Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Do I really need to replace dinged up panels?

I’ve read that if an AS gets dinged up a little or minor dents occur the that panel absolutely has to be replaced to prevent rivit damage? Personally, I could easily live with a ding here or there. Is this is true or is it just another way for the industry to make money?
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
I’ve read that if an AS gets dinged up a little or minor dents occur the that panel absolutely has to be replaced to prevent rivit damage? Personally, I could easily live with a ding here or there. Is this is true or is it just another way for the industry to make money?
Depending on the amount of damage, some dents are repairable in place. Google "dent repair". There are many various ways, if you are handy, to repair the damage yourself. I have used the suction cup approach and it worked well on small damage. Good luck!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I have never heard of a dent causing rivet damage. Panels are replaced because of panel damage.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
The only way that I could imagine rivet damage due to a dent is if the dent crosses a riveted seam. It is worth noting that the distorted seam might leak even if the rivets are still sound.

Small dings and dents (such as from rocks that hit above the stone guards) should do absolutely nothing to the rivets unless they happen to be right on top of one.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I'm curious where you read that. The biggest reason to fix/replace a panel is aesthetics, not leaks.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I'm curious where you read that. The biggest reason to fix/replace a panel is aesthetics, not leaks.
I’ll try to find where I read that and post it. I’ve been spending lots of time researching AS so I think I’ve gone through about a hundred websites and even talk forums. I’m not trying to be negative whatsoever, as my mind is made up about buying an AS. It’s a done deal minus the actual purchase. Basically I’m just trying to prepare myself for basic travel trailer woes that may come my way and for ways to possibly prevent them.

As far as the dings and dents and literature about having to replace panels right away, it was explained that dents will stretch the aluminum and diminish the structural integrity. To me this makes little sense.

I’ve also been reading that, for some reason, initial camping trips will reveal minor problems covered by warranty....usually electrical in nature.

For some crazy reason, non of these negative statements are leading me away from AS.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned the corrosion that will ensure if the clearcoat is compromised by a dent or ding. That (IMO) would be the only reason to replace a panel (before aesthetics).
Rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
If it doesn't leak, and you can live with looking at it, leave the dang dings alone.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have a long scratch and indentation on the passenger side caused by scraping along my mailbox a few years ago. I figure that someday I will need to have the airstream in the shop for other work, so that’s when I may get that repaired.
Marty
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
The only way that I could imagine rivet damage due to a dent is if the dent crosses a riveted seam. It is worth noting that the distorted seam might leak even if the rivets are still sound.

Small dings and dents (such as from rocks that hit above the stone guards) should do absolutely nothing to the rivets unless they happen to be right on top of one.

Tim
I concur with this view.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
All this talk about dings etc. We still don't know the extent of the damage, where on the AS is the damage and what year and model (pictures). This info would be helpful to give the proper advice.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
All this talk about dings etc. We still don't know the extent of the damage, where on the AS is the damage and what year and model (pictures). This info would be helpful to give the proper advice.
Yes we do. There is no damage yet, since he hasn't bought an AS yet. He is just researching at this point.

Edit; Maybe he is thinking of a used AS and wants to know if he should avoid one with even slight damage.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
Dings and scratches

We scratched our Airstream against a rural mailbox.

I asked the Mothership about panel replacements. Their advice was to live with it, but dab clear coat over the damaged areas to avoid corrosion.

Two years later, no sign of corrosion.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Hey guys, just to let y’all know...I haven’t bought an AS yet, but it’s coming. Especially now that their popping up in my dreams every night...that can’t be a healthy thing lol. Anyway, this is what I do before making high value purchases. I’m the guy who skips over the positive reviews and who reads the negative reviews. I know, I’m weird that way.

After months of research here is one major common denominator that I’ve revealed: All travel trailers have problems but Airstream and Oliver are among the best built in the industry.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:36 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Proper, yes.

Point one....their is NO Airstream.

No further points needed.

All the replies have been proper for the question asked.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The “corrosion” worry is also likely overrated.

Aluminum has a natural propensity to “heal” itself. Bare aluminum quickly forms aluminum-oxide in a thin layer which protects the base-metal. Removing the oxide layer sets it up for further oxidation and is therefore counter-productive.

If one were to polish the aluminum it will soon develop a “dull” appearance...and that is the aluminum oxide protective layer. If you don’t like that, you can either keep polishing-off the protective oxide layer (thereby continuing to expose the polished bare aluminum to atmosphere to make more oxide)... or you can clear-coat it to slow down the process.

I have an airplane made of the exact same alloy of 2024-T3 aluminum Airstreams are made of. It’s a bare-aluminum airplane that I do not polish. If fact, it has not been polished for over 20 years...only washed with plain water with a little WD40 mixed into it. It is NOT clear-coated...but bare aluminum. I’ll try to post a picture so you can see all that horrible “corrosion.”

Here my wife and I were photographed taxying out for takeoff from Lompoc CA on a vacation trip from Texas, thru Salt Lake, Tehachapi, SanFrancisco, Las Vegas, Monument Valley, etc, and back home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	188DBD03-8F1B-4A72-994A-11E778805F2B.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	364827  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
���� Great info here and very cool plane! I’ve been told that it’s better to not wax or polish a new Airstream. Oh btw, I was at VAFB back in the 90s so I know Lompoc well!
Old 04-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
���� Great info here and very cool plane! I’ve been told that it’s better to not wax or polish a new Airstream. Oh btw, I was at VAFB back in the 90s so I know Lompoc well!
I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. either.
You don't polish a new one, but waxing with a non-abrasive sealant/glaze, such as Walbernize, is certainly recommended. Don't do the "wax-on, wax-off" like a car, but apply and remove the wax with the grain of the metal.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I don't know where you heard that, but it's not true. either.
You don't polish a new one, but waxing with a non-abrasive sealant/glaze, such as Walbernize, is certainly recommended. Don't do the "wax-on, wax-off" like a car, but apply and remove the wax with the grain of the metal.
And this is why I signed up to this forum. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Lots of myths floating around about AS.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
More information on the type of corrosion that CAN occur on an Airstream if the Alcoa finished panels are compromised, nick's, seams or rivets.

Filiform....even this can be treated.👍
Bob
🇺🇸