Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #21
Launce

2012 16' Sport
Greenbelt , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCQH View Post
I bought a "Jack It" by Lippert, and drove over 5000km with it. Easy to install, and you can take off the "wings" and it would definitely clear the windows. And the price was very reasonable.
You know what? That's pretty much what I was looking for.

The clearances seem to work fine, based on the photo, especially since I'm only carrying the one bike. The negative comments I've read on other sites mostly say that hanging a second bike on the rear side of the rack can be a chore. I already have a LetsGoAero "V" hitch-mount carrier for when I'm not towing, and I like the way it works. I'm a little concerned about front-to-back sway -- the thing stands so tall -- but if BCQH put in 5000km with 2 bikes, I should be fine with 1 bike.

Hmm. I just bought a power jack and I could install them both together ...
Launce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #22
17 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Langley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Launce View Post
You know what? That's pretty much what I was looking for.

The clearances seem to work fine, based on the photo, especially since I'm only carrying the one bike. The negative comments I've read on other sites mostly say that hanging a second bike on the rear side of the rack can be a chore. I already have a LetsGoAero "V" hitch-mount carrier for when I'm not towing, and I like the way it works. I'm a little concerned about front-to-back sway -- the thing stands so tall -- but if BCQH put in 5000km with 2 bikes, I should be fine with 1 bike.

Hmm. I just bought a power jack and I could install them both together ...

Once it is set up, it is no problem to put the bike on the inside. There's two parts you can choose from. One that goes straight and one that goes far back. I choose the one that goes straight since it easily clears my truck. I make a video of us loading a the bike on the rack. I'll try to put it up next week so long as you don't mock me too much ;-)
Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by zscholz View Post
I had the same question for my 2018 sport 22. I contacted Airstream and got the installation instructions for their bumper and replicated that install with some really crafty help from a buddy with a MIG welder to make a bumper with a 2" trailer hitch receiver. Got it back from the powder coater today and installed it. My bike rack mounted perfectly to that. Pics below . Attachment 317510Attachment 317511Attachment 317512
Zscholz,
My opinion biggest frustration with AS. No consideration for bikes. Every add i see has a bike or bikes at campsite or riding. A big miss imo.
Where are you located? Would your buddy like to do a second one?
I currently have a fork mount set up in sport 16.
Table down and all cushions moved to bed. Two trips, no problems but needs further testing. Dry, safe bikes. Fingers crossed.
Version 2.0 will be a second bike in opposite direction.
Sport 16 STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:10 PM   #24

Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport 16 STL View Post
Zscholz,

My opinion biggest frustration with AS. No consideration for bikes. Every add i see has a bike or bikes at campsite or riding. A big miss imo.

Where are you located? Would your buddy like to do a second one?

I currently have a fork mount set up in sport 16.

Table down and all cushions moved to bed. Two trips, no problems but needs further testing. Dry, safe bikes. Fingers crossed.

Version 2.0 will be a second bike in opposite direction.
Hey - so - that bike rack lasted exactly one trip. I (not knowing any better) didn't realize that there are RV specific bike racks - significantly stiffer than the typical trailer hitch mounted style designed for cars to tolerate the longer moment arm from the wheelbase to the hitch. Those bikes shook and wagged so violently, the handle bars contacted the camper and left several dents in the skin. No "real" (other than the cosmetic and bruised ego) damage. I looked into buying an RV specific mount, but ultimately decided to buy a roof mounted rig - which better suited our needs (4 bikes).

We ended up buying the OEM bumper and it fit - as designed - into the already cut holes. The only remnant of the bike rack bumper is the dented skin. Our bespoke bumper ended up in the dump... . I wouldn't recommend that approach - and would go for a roof or bed mounted system.

Sorry to disappoint, but wouldn't want someone else to make the same mistake. Hope that helps!
zscholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by zscholz View Post
Hey - so - that bike rack lasted exactly one trip.
. . .
Sorry to disappoint, but wouldn't want someone else to make the same mistake.
. . .
Thanks for the update. You may have also avoided an unfortunate sway event with that much weight hanging out, way back there IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #26
Launce

2012 16' Sport
Greenbelt , Maryland
Jackit rack

Getting a notification on this thread prompts me to update my experience.

I ended up installing the Jackit rack on my Sport 16. Just took a trip to Alaska with a mountain bike and the rack worked well.

Pros:
  • Easy to mount/unmount the bike: you hang one wheel, then the other, fasten 4 rubber straps. Bike is stable.
  • The height was good for me -- I'm 6'1" but you can stand on the tongue or car bumper for extra height. Much better than a roof rack.
  • Distributes weight nicely, front to back of rig.
  • A little bit of sway, side-to-side and front-to-back, but it didn't scrape anything.
  • It fit over my new power jack (barely).
Cons:
  • LPG access: I can open the top flap on the cover to turn the gas on and off, but I have to remove the bike rack support (need a wrench) to lift the cover to remove a canister for filling. But that's infrequent.
  • Window: Yes, it impedes the view from the panorama windows, and you can't open the center window fully, especially with two bikes. But the "wings" of the bike rack are quick-release, so if you remove the bike(s) and the wings, you're good. ("Good" to have a panoramic view of the a**-end of your truck and a bunch of other RV's, but that's another topic.)
[Edit: To alleviate the cons, I might experiment with slanting the rack support forward, over the hitch ball, rather than backward, over the LPG tanks. I've seen people on other forums who've done that. I guess it would impede the rear hatch door of my tow vehicle, except that the power jack already does that!]
Launce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
the FIAMMi AS rack was designed before the AS SPORT line had a bumper

once the sport had a bumper kit available, AS did NOT update the design with FIAMMi.

the closed bumper spacing is 59.5 "

on the 22fb sport, the bumper is only 53.25" wide

thus you need to trim many pieces by 6"
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Bike rack for 2018 Bambi 16 Sport

Question to ZScholz,

Back in 2018, you posted about a bike rack you created for your Airstream. The picture you included showed exactly the bike rack I envision.

By any chance do you still have any information about the bike rack you fabricated? Design, pictures, plans, anything at all that might help me design one. Even just a picture of the rack taken from ground level underneath the trailer that shows it general size, shape and mounting.

I can weld and fabricate (sometimes my welds are only as pretty as my angle grinder!) But I'm able to build one if I can get some rudimentary plans.

Thanks

Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Bike rack for 2018 Bambi 16 Sport? Any ideas?

Ever been behind an RV with a bike rack and a bike or two traveling down the road? They bounce quite a bit causing stress to the trailer, think twice about this and get advice from Airstream. The bouncing of the bikes extends past the bikes to the frame and beyond.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:10 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Arvika Bike rack

The bumper is not made for a bike rack unless you get the Airstream recommended Flamma one which bolts onto the back of the AS. I got the Arvika for my 20' Bambi. Yes, I have to take the upper part of the bike rack off if I want to open the window but that just involves two knobs and lift it out. And only if I'm staying a while. But the bike is stable and the rack is pretty solid, should be for $500. I am short, 5'4", and can lift my bike onto the rack. And my bike doesn't fall of driving down the road as I have seen happen to Flammas and others.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
The bumper is not made for a bike rack unless you get the Airstream recommended Flamma one which bolts onto the back of the AS. I got the Arvika for my 20' Bambi. Yes, I have to take the upper part of the bike rack off if I want to open the window but that just involves two knobs and lift it out. And only if I'm staying a while. But the bike is stable and the rack is pretty solid, should be for $500. I am short, 5'4", and can lift my bike onto the rack. And my bike doesn't fall of driving down the road as I have seen happen to Flammas and others.

That sounds great, if you can like to see a photo. Thanks
Old 03-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
be sure to get the 3rd party SS bracket that mounts on the AS. The stock FIAMMI bracket is cast and very weak. The SS one is MUCH stronger and welded in place

there are many post on this site of where to source them from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top view-Fiammi replacement bracket.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	362858   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view-Fiammi replacement bracket.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	362859  

Attached Images

Old 03-09-2020, 08:28 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Arvika bike rack with AS specific rack. Be sure to order both pieces, uprights and rack.

Name:   Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.25.25 AM.png
Views: 350
Size:  56.1 KB

Name:   Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.25.34 AM.png
Views: 287
Size:  59.8 KB
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
Arvika bike rack with AS specific rack. Be sure to order both pieces, uprights and rack.
Attachment 362921Attachment 362922

Very nice! I’d much prefer putting weight over tongue area than on the back, hanging bikes on rear of especially smaller Airstreams are a problem. In any case jiggling and bouncing on rear is not good recipe.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Tongue weight is a LOT less dangerous than added rear-weight to an Airstream. If you add weight to the back end of a trailer you greatly increase the chances that you will develop a “tail-wag” that can jack-knife you and your tow-vehicle and ROLL you over!
Lots of accidents have been posted of upside-down Airstreams and Tow Vehicles on Interstates. Passing or being passed by an 18 wheeler with a heavy rear end on your trailer will make you a statistic.
Shorter trailers are MORE susceptible than longer trailers.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we added the FIAMMA to the rear bumper
next up is the SS bracket on the outside wall

the top photo is from the AS utube video. that is NOT the barcket we will use
we are using the SS bracket .you can get a custom SS bracket from these folks

their shop designed one from scratch as some of their customers had the same issue with the OEM bracket

http://www.propridehitch.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	where to install the bracket over the seam.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	364190   Click image for larger version

Name:	as 22Fb bike rack-clean2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	364192  

Attached Images

Old 03-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Bike rack for 2018 Bambi 16 Sport? Any ideas?

Just so people are aware, although this topic is in regard to a 16’ Sport. There is at least one person who injects into this topic Bike Systems for a larger trailer, wouldn’t want anyone following down a rabbit hole that doesn’t apply to 16’ Sports.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Weight applied to a short trailer, especially a single-axle trailer, will have much greater adverse affects than on longer trailers. Beware adding unnecessary weight to the rear of ANY airstream.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
you can see my completed installed FIAMMA rack here in post #75
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...-194806-4.html

we ensure that the AS is balanced front to back and do a regular truck stop weigh in.
as a professional engineer i fully understand torque. Thus we play it safe with proper weight distribution planning

the 16 sport and 22 sport are very similar. thus tropics for the 22 are generally applicable to the 16
Old 04-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
Unfollowing this thread