Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Fixed - Inconvenient and Awkward Stabilizer Jack Under The Door

You don't have to lurk around here for very long before seeing a thread about the location of the Stabilizer Jack under the door on the Bambi 16RB and some suggestions on how to solve the problem. We all know that the positioning of that Jack is a complete failure of engineering and design by Airstream (one of many, IMHO). Here's how I fixed it ....

Climb underneath the coach and you'll see the jack's screw is perfectly (and inconveniently) aligned with the step (see red line in picture).

Click image for larger version

Name:	StabJack Before1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	371973

The jack is mounted to a bracket that straddles the propane line. This bracket causes the downward angle of the screw and sets up the problematic alignment with the step. I removed the inner bolt, added a 1" block of wood, inserted a 1" longer bolt. Simple!

Click image for larger version

Name:	StabJack After1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	371.4 KB
ID:	371974

The 1" thick block changes the angle of the screw making it more accessible (not perfect, but much better). Now I can insert the crank above the step to access the screw. No more strange body contortions to hold the step up while cranking the jack.

A simple fix that will bring a smile to your face every time you crank that jack.

Note: The 1" longer bolt needs to be threaded all the way to the head. I don't know why AS did this and I've never seen a bracket made this way - but the hole in the bracket is threaded. In a typical bracket, the hole is slightly larger than the bolt allowing the bolt to easily pass through the bracket. While inserting the new bolt, you have to hold the bracket and new block up against the coach as you screw the bolt in. Otherwise, the bolt will tighten against the bracket and stop turning before it tightens against the block. I hope this makes sense. Another (and perhaps better) option is to drill out the hole in the bracket to allow the bolt to pass through it.

It is a special bolt they use. Look closely and you'll see it is kind of triangular. I think this makes it lock in better. The new bolt is a typical round bolt from the local hardware store. I put some blue threadlocker on it.

Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i welded on an extended ACME thread. then added a LONG hex nut so that the end is in line with the outside frame.

now i just use a drill to raise/lower the stabilizer
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote