing dependent upon the length of time you lose power and outside temps. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Just getting the trailer inside will do wonders on minimizing UV exposure and the constant exposure to rain and the elements. My Classic is almost 17 years old and has had indoor storage when not in use 15 of those 17 years. It really makes a difference.

I pull the batteries and bring them home to my attached garage and keep them on trickle chargers during the winter season.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Manchester , New Hampshire
Our first New England Winter

Since we just moved to New England I decided to go with a secure facility here that keeps the rigs warm all winter and the batteries on trickle charge. They have backups, so if the heat does fail for some reason, the back up kicks in and warms the place. They actually are insured against freezing. All this may be overkill, but I sleep much better knowing that the Tardis is snug and safe during the months we don't use it. We would love to pull it out and make a run to Florida for Christmas, but I worry about the few days in the cold country getting there.
Last year, in Texas, I winterized the trailer and kept it in a non-heated fully insulated garage. It doesn't freeze that often in north Texas, but Murphy is alive and well in my life, so I try not to take chances. Especially with my AS.
MacCoroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hampden , Maine
winter storage

We live in central Maine where the minimum winter temp is around -15F, and usually not sustained for any length of time. But we can get extremes periodically. We store our AS with proper winterization in an unheated garage, well protected from wind. I keep the batteries on a trickle charge. Have had no problems at all with the interior damage or with any humidity buildup. Remember that humidity tends to be very low in winter.
airmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:29 PM   #12

Bonney Lake , Arkansas
Do I need to winterize if my Basecamp X is hooked up to power?

Along these same lines, we plan to camp in the winter as well, so we have our BCX outside here in WA State, but hooked to power. We have the tanks empty, but have not officially winterized. Are we OK?
Hofbcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofbcx View Post
Along these same lines, we plan to camp in the winter as well, so we have our BCX outside here in WA State, but hooked to power. We have the tanks empty, but have not officially winterized. Are we OK?
If you haven’t blown out the lines and emptied the water heater, you’re vulnerable. The tanks are not the issue.

I’d leave the furnace set to 40 or 50 until you can properly winterize.
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote