Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Bad Design Within Reach, and Painfully!

I was near an Airstream dealer and wanted to check out the new models... unfortunately the Sport series wasn't available yet.. but I checked out the DWR Bambi.

The color combinations are nice, although not that special, the red awning is nice. The clock is out of proportion and the coat-hooks are way to big... but way to big!

Another detail I found astonishingly badly designed were the rails for the new curtains. They are double and stick out about 3 inch from the window.
Perfect for hitting your head and arms when in bed! and they are also thin, and will bend easily.

The plastic panels for the storage bins are replaced with perforated metal. Very thin and if you hit them with a hard object, or lean against them, they will be ruined.

The DWR Bambi gave me the impression of a design for design sake version, not very well though out.

Here some pics.
Attached Images

sos10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
Hmmm. Doesn't look like it was designed by someone who has lived in one for any length of time...pretty but not practical.
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Sure seems to be the way things are going... looks pretty but not functional in the long run. Guess they could probably take some of the marketing budget and give it to the R&D or production folks...

"All hat & no cattle" as they say around here...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hey, you could take the curtains off and run a little train around on those tracks!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #5
The Aluminum Falcon

1973 31' Sovereign
Thousand Oaks , California
There's always some sucker out there

I also agree that the DWR looked nice but seemed to lack functionality. Like a cheap make-over except not cheap. For the $$ they want for that unit a person could take an existing AS and remodel it way better than that! Hmmm, I think I'll try doing just that with my Sovereign.

The Aluminum Falcon

(but you can call me Al)
Al Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , California
DWR - why pay extra to advertise for the company?

Not only is the interior design of the DWR bambi annoying, you get to pay more for it too. The msrp on some of them is around 55g. I can't stand the idea of driving around with "DWR" firmly emblazoned on the side of my trailer. Why should I advertise for them for free? They should be paying me to tow their logo around!

There's a Design Within Reach store right down the street from us. I've never been in because I've always found the look of the furnishings very pretentious. And have you seen the copy in the brochures? They go on about "European design". One of the things I like about Airstreams is that they are the epitome of good American design.

Heather
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Airstream needs to hire some designers that have good taste and practical design experience.

Hey, how about an AirForums branded Safari? It could be designed by a panel of Airforumers, and have Airforums.com emblazoned on the side!

I'm not sure thay could afford to licence the Airforums name though. Might be VERY expensive.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Interesting post - whacking the bedroom window blinds at night is the only real annoyance in our SE interior design. And they hug the wall.

So, are these new Airstream designs selling? I'm a big fan of anything the Airstream designers come up that grows their revenue, and the size & demographics of their customer base!

It seems to me that the CCD and SE models brought Airstream a fairly large new segment of buyers they'd not otherwise had. The designers seem intent on keeping the classic Airstream shell that we all love - and create new exciting interiors that keep new buyers coming and, exisitng owners upgrading.

Not too many companies have managed to stay in buiness this long with a such a classic design so I hope the Airstream designers and engineers can keep the dream growing. I know nothing about DesignWithinReach, but the stuff on their website looks great and they seem to be doing well. But regardless, as with the things you point out above....... at this price, good design must also be quality design.

...Scott
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca
Not only is the interior design of the DWR bambi annoying, you get to pay more for it too....
Unfortunately, rather than asking DWR to have someone design an new Airstream interior (like they did with Christopher C. Deam for the CCDs) they basically asked 'What stuff do you have lying around that we can throw into this trailer?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca
There's a Design Within Reach store right down the street from us....They go on about "European design". One of the things I like about Airstreams is that they are the epitome of good American design.
In fairness to DWR, you need to separate what they are 'selling' from what they are selling. They 'sell' "european design" because that is what the rubes want to buy. What they actually sell is the iconic work of American designers like Charles Eames, Bill Stumpf, and George Nelson (designer of the ball clock in the DWR airstream).
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Had to look "rubes" up on thefreedictionary.com

ouch

oh well, our kids have been looking for just the right word to describe their parents' unusual attraction to a trailer lifestyle

---------------------------------------

(rb)n. Slang An unsophisticated country person.

[Probably from Rube, nickname for Reuben.]
hm();Sources=Sources | 2;The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun1.rube - a person who is not very intelligent or interested in culturebumpkin, chawbacon, hayseed, hick, yahoo, yokel
rustic - an unsophisticated country person
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
If you're around carnys and want some attention, try yelling "Hey Rube!"

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamCamper
Hmmm. Doesn't look like it was designed by someone who has lived in one for any length of time...pretty but not practical.
NOT PRETTY;NOT PRACTICAL
Old 09-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
I was on a dealers lot in NC Friday morning. The DWR trailer was nice looking on the outside and inside. I found the retail price astronomical. The Atomic Ball clock was a nice touch. I had one back in the 70's.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
The Atomic Ball clock was a nice touch. I had one back in the 70's.
I WANT MY LAVA LAMP

Tags
2007 bambi