Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Cumming , Georgia
Clearance question for Bambi 16 - driveway

Hello Airstream community,
My family is thinking of buying a newer model Bambi 16 (2010 - 2014). We really want to park it in our own driveway but, never having owned a trailer before, we aren't sure if the back end will clear a 12 degree upward incline in our driveway. I assume that the Bambi cannot be manually rotated so that if we had to pull it in forward, we wouldn't be able to spin it around, or would we? If it had to go in forward, do you think the back would scrape at that angle? My trigonometry is a little fuzzy. What is your experience with inclines and backing up? The top of our driveway is pretty large and flat but not quite large enough to leave the trailer hitched to our truck and turn around. I'm a total newbie so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! I have a ton to learn.
Cccrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I have yet to scrape it as there is not a huge amount of overhang like long trailers which seem to scrape much easier. Not sure how steep yours is but you might be able to use boards as ramps to ease the grade. We have a gutter at the entrance to our driveway and I bought a board to lay there if needed- ended up not needing it.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Ashland , Kentucky
Another good idea is to approach at an angle if at all possible. We've got a rather deep gutter cut between the road and our driveway for water collection and I've always found it easier on all vehicles to approach on an angle and then straighten out. As an added benefit, you get to practice your backing up skills!
Held together with the Husky Centerline Hitch
LongShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Good news, bad news, and regular news

After a brief learning curve, you will probably find it best to back into the driveway.

Good news: I have to back down a hill, I think it is a little bit easier FOR ME, to back up a hill. I pick up too much speed backing down the hill and have to stop, which throws off my hand/eye coordination.

Bad news: not a good chance that you will be able to turn around in your driveway, unless that part of the drive]way is flat and you can utilize the yard.

Bottoming out? you will have to do a test. ( slow with a spotter )
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Maybe a bit more than you want to bite off, but we lifted the back of our Bambi about 3 inches. It cost us $350 at a local off-road customization company.
Caroline
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:30 PM   #6

2006 19' Safari SE
Los Angeles , California
We have done it with 19 ft bambi, steep drive and flat pad with just enough room for the 19 footer with auto and towbar. Used a power caster to turn the trailer once it was detached. Have a VW Touareg diesel to tow. This also has power to raise and lower the auto to manage the trailer trough the rive to street swail
I have photos but would need an email to send them.
bl7sk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Watsonville , California
I have a Flying Cloud/Bambi 19--have knocked back bumper off x 1 going up 10%grade at short part of driveway to street--if I go at an angle, I'm fine. I pull it with a Tundra--and although I have backed it into driveway, my driveway is on a blind curve with a fair amount of traffic--so it's not my entry of choice. The length of the truck and need to avoid a gulley and a fence make it challenging, to say the least.

I recently bought an electric mule which allows me to tow into driveway and then unhitch truck, move it. I completely rotate the AS and back it into position on side of driveway with the mule. Makes it much more appealing to use--not having to worry about getting back in.

Tried it out recently and discovered I can do it fine--on my own!
msjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #8
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We too park our '16 bambi on our driveway with incline going up and flat at the top. I have scrapped the back bumper (and even bent the stabilizer jacK) driving into parking lots, but did not bottom out on my driveway. I don't know the incline, but can post pictures when I get home. I've thought of getting one of those electric mules mention in a previous post, but they seem to be a European thing and quite expensive.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #9

2006 19' Safari SE
Los Angeles , California
Photos to go with earlier message of Bambi clearance on drive

This is a steep drive with a small pad at top, but large enough to manage the 19 ft bambi. Hope you can view the wmv file
Attached Files
Old 07-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
4RivetWannabe

2007 16' Bambi
2018 26' Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
bl7sk7: Wow, that is one heck of a steep, windy driveway. Do you detach and move with the trailer dolly once you get to the top? It looks electric, where did you get it, I haven't been able to find one like that.
rportillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #11

Cumming , Georgia
Great suggestions! Thank you!

You all are awesome! I feel so much more confident about moving forward with our purchase Thanks for sharing your experiences, I hope to see you out on the road someday. However, I'll probably be somewhere else on this board sooner than that
Cccrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #12

2006 19' Safari SE
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cccrys View Post
You all are awesome! I feel so much more confident about moving forward with our purchase Thanks for sharing your experiences, I hope to see you out on the road someday. However, I'll probably be somewhere else on this board sooner than that
Yes we make sure we are high enough on the drive, actually on the flat pad, put a block behind a trailer wheel and then detach the trailer. We move the tow vehicle out of the way and wheel the "Power Caster" in to place for the trailer to be moved into its storage position, out of the way of the garage entrances. www.powercaster.org is the location for information.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seecue View Post
Maybe a bit more than you want to bite off, but we lifted the back of our Bambi about 3 inches. It cost us $350 at a local off-road customization company.
Caroline
I would sure like to hear and see more about this modification. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
D Greene, you might look at this thread. I keep seeing the Dexter lift kits mentioned here and there...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...rt-135436.html

As for my modification, I'll try to get some photos and post them at the other thread.

Caroline
Seecue is offline   Reply With Quote