Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 10:38 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Nice.

Small is beautiful.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
As others have said… There isn't a bad choice here. THey (both models) are wonderful units. We have had our 19' for ten years, but it feels new to us still. About two years ago we made the decision to "modify" our rig and tore out our bed and make a slide-out sofa bed! The AS trailers are all built the same way. The exterior is buit first and EVERYTHING on the inside comes in through the door. That means, of course, it all goes out the door too, making a remodel a cinch. We have remanufactured the dining table modified the bed and added full length mirror, and a couple of minor aesthetics changes as well. We just have so much fun in our camper. You are in for years of some fabulous boondocking and vacations! The wet bath was a factor in choosing the 19 (for us) as was our long-term plan for remodeling to have more of a "living room" feel in our rig when we were spending the day in the rig on bad weather days. Like the additional rooom, but frankly, this is just a factor of personal preference. Post when you get you commit and show a few pics! ENJOY!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by skykingpilot View Post
... About two years ago we made the decision to "modify" our rig and tore out our bed and make a slide-out sofa bed! The AS trailers are all built the same way.
Skykingpilot (is this a reference to the King Air?) - I would love to see some photos of this, it sounds very intriguing!

We have been through more than our share of Airstream trailers in the last few years (25FB, 30BH, and now the 19) for our family of 5+dog. We ended up adding a hanging kids-sized bunk over the rear bed to sleep everyone (photo attached) and it works well for us, but we don't spend more than a few nights at a time all together in it. The deciding factor for us on the 19 was that we wanted something that we could fit in the national parks (20' limits I think), had a separate shower, tank capacity, and a better match for our TV (2014 Chevy Suburban with the tow package - it was quite frightening coming down mountains with the 30' behind that rig!).

We also recently added a lift kit to it to raise the trailer approx 3" higher. We haven't had it out on the road since this change, but we were having a difficult time getting it level while towing (and even then, the hitch was scraping). So far, very happy with the results!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4590.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	258103  
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #44
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
What a great "loft bed"!

We find that most of the national park campgrounds do have sites for longer rigs, but that these tend to fill up first, leaving more choice for the 20' and under crowd.. We just got a late-breaking reservation for Mather CG at the Grand Canyon for Easter weekend (thanks to whoever it was who must have canceled) in a site limited to trailers 19' and under, with a few more spaces available for 16' and under.

There were no spaces left for the longer rigs.

Yay, Bambi.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
San Diego , California
16 foot
Karrylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmith50 View Post
Like you, I travel with my daughter, now 16, and this summer will be our 3rd with the 16 foot. I had a 25 foot first and never took it out because I was too intimidated by the size, the weight, the backing. I feel confident and capable handling the Bambi, and am working hard to learn all necessary maintenance and troubleshooting. I like the layout of the 16 better than the 19 in terms of the cozy back bed location. We show a German Shepherd and always have the smallest rig at the show site, but it has garnered us admiration and friendship. I love it and can't wait for spring to get it out of storage. Being a teacher, I have ample time in the summer to roam, and I do.
I am going to purchase a 16 ft Bambi or a 16 foot basecamp as a retirement present for my wife and me. We also plan to move to Wisconsin to be close to our granddaughters. We will likely need to pay a storeage company when the unit is not in use. I am curious about where you are storing your Bambi and if you would recommend storing it somewhere that offers indoor storage as opposed to opposed to outdoor storage on a gravel lot. Thanks in advance for any advice you have for a newbie.
bikechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #47
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
If you can find indoor storage that's probably best, as RVs are prone to roof leaks that can cause interior damage. In places with tons of snow, it's not good sitting on the roof, notably as it turns to ice during freeze-thaw cycles.

Bambi II is in outdoor storage now for the winter, but we've covered it with a big, well-secured tarp.

For winter storage without an electrical plug-in, you might want to remove the batteries, and then test/recharge them at home occasionally, as needed.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
River Falls , Wisconsin
Storage

I have about an acre of fenced yard with a gravel pad, and our house shelters the Bambi, so mine is outside here in Wisconsin from May through October. A local guy stores it for me indoors in the winter for $300. I absolutely love my Bambi but may have to sell it to afford a small second home closer to my job. I'm getting weary of the 55 mile commute each way, especially in the Midwest Winter.
Where will you be moving in Wisconsin?
smsmith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmith50 View Post
I have about an acre of fenced yard with a gravel pad, and our house shelters the Bambi, so mine is outside here in Wisconsin from May through October. A local guy stores it for me indoors in the winter for $300. I absolutely love my Bambi but may have to sell it to afford a small second home closer to my job. I'm getting weary of the 55 mile commute each way, especially in the Midwest Winter.
Where will you be moving in Wisconsin?
We anticipate moving to the Madison area, perhaps Sun Prairie which is where our older daughter and granddaughters live. I would prefer the southwest but I have come to understand that there is no force on earth greater than the attraction between a grandmother and her grandchildren. Resistance is futile.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I find it difficult to imagine why anyone might need confirmation as to whether or not indoor storage was preferable to outdoor.

Covering your coach with a tarp is not as "preservative" as one might think. It encourages moisture-retention, mold, and corrosion. Stormy weather can whip a tarp loose and then it becomes a whip/battering-ram with grommets and ropes.

Indoor storage, of course, is always the answer. Environmentally controlled indoor storage are the best, but not required. Electrical power and fire-protection are high-grade options. (And don't forget you might qualify for significant insurance reductions.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:52 PM   #51
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We hear you, Boxite!

We wanted to leave our AS in indoor storage closer to family in central Colorado but there was none to be had. We kept looking further west, and settled on Moab, Utah, which does get plenty of wind, but very little snow. We have a friend in town who will check on it for us occasionally. We had a great camping trip in the area just recently, and are looking forward to more in late March, without the hassle of towing it through snow country from BC.

I might put in a plug for the Temple View RV park in St. George, UT. We've left our AS with them a couple of times over part of the winter. This area gets very little snow, so we didn't worry about tarping up or indoor storage.

I imagine a bunch of RV parks and storage places in Arizona would happily cater to snowbirds from the upper Midwest for anyone not wanting the risk of driving through nasty road conditions.

A couple of years ago we drove from BC to Death Valley in February and it worked out just fine, but this wouldn't be our preference.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Dublin , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I find it difficult to imagine why anyone might need confirmation as to whether or not indoor storage was preferable to outdoor.
Thanks Boxite, for me it is not a matter of whether indoor storage is preferable to outdoor as the answer to that question is clear. What I was hoping to learn is if I have trouble finding indoor storage or if I can only find it at a very high cost, how much trouble am I asking for with uncovered outdoor storage in a northern climate.

I have been encouraged by the number of people who have successfully kept their trailers in uncovered outdoor storage in northern climates. The other issue I suppose is if I opt for the Basecamp (which I am seriously considering) the top of the trailer is a different design than a traditional airstream so there is really no one that can report experience keeping this new model uncovered and outdoors.

I guess what I have learned is that if I must keep the trailer uncovered and outside it should not be a deal breaker and something that prevents me from purchasing the trailer. If I do that I will leave it uncovered because I agree with your comments about the problems that tarps introduce.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:25 AM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
River Falls , Wisconsin
You are a wise man, and the Madison area is wonderful.
smsmith50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
If you can find one, there are outdoor covered storage places available. The roof keeps rain off and the cost is much less than enclosed storage. I would never leave a polished aluminum trailer outside, at least not one in good condition.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Suwanee , GA
love my new 16. easy to manuever.
Seagars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Storage

Clearly indoor storage is ALWAYS preferable. Interesting, the harshest environment is actually summer not winter. Winter seems really harsh but the trailers handle it very well. I have kept mine stored indoors in winter until this year. This year she is back at the mothership doing some maintenance. This will be the first winter since it was new that it stayed outdoors.

The UV rays are by far the harshest punishment our campers experience. Summer is so very hard on them, though they handle it well. The concept of "covering" the unit is simply a marginal idea. That's a sure way to scratch your unit for sure. If you have to leave it outdoors, don't cover it! My camper is 11 years old and looks great but for road rash (normal and not bad given the enormous miles we have put on it). I left my camper in Jackson center and know it's outside and I'm not losing one minute of sleep over it. They're made for being outdoors, and used harder than most!

Still think I own the "coolest camper on the market". These campers are simply remarkable. Even better... the great customer service team at Jackson center! They're amazing and also share our passion as AS junkies!

Merry Christmas guys!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:21 PM   #57

1961 16' Bambi
gautier , MS
1961 bambi stovetop

Hello,
Please forgive my ignorance but where
Can I post something for sale from my 61 bambi?
Kenny James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #58
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Classifieds Section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny James View Post
Hello,
Please forgive my ignorance but where
Can I post something for sale from my 61 bambi?
https://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote