Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #21
SipStreamer

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Lakeside , Montana
We've put about 49k miles and two sets of tires on our single axle with no incidents (knock on wood). A few other bennies of single. When replacing tires, you have only half or a third the number to buy. Rotation is much less hassle and the rotation pattern/sequence will always be correct. Then there's fewer brake pads to replace, rotors to turn. bearings to pack, etc.
StreamDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We started out with (and still have) a 19' Bambi. First long trip out, had a blow out at 65 in the Imperial Valley Desert. Yes, damage to the underside and discharge valves, but no loss of control. I'm fixin' to leave on a 3-weeker, and have no concerns. Flats happen. We recently acquired a 23D, dual axle simply for space reasons on longer trips. Yep, we'll have an extra tire to run on in case of a blow out, but the same damage is likely. Frankly, I think there is a design flaw placing the discharge valves behind the tires, but, that's another discussion.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Kansas City , Missouri
Go with 23 flying cloud(double axle) worth it

Go with 23 flying cloud
dfgarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi. I'm new and my wife and I are talking about buying an Airstream in the next year or two.

We're really focusing on finding the best balance between a tow vehicle and a trailer. We'd like to have a tow vehicle that's relatively fuel efficient when not towing, and nice to drive in general. With it's very low dry weight, as well as hitch weight, we've begun focusing on the 22FB Sport. The lower price doesn't hurt either. We feel like it offers quite possibly the most bang for your buck in the Airstream lineup.

But there is one thing that sticks out to me as a concern. A single axle. I've seen a lot of talk about tire blowouts and have even seen them in various youtube videos from Airstream owners. Obviously a tire blowout at highway speeds on a single axle is a nightmarish scenario. I'd feel much safer with a double axle trailer, but then that means a big ol vehicle to tow it, which we'd really like to avoid.

So, how warranted are my fears about the single axle of the 22FB Sport? Would changing out the tires dramatically reduce the possibilities of this ever happening? Hopefully the 2018 Sport models gets better tires off the line this year?

Curious to hear others thoughts on this. We do intend to travel a fair bit in this trailer, so before we embark on a 3,000 mile jaunt we'd like to feel safe with what we're towing.
I prefer the 23' Flying Cloud tandem axle for the added safety and stability.
The Ford F-150 is a great truck for this.
We tow ours with the F-250 or our Mercedes Benz 350 BlueTec diesel. We take the F-250 when we are boondocking for long trip hauling supplies and a generator. For Mountain driving I love my F-250
FYI Ford will be coming out with the F-150 diesel in the near future.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Shillington , Pennsylvania
Our 1968 Safari came with "skid" attached to the axle inboard of the tire so in the event of a flot the trailer settles on the skid holding it level. JBH
jimstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Los Gatos , California
Blow out in 19'

Not that you can always tell, but I've been pretty lucky a few times sensing something was wrong. The two blowouts I've had, one towing our 19' Bambi, and we had a 16' Scamp before that, I felt/heard something funny before hand. A vibration and or noise, so I was tuned in when they blew. Both times I didn't have any issues loosing control, and neither of those times did I have an anti-sway device.

I had a very close call last fall towing my 19' boat and again, felt something funny and a vibration. Turned down the radio so I could really hear it, like the other times, trying to decide if it was something wrong with the car or the trailer or even rough payment in the road, and then pulled over on the side of the freeway. I did like someone else mentioned and did the touch test. Both tires were full and touched one and it was warm, touched the other and it was so hot I thought it would burn my hand, and the tread was uneven, it was delaminating. Talked to the guy at the tire store and he said it had aged out. It was about 8 years old and they are only good for 5 I think.

Back to the Airstream, when that tire blew on our trip up to Canada, I replaced both tires and moved the best one to the spare.

My tow vehicle is either my wife's Toyota 4Runner with a V6, or my Toyota Tacoma with a V6 and 6-speed manual transmission.
RyeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
San Diego and Julian , California
Here is the lesson. Get the size of trailer, and layout, you want. Consider the comfort and livability of the related tow vehicle that fits your situation. Then, keep your speed down. Airstream suggests the highest tow speed of 60 MPH. There is a big difference of outcome when having a blowout at 60 versus 75 MPH. What is the big rush, anyway? Enjoy the scenery, chit chat with your travel companion during tedious sections of highway, let the other drivers pass you by with an attitude of glee.

If you have a blowout at 60 MPH, you are going to be all right. Some minor damage maybe, some time spent changing the tire maybe, but you will be fine. Follow the advice listed above regarding routine maintenance and pressure checks, but get the trailer that first tugged at your heart.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
Get a proper the proper tow hitch and sway control setup.
balance the trailer for proper tongue weight
check the tires on the AS and tow vehicle each time you drive off
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mill Valley , California
Michelin Ribs / no longer worry about tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hi. I'm new and my wife and I are talking about buying an Airstream in the next year or two.

We're really focusing on finding the best balance between a tow vehicle and a trailer. We'd like to have a tow vehicle that's relatively fuel efficient when not towing, and nice to drive in general. With it's very low dry weight, as well as hitch weight, we've begun focusing on the 22FB Sport. The lower price doesn't hurt either. We feel like it offers quite possibly the most bang for your buck in the Airstream lineup.

But there is one thing that sticks out to me as a concern. A single axle. I've seen a lot of talk about tire blowouts and have even seen them in various youtube videos from Airstream owners. Obviously a tire blowout at highway speeds on a single axle is a nightmarish scenario. I'd feel much safer with a double axle trailer, but then that means a big ol vehicle to tow it, which we'd really like to avoid.

So, how warranted are my fears about the single axle of the 22FB Sport? Would changing out the tires dramatically reduce the possibilities of this ever happening? Hopefully the 2018 Sport models gets better tires off the line this year?

Curious to hear others thoughts on this. We do intend to travel a fair bit in this trailer, so before we embark on a 3,000 mile jaunt we'd like to feel safe with what we're towing.
We have now had our 22FB Sport for 4 years and still think it is the ideal trailer for two of us and our dog. I made a few changes to the interior and after a high speed blow out on original factory Chinese tires and watching another set have the tread separate, we went to the Michelin XPS Ribs (225/75x16, load range E), mounted on Sendel T02 wheels and inflated to 72 psi. These are German made commercial duty tires. The safe useful life is measured in tens of thousands of miles.

I still check pressure, but no longer worry about my tires.

Andrew
awiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:03 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Considering a 22FB Sport. Concerns about single axle.

We have a Doran TPMS on the 2 tires of our 2015 22FB. Confirm or inflate the original Goodyear Marathons to 65psi before leaving every day while traveling with a manual gauge. Towed over 20k miles at 65 mph without an incident (knock wood) or fear of the results of one with instant feedback from the TPMS.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
We started out with (and still have) a 19' Bambi. First long trip out, had a blow out at 65 in the Imperial Valley Desert.
First time out ... that's tough!

Good for you for hanging in there, banderabob, and not giving up on towing an Airstream.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Why would Airstream install less than safe and effective tires on the 22FB? I have seen many claims that the GY Marathons should be replaced out of the box. I'm just not seeing why. Either I trust AS engineering and outfitting or I move to another manufacturer. Not being at all argumentative - just trying to see logic here. Thanks for your help.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Considering a 22FB Sport. Concerns about single axle.

Why would Airstream put any better tires than they need to get an Airstream from factor to dealer to customer and through the warranty period?

As with ANY corporation, the bottom line is king, just consider the latest kerfuffle with GM over obvious safety issues, then tell me safety is not just another item in the cost vs profit equation...

What was the car without a $2.00 fuel tank shield that burned passengers to death regularly when rear-ended? The stories go on and on. Reality bites, unfortunately.

For me, I’ll make a careful safety check, and from my point of view, it’s all about the trade off between safety and cost of improvement an what I own. I wear out the factory tires on my vehicles, and happily pay bunches more money for new ones that I think are better than OEM boots. Then I replace them well before end of life. Ya pays your money and takes your choice. I like most of what Airstream offers, but I will take steps to make it better in both safety and convenience items. Won’t mention ProPride, AMSolar, PrecisionTemp, etc updated hardware. I figure it’s part of the cost of the lifestyle.

That’s my motivation, and I’m sticking to it...family and pets being as safe as I can make them, priceless.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:38 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Why would Airstream put any better tires than they need to get an Airstream from factor to dealer to customer and through the warranty period?
Ok. AS's reputation IS the bottom line. Without it, they lose customers, income, and insurance underwriters demand higher rates for unsafe vehicles. I'm not a fan of GY but they are better than the Chicom flavors. I think the TPMS would be a good idea too.

But the argument may be more tire size and user tire manufacturer preferences than just GY poor reputation. And proper inflation and limited highway speeds are probably the most important part of any risk and safety management program we owners can undertake.

I appreciate this thread. I have learned a lot. Thanks for the info.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

Colts NECK , New Jersey
We have a 22fb sport and it tows like a dream, with our Equal-izer set-up. We are about to put it up for sale in order to move up to a longer trailer that will accommodate grandchildren! Pm me if you would like more infomation.
Stardust60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:08 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Addison , Illinois
[QUOTE=Ramble;1906988]Hi. I'm new and my wife and I are talking about buying an Airstream in the next year or two.

We're really focusing on finding the best balance between a tow vehicle and a trailer. We'd like to have a tow vehicle that's relatively fuel efficient when not towing, and nice to drive in general. With it's very low dry weight, as well as hitch weight, we've begun focusing on the 22FB Sport. The lower price doesn't hurt either. We feel like it offers quite possibly the most bang for your buck in the Airstream lineup.]

Ramble, I’m curious as to what you finally decided on and how are you finding it? Like you, I’m interested in a mid suv hauling the A/S 22 FB combination.

Thanks!
Subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I used the internet and searched the bordering states Airstream dealer inventory extensively to purchase our 2015 22FB in November of 2015 from an out of state Airstream dealer. Our local dealer kept selling their 22FB’s before they were even delivered to their lot. They were kind enough to let’s us in one during their dealer prep so at least we had confidence it was the right size for us at the time. We also got a rebate from Airstream for taking dealer inventory late in the year.

It weighed 4020 lbs loaded for a trip with gear including a Honda 2000 generator, pancake air compressor, full fresh water tank and propane. We towed it with a 2013 Honda Ridgeline (V6, 5000 lbs towing) which we had for 3 years prior. We chose the 22FB because it’s weight and size fit within the limits of our Ridgeline. I will state that the Ridgeline struggled to maintain 65 MPH up the steepest hills in MO and AR. We loved the 22FB. It was perfect for the 2 of us for weekend get always and we eventually full timed in it for a year. Making the bed was a nightmare. My mods were LED light bulbs, hinged the bed platform (both standard since 2016), moved the dining table 8” towards the curb side and added an Easy Start to the A/C. I wouldn’t worry about the single axle issue others mention provided you use a TPMS and travel with an air compressor.

Because we had become full time RV’rs, in November of 2017 we traded in our 2015 22FB for a 2018 27FBQ FC. That upgrade forced us to get a larger TV. After extensive research and test drives, we traded in our Ridgeline for a 2018 GMC Sierra w/6.2L, 8 speed, V8 & max tow package. Both of those purchases were out of state and done via the internet.

Having been where you are headed, my only advice is to do your homework when it comes to payload capacity of the midsize vehicle you choose. The tongue weight on the 22 FB is right at 400 lbs. Add another 350 lbs for 2 passengers and the payload balance remaining is for your gear (golf clubs, cooler, grill, chairs, bikes, kayaks, etc.)

I can share with you that for the daily driving we do the 6.2L, 8 speed, V8 Sierra gets similar average MPG as the Ridgeline did. However the Sierra gets better MPG towing has more room, payload, towing capacity and doesn’t struggle up the steepest MO or AR hills.

I hope my ramble helps. Enjoy your search.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 09:47 AM   #38
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Best PSI for Goodyear Endurance 10 ply tires for a 22FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by awiegel View Post
We have now had our 22FB Sport for 4 years and still think it is the ideal trailer for two of us and our dog. I made a few changes to the interior and after a high speed blow out on original factory Chinese tires and watching another set have the tread separate, we went to the Michelin XPS Ribs (225/75x16, load range E), mounted on Sendel T02 wheels and inflated to 72 psi. These are German made commercial duty tires. The safe useful life is measured in tens of thousands of miles.

I still check pressure, but no longer worry about my tires.

Andrew

I sold my 2008 27FB in February. Going to borrow my sister's 22FB sport for a trip. She is upgrading her tires to the Goodyear Endurance E rated tires but staying with the 15 inch tires. I'd love to hear what PSI has worked best from anyone with this AS?
kds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we love our sport 22FB

we placed the OEM 15" tiers with new 16" wheels and Michelin tires
no issues at all
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
I sold my 2008 27FB in February. Going to borrow my sister's 22FB sport for a trip. She is upgrading her tires to the Goodyear Endurance E rated tires but staying with the 15 inch tires. I'd love to hear what PSI has worked best from anyone with this AS?

I use 55 psi. No issues, and I don’t have to deal with many missing interior pop rivets.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote