Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
First day with Sport 22FB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	586.3 KB
ID:	320186

We are loving our new 2019 Sport 22 FB Airstream. We had a Casita for four years. It's a pretty big upgrade and we still awestruck. Below are a few things we are having issues with, but overall we love it.

One annoying issue is not being able to play the TV though the speakers when on cable or antenna. DVD works fine through speakers.

Bathroom and stove vents would have been nice.

Wish there was more exterior lighting.

Double sink is nice but lost counter space.

Towing with my Tacoma is a little shaky at 65 mph. Dealer installed weight distribution hitch. I think it was just high winds, we will see next time I tow.
aacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I’m not familiar with the electronics in the new model, but my stereo has a auxiliary input on the front. I just snaked a long audio cable from the headphone jack of the TV to the input on the stereo... wasted effort in my case as we have yet to actually use the TV. You will find it more problematic when the A/C is on. We tend to use an iPad to watch things with headphones anyhow, as our daughter is in bed by that point of the day.

Exterior lighting is just left for you to find what you love. My family has SOBs with lots of exterior lighting, too much in fact. They never turn them on as it is uncomfortably bright and just attracts more bugs. There are light options that connect to the awning, or you can just buy any nice string of outdoor lights and clip them to the awning. Rechargeable LED lanterns are also great, as it gets the light where you _need_ it.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we bought a bigger, higher quality TV/monitor it also has a built in DVD.

we ran a new audio cable along the RS wall and plug it in the amp. then select AUX input

we also replaced the cheap speaker with better ones
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacreek View Post
Attachment 320186

Towing with my Tacoma is a little shaky at 65 mph. Dealer installed weight distribution hitch. I think it was just high winds, we will see next time I tow.

get a good sway controller along with WD

did you get a brake controller also, that is a must
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
I think we will upgrade the TV later or get a sound bar

We have a sway controller and brake controller. I will tighten up the sway to see if that helps

Good point about the we exterior light and bugs
Old 08-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Attachment 320186

That means you should slow down some more. Your going to " feel " it. Its a big huge sail. If theres high winds, you should be down in the 55mph range.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
That means you should slow down some more. Your going to " feel " it. Its a big huge sail. If theres high winds, you should be down in the 55mph range.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Gets scary when the speed limit is 75. I may just adjust depending on conditions.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
That's kind of what I was thinking. Gets scary when the speed limit is 75. I may just adjust depending on conditions.

You live and learn when towing. But a lot of the spooks' that folks get while towing is they are going just a little too fast is all.

But then again it may just be how it handles sometimes.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Great to hear your first trip went well. I echo all your noted shortcomings as our 2018 is missing the same. But we have learned to live with(out) them.

We tow with a 4Runner (essentially a Tacoma) and use an Equi-I-Zer WD and anti sway that makes the trip surprisingly relaxing. It has been great in our 6000 mile journey thus far.

The 4RUNNER is a bit heavier than the Tacoma and the setup never allows the “tail to wag the dog” so to speak. Your Tacoma may be getting some shimmy due to air slipstream drag in the bed. A tonneau cover fixes that. I tow 75+ and have to look in the rear view to know Baby Doe is still in tow. Keep the tires filled to 80psi.

We added custom teakwood flooring mats to the shower and bathroom (teakworks4u.com). Made a lot of difference in our comfort and floor cleanliness during a long trip. All in all I think the 22FB is a great choice for a compact RV that is built to last.

Welcome to club.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Attachment 320186

One annoying issue is not being able to play the TV though the speakers when on cable or antenna. DVD works fine through speakers.
You have the JVC dvd/receiver and LG 22" TV? If so the audio should be working through the ceiling speakers. There is a special adapter hidden behind your JVC that uses the HDMI cable from the TV to carry audio back to the JVC aux audio input on the back of it. That adapter is powered by an extra USB power jack that is also hidden back there. So I would check all those connections. It's only a couple of screws to pull that box up there above the sink that conceals all the JVC connections.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Attachment 320186We are loving our new 2019 Sport 22 FB Airstream. We had a Casita for four years. It's a pretty big upgrade and we still awestruck. Below are a few things we are having issues with, but overall we love it.
Congratulations. That is quite an upgrade. Know you will enjoy it for many years to come.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Just noticed several new Texas owners on this thread. That's always good to see.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by keweenawbee View Post
You have the JVC dvd/receiver and LG 22" TV? If so the audio should be working through the ceiling speakers. There is a special adapter hidden behind your JVC that uses the HDMI cable from the TV to carry audio back to the JVC aux audio input on the back of it. That adapter is powered by an extra USB power jack that is also hidden back there. So I would check all those connections. It's only a couple of screws to pull that box up there above the sink that conceals all the JVC connections.
I checked all connections per your instructions. Yes all is ok. However it appears that to get TV to play through the overhead speakers you must be playing a DVD via the JVC system. There is no “back flow” from TV via HDMI when the TV is on external antenna. That is what any of us are missing. While camping and on the outside HD antenna we would like to hear the TV sound overhead.

Did I miss something or a critical step? Thanks.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #14
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Take your speed as needed. I travel roads that have higher limits, but, I stay to the right and rarely exceed 62 mph. It's ok with me if others overtake and pass me... I prefer that to those who will tailgate. They're the ones who scare me. 😲 😱

Safe and happy travels to you. 😊
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Been towing for about 400 miles today with no problems. Gets shaky if I creep above 65 with wine and traffic so I try to keep it 65 and below.

I have noticed lots of sawdust in front of fridge after towing,is that common? I will try and post a picture later.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Take your speed as needed. I travel roads that have higher limits, but, I stay to the right and rarely exceed 62 mph. It's ok with me if others overtake and pass me... I prefer that to those who will tailgate. They're the ones who scare me. 😲 😱

Safe and happy travels to you. 😊

^^ this.

Being in a hurry with an RV will, eventually come back to bite you, and it wont be cheap.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Hitch

I agree with towing to fast but I would question your hitch set up, also tires on tow vehicle. There are many factors not just speed.
When hitch installed was a new hole drilled so ball would go in closer to axle?
Was height of ball measured correct and is the ball angle correct?
So not always speed

George
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I wonder why a stove vent wasn't built in to your model.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #19
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Go to the Cat Scales and weigh you combination before your next trip and see if you are transferring about i/3 the tongue weight on to each TV axle and 1/3 back to the TT axle(s). If not, adjust your spring bar tension to achieve approximately that distribution.
Then there is always the Hensley Cub that is designed for smaller trailers. That hitch design eliminates sway before it can develop. No white knuckles.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Fort Myers , Florida
Our adapter was missing. That is why the speakers did not carry the sound. Bought one on amazon and attached it behind the Jvc.
Lilyfielding is offline   Reply With Quote