Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Fresh water level stuck at 100%

Is there is a way to reset the fresh water readings on the digital panal of my 2020 Bambi 22fb? The grey water seems to keep a good consistent reading. It’s at 25% now while the fresh water level is still at 100%. Weird.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
I hope somebody knowledgeable can answer this question. I sure can't.

None of my 7 Airstreams have ever had accurate gauges. OK...6 of them didn't read correctly ever. My '50 Globetrotter doesn't have a FW or BW tank so no gauges to be wrong. I have low expectations. I just accept the fact that they are historically inaccurate and live with it that way.
Hope you have better luck than I do. I know you probably have high expectations as a result of your investment in the A/S product. But that has not been the outcome for me. But I wouldn't own another brand. I just live with this issue and work around it.
Sorry I can't give you the answer you deserve.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
One thing you might try is to clean the tanks.
Sanitize the fresh water tank with bleach to kill algae that could be growing in the tanks. Use dish soap, bleach, and water softener in the gray or black tank to remove grease/scum/paper. If there is anything stuck on that bridges between the water level sensor's contacts it can give a false reading.

The owner's manual describes sanitizing the fresh water tank.
Google "the geo method for cleaning rv tank" for the gray and black tanks
Old 05-31-2020, 04:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
Is there is a way to reset the fresh water readings on the digital panal of my 2020 Bambi 22fb? The grey water seems to keep a good consistent reading. It’s at 25% now while the fresh water level is still at 100%. Weird.
Is this a new trailer, and have you always had these problems? A call to the dealer or Airstream's 800 number might be in order. The metering system may be defective IMO.

Long shot . . . you could also turn off the 12-volt circuit breaker for the power to monitor system [will require some R&D], in hopes that its brain etc. will reboot correctly.

In your AS briefcase, along with your owner's manual, there should be a mfg. pamphlet for this system. Any helpful guidance there, or in the owner's manual? Who is the mfg.?

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Replace?

We had the same issue with our 2018 20 foot. We had it replaced under warranty and the new panel is better. Not sure we will ever really trust it though.

Abby A
2018 20’ FC
2019 GMC Sierra
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Auburn , California
Just a thought, are you hooked up to a water supply? If so, the trailer will use that source and not draw from the onboarding tank.
Davedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Our 2019 reads 100% and 0% accurately. In between depending on how the trailer is sitting the percentages in between will vary.

The grey and black water tanks hold different volumes. Percentages of either do not relate directly to the fresh water tank percentage used.

I will watch the fresh water tank percentage changes on this next trip. From what I recall, the reading does not change quickly using small amounts of fresh water.

Next time you begin to fill the fresh water tank... have someone monitor the readings as you fill. This is what I will do just to see how the system does work. It may measure weight? Or does it measure volume within the tank?
Old 05-31-2020, 08:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Our 2019 reads 100% and 0% accurately. In between depending on how the trailer is sitting the percentages in between will vary.

The grey and black water tanks hold different volumes. Percentages of either do not relate directly to the fresh water tank percentage used.

I will watch the fresh water tank percentage changes on this next trip. From what I recall, the reading does not change quickly using small amounts of fresh water.

Next time you begin to fill the fresh water tank... have someone monitor the readings as you fill. This is what I will do just to see how the system does work. It may measure weight? Or does it measure volume within the tank?
The percentage on the fresh water reading stays on 100% and doesn’t change. I’m not hooked up to city water. It only started doing this after I filled up my fresh water tank. At the moment It should probably read somewhere around 70-75%.

I’ll run water into the sink and the grey water reading seems to be working just fine. I have flushed the toilet lots of times and the black water stays on 4%. I just realized this.

I think I read somewhere on this forum that if I hold the fresh water button down and then press the voltage button it might reset...or something like that. I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.

Thanks for the helpful replies!
Old 05-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Shane, these systems, especially on older trailers, have always been prone to issues. If I were you, I would take it in and haven them fix it under warranty. When you buy a new trailer, part of the big price is the warranty.

If you have the documentation that deals with your tank monitoring system then it wouldn't hurt to find it, read it and follow the recommendations for a reset. Again, you can take it back and have them deal with it.

That aside, hope you enjoy your new Airstream.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
. . .
I think I read somewhere on this forum that if I hold the fresh water button down and then press the voltage button it might reset...or something like that. I haven’t had a chance to try that yet.
. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
Long shot . . . you could also turn off the 12-volt circuit breaker for the power to monitor system [will require some R&D], in hopes that its brain etc. will reboot correctly.
. . .
In your AS briefcase, along with your owner's manual, there should be a mfg. pamphlet for this system. Any helpful guidance there, or in the owner's manual? Who is the mfg.?
. . .
Looking forward to the results of your R&D.

Peter
Old 05-31-2020, 08:48 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Hey Peter, I’ll surely post my findings. It might be a warranty issue but I can’t take it in now because I have a beach trip planed in two weeks and then another trip planed hopefully next month.

As for the “reboot” thing. I tried that with the battery main cut off. I honestly think it needs to be reset and that there is possibly nothing at all wrong with the sensor. Like others have said, I just need to locate guide that deals with the sensor panel.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Auburn , California
When I got my 2018 FB sport (similar model, assume tank capacities are the same), I drained my grey and black tanks completely, than slowly added 2 gallons of water at a time and tracked the % readout. The black tank hit 100% reading when the tank was at 77% actual....I thought that was a good thing, kind of like an early warning device My grey tank was almost dead on accurate all the way to full. Unfortunately, I have not done the fresh tank (that would help you most), perhaps another "Pandemic project:. You might want to try that on your fresh tanks....

On another note, I did have a problem with my fresh water sensor, I got an error code. The wiring was loose and I had the dealer fix under warranty. I spoke to Airstream and they suggested that I insist that the dealer lower the belly pan for access and NOT cut a hole for access to the tank....all is good now.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
You could always trade your 2020 Bambi in for a 1964 Sovereign like ours. There are no gauges for any of our tanks! :-)
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Auburn , California
Old 05-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Nancy watches the interior. I am the outside person.

She said the first change from 100% seemed to be around 80%. Nothing in between. I recall a 19% and added five gallons I had in a water jug.

The 39 gallons of FRESH Water in our trailer may include the 6 gallons that goes into the hot water tank. So you may be starting with 33 gallons in the fresh water tank at 100%.

If you fill your fresh water tank before leaving home, and then... pressure up the system upon your first stop. Subtract 6 gallons to fill the Hot Water Tank and maybe two gallons to force the air out of the pex lines into the sinks, indoor and outdoor shower lines and toilet.

We pressure up the system first with the City Water, which fills the hot water tank first. Then force the air out in the process so the pump runs quiet from each sink, showers and toilet. Then top off the fresh water tank and it will read 100%, but I fill the tank until it runs out of the inlet... so it is maybe 105%.

We use our fresh water 100% for drinking water, cooking and washing hands as we are Off the Grid Boondocking and have four gallon jug for our two Blue Heelers and a five gallon jug filled while on the road at a Service Station.

When leaving a site, showers as we will be able to top off the fresh water at a truck stop.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Auburn , California
First time uploading a photo, hope this one comes through.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22 FB tank readings.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	369038  
Old 05-31-2020, 09:51 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

For about $15 on Amazon you can get a gizmo that goes on the end of a hose and reads gallons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you are going to "calibrate" the tanks, it's worth getting. As mentioned above, all the tank readings change as the trailer "tip" changes so accuracy even with calibration will not be great.

Best bet on your fresh water tank is that the wiring to the sensor has come loose or shorted. That is either going to be a "lots of fun" home project or a back to the dealer sort of thing. Pull the panel and see if anything behind it is loose. If not, it's at the tank sensor ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #18
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
This is why I connect a portable water softener to any water source I use to put water into my Airstream with. There is a good possibility that your sensors are covered with hard water lime scale. You should try and sanitize your tank with bleach and fresh water. Pour a half cup of bleach into your Tal and take your A/S for a tow. The sloshing water should clean the sensor. When finished drain the tank and check your monitor. Be sure to rinse your tank after having bleach in it. This method has worked for me.
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
I would drain the tank further to get the level well below the 75% level you think its at currently. The resolution of these systems is not great and you may find it starts indicating something below 100% if you get the water level lower.-- Frank
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
For about $15 on Amazon you can get a gizmo that goes on the end of a hose and reads gallons.
. . .

Just make sure that you will be able to retract the hose from the water tank's fill spigot, after you measure the gallons at the bottom of the tank . . .

Tanks!

Peter