Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2018, 06:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Allentown , Pennsylvania
Same Issues

We just bought the exact same AS and really love it but I too noticed there is no way to play the TV through the overhead speakers. AS really missed an important mark with this. With the AC running you cannot hear the TV if you are in bed.

Has anyone had an issue with the Omni Antenna? We cannot receive ANYTHING with ours. I took it back to Colonial RV in NJ and they were not able to fix it. We were out a few weeks ago to a site that I know we should have received signals and got nothing so a trip to Walmart and $10 bucks later I bought a cheap set of Rabbit Ears. Instantly we received 22 stations. Any suggestions anyone?

thanks!!
The Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Unless the flutter is caused by a tire or wheel out of balance, I’m still thinking it may be spoiled air in the back of the Tacoma as it pile up against the gate. Try opening the rear bed gate of the truck and taking the AS out on a highway and drive 70 mph. See what happens. If it works as I imagine, a tonneau cover or bed cap would be in order.

Airstream’s are so aerodynamic I cannot imagine any speed where it does not pull smoothly barring a wheel/tire out of balance or a problem induced by the TV. I agree with those who say to weigh the entire setup, but only as a last resort.

Did your dealer go over the complete cinch-up of the WD system and explain that when it is correct, the TV and AS will appear as a single, straight line from the side view? Did they verify the load capacity of the Tacoma? Just trying to think why your Airstream 22 would pull any different than mine. There are times when I exceed the speed limit (not bragging) to pass a truck and realize I’m towing. I feel absolute no sway or flutter.

When you solve the mystery, please share the solution so we can learn. Good luck.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Here are pictures of my setup as we drove it home. Unfortunately we could not find a good deal in Texas so we purchased at Chilhowee in Tennessee.

We are getting a bed cover regardless for secure storage. Maybe that will help. Towing on the way home was fine, not too many issues with sway. I am not crazy about the eaz lift with the sway bar. I really liked the Andersen we had with our previous trailer.

Also is a picture of some items that “shook” out onto the floor. I am hoping they were just left behind during construction and not anything important.

Thanks for all the input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2971.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	736.3 KB
ID:	320451Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2970.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	710.2 KB
ID:	320452Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	492.8 KB
ID:	320453Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2972.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	320454
aacreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
SANTA MARIA , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacreek View Post
. . . Gets shaky if I creep above 65 with wine and traffic so I try to keep it 65 and below.
Wine may be the reason your shaking anyways?
Central Coast of California
Calvary Chapel of Santa Maria
pastorwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:47 AM   #25
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Here are pictures of my setup as we drove it home. Unfortunately we could not find a good deal in Texas so we purchased at Chilhowee in Tennessee.

We are getting a bed cover regardless for secure storage. Maybe that will help. Towing on the way home was fine, not too many issues with sway. I am not crazy about the eaz lift with the sway bar. I really liked the Andersen we had with our previous trailer.
I use an Eaz-Lift that was set up by Can-Am in London ON and I am very pleased with both the WD and the anti-sway performance. There are many factors that can contribute to trailer sway, starting with a properly tuned lash up.

From your photos it appears to me that the trailer is sitting very nose high. This could be because your ball mount is not low enough, even though it is in the last set of holes on the drop. Perhaps a longer drop would help. This is important to get the WD tune in. The low tail of the trailer will be more susceptible to sway.

The hitch head does not seem to be tilted down towards the aft of the hitch. The Eaz-lift uses washers that change this angle with the adjustment of the bolt.

I also don't see any anti-sway bars. Perhaps you only have one, mounted on the curb side. Two of the anti-sway bars would also be better than just one. They need to be tightened very tightly when going faster and in windy conditions.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:

Also is a picture of some items that “shook” out onto the floor. I am hoping they were just left behind during construction and not anything important.

Attachment 320451Attachment 320452Attachment 320453Attachment 320454
Those are the Wago lever nuts. That may have something to do with your stereo problem and the usb outlet in that white enclosure box up there. I use those Wago lever nuts a lot. Did not know or ever think about their being subject to vibration. They sure are handy time savers though.
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
[QUOTE=aacreek;2145654]Here are pictures of my setup as we drove it home. Unfortunately we could not find a good deal in Texas so we purchased at Chilhowee in Tennessee.

I really agree with Keweenawbee, Tacoma looks a little 'up' in the nose which means the hitch may need to be lowered prior to hitching so the equalizer bars will bring the chassis into a straight line. On a second thought, can you go back to the dealer and tell them the problem and let them correct it? You may be to far away but I thought I would mention it.

I really thought most all AS dealers were pushing Equal-I-Zer since they have been an AS joint venture much like Zip Dee since way back. In fact, E-I-Z features an AS on it's splash net page. I don't want to talk too much about the WD anti sway subject too much here - reams have been written on the forum and everyone has their personal opinion - just like...well you know.

Ok, Im sure the WD hitch you have can be successfully adjusted to lower the Tac nose and the AS tail some. Have you tried to drive with the tail gate down yet? That may tell you a lot. Also, you may want to test a heavy tool box or ice chest in the rear bathroom for the trip home. Don't do it forever, just a test of the setup and sway.

I'm pretty sure the Tac/4Runner have almost identical curb and towing weights but it may not be so. Back to finding a good dealer to set up the WD. Will be following your progress.

Will you be coming back into Texas via Texarkana? Hwy 82 is about the worst road on our recent 3200 mile trip to Michigan. Just a warning.

Mike
Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Did you turn the radio / tuner / cd “on” and set it to AUX. adjust the volume upward... then it plays they the speakers
Marchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchitect View Post
Did you turn the radio / tuner / cd “on” and set it to AUX. adjust the volume upward... then it plays they the speakers

Yes, I did try that and it didn’t work.

I am going to read over my eaz lift manual to check for correct installation.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, I did try that and it didn’t work.

I am going to read over my eaz lift manual to check for correct installation.
Back on the radio/TV issue: I took the entire JVC unit out and checked the wiring. It dawned on me that the units (TV and JVC) are hooked via HDMI for one reason - to play DVDs to the TV. When you do that, the overhead speakers work fine.

Bad news: when you want to use the outside HD TV antenna for local stations there is apparently no way to back-fill the sound to the JVC to play overhead other than run a long headphone cable from the TV to the front AUX input. None.

While camping we do like to watch a few stations on HD antenna. We turn off the AC so we can hear it. Or we just don headphones and watch stuff on our iPads. It's camping for gosh sakes {we say}. There are trade offs and this makes our return to home base so good.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
For what it's worth, I tow a 28' International with a full size F250 diesel with a Equalizer WD hitch. I'm still dialing in the WD set-up but I have not experienced sway in the 7K plus miles we've towed both in the mountains and on the flat. One thing though I don't do is tow above 65mph. I take my time and enjoy the tow. I leave my ego at home and don't mind one bit when people go around me. So far no one has had an issue with that. On those two lane roads that don't have passing lanes I try to pull over to let folks by when I can. My biggest challenge is figuring out how to work the merge lanes in and around cities where there are a lot of impatient and aggressive drivers. Based on your pictures, I'd check that hitch and WD set-up, if the hitch ball height is too high resulting in the rear of the trailer being low it could be contributing to some of the sway you are experiencing. I'd also consider towing between 62-65. IMHO. Be safe.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i ran an audio cable from the television to the RCVR and plug it into the AUX

out NEW larger TV has a DVD/blue ray player. thus all sound comes out through the AS speakers(which we upgraded also)
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
I found out what was shaking loose, the sound system. One of the screws holding it came loose. Can anyone tell me of any of this wiring needs correcting? The pictures show all the wires that were not connected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2996.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	320613Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2997.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	320614Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2998.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	320615Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2999.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	320616
Old 08-23-2018, 05:09 AM   #34
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
I found out what was shaking loose, the sound system. One of the screws holding it came loose. Can anyone tell me of any of this wiring needs correcting? The pictures show all the wires that were not connected.

Attachment 320613Attachment 320614Attachment 320615Attachment 320616
The stereo/radio that you have is also for use in automobiles. The wires labeled for "Steering Wheel Remote Control" etc are for use in a car and obviously are used in an Airstream installation.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:18 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
eden prairie , Minnesota
Quote:

Attachment 320613Attachment 320614Attachment 320615Attachment 320616
The aux audio connector is not in the photo, plus the hdmi adapter requires power from the usb power outlet that is floating back there (and connected to trailer DC power with those WAGO wire lever nuts you found). What was I not speaking English before?
keweenawbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lake Forest , Illinois
I believe single-axles are a little more prone to sway that dual-axle models but it should be pretty good anyway - I would slow down a bit and it takes a while to get the weight distribution/sway control dialed in properly. Ask you dealer for advice and get them to do proper adjustments. I never tow about 60 actually (27 FC FB model)... better safe than sorry... bursting to 65 if I HAVE to overtake something.
kjbishop2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:06 PM   #37
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
Congrats! We bought ours last February and we LOVE it! I pull mine with a 2009 Tacoma. Just went from BC to Utah - 5000km. No issues at all. I just have the distribution bars and never bother to install the sway bar (apparently you cannot back up with it). Gas mileage does take a dive, but since I mostly drive without a trailer, hard to justify buying something bigger.

Welcome to the Tacoma-Sport 22 combo!
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Have you double-check the tire pressures on the vehicle and the trailer? This may improve the handling if you can dial those in to where they should be.

We use the equalizer hitch + sway bars with our 22 and now with our 25 and find it easy to hitch up and adequate for our use. (Our TV is a Tundra, so a bit larger than when you have).

One tip I have is that the bins that are designed to keep ice cubes in the door of a residential refrigerator fit really great in the 22 sport overhead bins, and are great for CDs and DVDs.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCQH View Post
Congrats! We bought ours last February and we LOVE it! I pull mine with a 2009 Tacoma. Just went from BC to Utah - 5000km. No issues at all. I just have the distribution bars and never bother to install the sway bar (apparently you cannot back up with it). Gas mileage does take a dive, but since I mostly drive without a trailer, hard to justify buying something bigger.

Welcome to the Tacoma-Sport 22 combo!

Beautiful picture!!! Trying to plan a trip from Texas to Seattle via Yellowstone next year. Going to stay relatively local till then.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Tyler , Texas
No live TV over speakers was a problem for us too. The problem is that the HDMI from the receiver is video only and there is no audio output on the (dumb LG) TV. We replaced this TV with another Samsung Smart TV that had an aux audio output. We then ran a aux cable from the back of the TV to the front aux input of the receiver. Wala. Live TV over the overhead speakers.

Added bonus. If we use USB on the TV to play movies/tv shows, the audio is also outputted to the overhead speakers.
Vancelot is offline   Reply With Quote