Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Gave up on strap on and clip on mirrors--lost too many of them to the wind across Texas...

Went with an OEM replacement mirror that can flip outward to gain a better angle, and it also works with my Taco's control system...plugs right in.

Don't seem to be able to find the website...they make mirrors for darn near anything...
Finally found it: https://www.1aauto.com/

I used the Toyota Tacoma ones--good install instructions and video available, and the mirrors seem to hold still and not vibrate in the wind.

The best feature is that when the mirror head is flipped outward (and upward), the 'sense' of the power mirror switch is still correct (up is still 'up' on the switch). Install did take removing the interior door panel on the Tacoma--simple enough.

They have models for many other vehicles, and feature sets that include turn signals and heated mirrors if desired. No financial interest, but I am a happy customer...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:13 PM   #22
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonekingfish View Post
I'm planning a long haul with my 8ft wide Bambi Sport 16 using a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Given the new batteries, sway control system, etc. that I've just purchased, I'm looking to get some decent yet fairly inexpensive (<$120 for 2) extended towing mirrors to buckle or strap onto my Jeep mirrors.

The reviews for the Universal CLIP ON CIPA's have been rather abysmal so I'm forgetting about those. Anyone have any good/acceptable experience with any of the following?

CIPA 11650, Deluxe DOOR MOUNT Towing Mirror,
GRAND AERO clip on towing mirrors - 2 PER BOX, or
Fit System 3891 Deluxe Universal Clip-on Towing Mirror
Or any others???

Maybe "you get what you pay for" is the answer here. Thank you!
I'm a last-minute-Larry and I'll keep this short and sweet.

After hours of research I have two recommendations based solely on my specific needs.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500. A pair of Longview mirrors under $70 not only look great but, get the job done as well. I'm sure there are other mirrors out there that extend further than these but, they look far less stylish.

Second recommendation - - Autoanything.com
These guys pulled everything out at the last minute and had these mirrors sent to me OVERNIGHT, get ready, FREE.

I also own CIPA and they can't touch these Longviews. Read the reviews because some models will vibrate requiring frequent adjustments.

We just returned from a 3500 mile trip and never once did I have to adjust for vibration.
Nuff said.

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Nevada City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
We had some that attached to our Jeep Grand Cherokee's mirrors. They vibrated and it was difficult to see out of. A gust of wind from an oncoming semi on a narrow road ripped it off and it was destroyed. We eventually bought Mckesh mirrors. They are worth every penny. They dont mar the finish in any way. Just make sure the mirror's contact points are clean.

https://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors/

Paul

I picked up a set of these from another member very reasonably. I got a new 1/2 ton truck over the weekend and set them up. Very sturdy and a great view rearward. Looking forward to towing with them soon.
WaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
I'll second the Longview. Bought from etrailer. Fit nicely on my RAM 1500
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
towing mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I like the ones made to match the tow vehicle.
https://www.amazon.com/Fit-System-81...ds=tow+mirrors
It doesn't take much to see traffic behind you or in your blind spot.

I have the same as Mollysdad. I have had them since I bought my Toyota Tundra in 2007. There is tightening knob on the back that tightens the mirrors to the Tundra mirrors. I keep them on all the time.

wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I towed a 23 foot and later a 25 foot Airstream without extended mirrors. This was with a 2006 Tundra, a 2008 Tundra, 2012 Tundra and today the 25 foot is towed with a F350 Pickup that came standard WITH mirrors than extend.

Never using attached or extended mirrors was so simple and convenient, I never had the need. In order to see 'behind' your trailer, you lightly tweak the steering wheel and the trailer will move just enough to see as far as you like. Even then, it is not necessary. I could see either lane easily.

The biggest issue is not the lack of extended mirrors. It is the passenger's side mirror indicates whatever vehicle, you have passed, as being further away than they actually are. This is a safety feature, I understand, BUT... tow mirrors do minimize this part, as they are not optically made like your current mirror on the right side.

My friend pulling a 25 foot Arctic Fox behind his 2000 Tundra (narrow) and later a 2008 Tundra (wide) never needed extended mirrors. You move your head and can see more than you would be led to believe by those using these attached mirrors.

Of course, I may be in the minority in my experiences. With your trailer, it is even less of a need for adding extensions.

Another problem with larger tow vehicles and these mirrors... In narrow two way traffic, in a small town, your mirrors will tend to 'collide' with vehicles with their tow mirrors... extended, that are parked alongside the lane.

Everyone has a preference from previous experience. It never has been an issue for me or my wife while towing. Now, with the large mirrors that are controlled from inside the truck cab... I guess I have been able to compare both. Either works for me. Sometimes I do not extend my Ford's mirrors and have to be reminded.

Enjoy your Airstream. Mirrors are only one of many things you may or may not need in the future.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
loves park , Illinois
Rampage mirror

Howdy, check Amazon under jeep mirror extensions , there are several models , Rampage brand is the official supplier to Jeep, I have them , work great , easy to strap on, went through a "touch car wash " and they didnt move
chasrolex69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:42 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
I'm a last-minute-Larry and I'll keep this short and sweet.

After hours of research I have two recommendations based solely on my specific needs.

I have a Dodge Ram 1500. A pair of Longview mirrors under $70 not only look great but, get the job done as well. I'm sure there are other mirrors out there that extend further than these but, they look far less stylish.

Second recommendation - - Autoanything.com
These guys pulled everything out at the last minute and had these mirrors sent to me OVERNIGHT, get ready, FREE.

I also own CIPA and they can't touch these Longviews. Read the reviews because some models will vibrate requiring frequent adjustments.

We just returned from a 3500 mile trip and never once did I have to adjust for vibration.
Nuff said.

I tired the website Autoanything and while they have a variety of nicely molded towing mirrors, none are for Jeeps.
Lonekingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camano20 View Post
I'll second the Longview. Bought from etrailer. Fit nicely on my RAM 1500
I looks like the Longviews are not available for the Tundra, back to CIPA.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #30
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
You can obtain extension mirrors for late model JK at https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20154034331
Old 05-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You can obtain extension mirrors for late model JK at https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towi...id=20154034331
The original post asked about Jeep Grand Cherokee mirrors. The JK is the Wrangler.

Over the years, we have looked for extension mirrors for 3 models of Grand Cherokee, with the newest being a 2016. So far, there has been nothing made specifically for them. I will repeat my recommendation, and those of other posters, for the Hensley McKesh mirrors. They can be moved from vehicle to vehicle, can be adjusted to extend far, and have minimal vibration when driving. Cheaper copies are available (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-mirror/74639).

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:22 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
Besides a good set of rear view mirrors I've added a rear camera hardwired for $75. I went to Amazon and look at ad on rearview mirrors with camera systems. It records both front and back and I can look at the rearview mirror and see everything directly behind me.
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
I think I'd feel much more comfortable with a rear view mirror. What brand did you purchase ? How is it attached?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #34
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Are you sure you need towing mirrors?

We tow a 2014 27FB that is longer and wider than your trailer. The regular mirrors on our Tundra pickup truck work fine and I cannot think of any driving or parking situations where we felt the need for anything more.

Cheers!
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #35
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonekingfish View Post
I tired the website Autoanything and while they have a variety of nicely molded towing mirrors, none are for Jeeps.
That's too bad.

A second could be etrailer.com

Or, maybe there just aren't any out there for Jeeps (molded).

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:58 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws323tt View Post
Besides a good set of rear view mirrors I've added a rear camera hardwired for $75. I went to Amazon and look at ad on rearview mirrors with camera systems. It records both front and back and I can look at the rearview mirror and see everything directly behind me.
smarture. You can see it on Amazon, I also bought a 50 foot extension cord. It works extremely well.
sws323tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
West Bend , Wisconsin
Oops, I meant I'd feel more comfortable with a camera, not mirror.