Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I would go Lance all the way!

\
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:57 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I never heard of lance trailers , but I will educate myself! Then form my own opinion.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:46 AM   #23
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
The Lance camper was one coach we considered instead of an Airstream. In fact, when we were shopping late summer 2014, we were comparing an Airstream 25FB floorplan (tried to buy a 2008 consignment unit at the time) to the 1985, 2285, and 2295 Lance floorplans.

Why we considered the Lance - it seemed better built than most campers, it was well insulated, they used high-tec materials like azdel and lite-ply, had ducted air, power awning, dual-pane windows, an outdoor kitchen, etc. And of course, Lance's reputation with pickup campers is very good. What turned the tide was spending hours "living" in the units on a slow day at both dealers. The Lance has short queen beds, poor TV positions, weird bath door layouts, it felt cramped and dark inside, limited storage inside and out, and oh yeah, they leak and delaminate and yellow outside just like every other glue-lam walled camper. (look for used units online and really look at the pictures)

Of course, the deal on the 2008 25fb didn't work for us and we went in a new 27FB. That was it! We could live without the slide, dual pane windows, outdoor kitchen, and power awning. In fact when we spent an hour with the regional Airstream rep who was at the dealership that day discussing how Airstreams were built and the materials used and why 50+ year old coaches are still on the road, we were sold. Yes the Airstream is more money, but it is hand built, so light and open inside, has proper engineered storage inside and out, no partical board, no glue lam walls, no corners on the rubber roof that hold water and leak, and oh the sound of that bank-vault door.....

We've owned our Pete for 15 months now, and our only regret is that we had'nt bought an Airstream 10 years and 2 coaches ago. Yes, we've had to tweak some things, and yes, we've had things fail and be fixed or replaced under warranty. But, I can't imagine going back to a glue lam camper. I just know now why the Airstream is so far superior in construction, utilization of space, towing performance, livability, and durability.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would buy the Airstream. If you can easily afford it I think the $15000 would be well spent. Particulary since you will be towing at the limits of the 4 runner. The Airstream will handle and tow a lot better. You can use the Airstream for 30 years or so. I would look at the Reese straight line , the Blue Ox, and the Propride hitches. Airstreams tow well and have good liviability. The have a lot of windows and are light an airy inside. They hold up well. You might look hard for a fairly new used tdrailer in that size because people sometimes find them too small and upsize fairly soon after purchase.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Airstream or Lance?

Hello fellow Streamers. I have an 88 25" Excella and an 08 model 1055 Lance Truck camper and I wouldn't part with either.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Hi Eeltinge. Thanks for posting. I owned a 4-season Lance 1985 before trading it for my current 2011 FC 25FB twins Airstream. Before that, I had a Lance 1575.

Lance makes a very good trailer and I had some great, trouble free times in my 1985. I found that, as I got more exposure to Airstreams, I valued the many windows and overall aesthetic of the AS more than the Lance, which has fewer windows and a more traditional box design.

Two quick points of comparison, which will come as no surprise - the AS is buffeted far less on the road by wind and other factors, and the Lance's AC did a much better job of keeping up with the Florida heat.

When a small mechanical problem developed with my Lance slide, I used that as a springboard to trade for the AS, rather go through the hassle of a repair. I've never looked back.

Below are the two units side by side - for me, this tells the aesthetic story better than my words, but that may not be as important to you as some other more practical factors, one of which is cost.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss further. Joe
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1421593960.045933.jpg
Views:	1181
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	230608

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
I was just wondering why you'd ask about whether you'd buy an Airstream or something else on an Airstream forum... It's pretty obvious what the answer is going to be on here. The Airstream has its issues, isn't the best use of space, leaks, etc. etc. yet, we love them. I've seen so many troll questions on here, like what hitch should I use (which was the next question asked), is my truck too small, what tires should I run... I'll just back on out now. Sorry if I offended. My advice, buy the SOB until you know you want an Airstream. If you don't want one, any camper will do...

-Red, leaving it alone now...
Ahhh, yes, what he said.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
What's with the snarky comments? Since when did we start walking above water?

There's some genuine poor form being exhibited by a few people in this thread. The Coastie is asking a legitimate question. At the very least, we could have the decency to tell him why we like our Airstreams. We could also relate our experiences with other brands. Failing that, silence is appropriate.

Eeltinge, I like mine for the ease of pulling, the style and the quality. There are some really old Airstream's that are still in top condition. It isn't perfect, but I like it. It's not a 4 season rig either. Aluminum is great conductor of heat/cold. There is also a great sense of family, although you've seen the elitist side, too.

I'm an old Jarhead (and a boater), and I greatly appreciate your service to our country and my other love, the boating community.
Very well said. Thank you for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberous View Post
As a former Lance owner I can tell you that I never had anyone come up to me in a campground and ask to see inside my Lance...
I also never had people walk up to me at the gas station as I was fueling my truck, put their hands on my Lance and tell me "I always wanted one of these"...

So if you want peace & solitude while camping, get the Lance...
If you want to be the guy everyone wants to be and the host of the party, well treat yourself and get the Airstream.
Honestly, I think this should the last reason you'd pick an Airstream over Lance. You should buy what makes you happy, and nothing else matters. All the people in Airforums/LanceForums could agree/disagree with you, and it does not matter. I would pick an Airstream as I like the styling. I know a lot of folks who by SOBs for more interior room, more exterior/interior storage, more ground clearance, and much lower price. It all depends on your requirements.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Coto de Caza , California
Safe towing near maximum weight limit

When I was in my 20's, I lived for 3 years in a Winnebago Minnie Winnie. My one remaining memory is the very small fresh and grey water. I was in no way self-contained.
In my spare time I fly fish, bird hunt, and sea kayak. I hire guides and their equipment to do all three. I will get dirty and do need to shower. Clothes, food, and my bulldog will constitute most of the weight.
My Coast Guard duties take me from the lighthouses in Puget Sound to the gun ranges at the Mexican border. I very rarely go to the mountains. Our scientific lab equipment is digital and weighs virtually nothing. I will camp most of the time at military RV bases with full hook-ups.
A fully optioned out 1985 weighs about 4,200lbs. 30 gallons of fluids at 8lbs. per gallon is 240lbs for a total of 4,440lbs. With food, clothes, fly rods, 43lb. 2,000 watt Honda generator, I am pushing it. I wonder how much the a weight distributing hitch and sway control will add? I don't mind driving 50-55mph, but a must be able to brake under control
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I was in the Coast Guard. Back when most of the light houses were still manned. We serviced and automated many of them from St. George Reef to San Luis Obispo.
Mile Rock at the mouth of San Francisco Bay was one of the most challenging. Requiring hard hat divers.
Sorry to get off topic folks.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
A better question might be ....how many of you took the depreciation hit when you purchased a different brand than AS ... and then finally got what you really wanted with an AS ???
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Coto de Caza , California
Thank you everyone for your comments regarding the 22-foot Airstream Sport versus the 23-foot Lance 1985. I have received approximately 20 replies from Good Sam RV Net, 30 replies from Air Forum, and 60 replies from Lance Owners. Wow! The consensus seems to be the Airstream will tow better and last longer, and the Lance will camp better and is a much better value. I am going to rent 2 more trailers next month at the 3,800lb. dry weight for better evaluation of the capabilities of my 2014 Toyota 4Runner. I will camp at a Coast Guard Channel Islands station inspection and at The Good Sam Rally in Phoenix, AZ. At this point, I am strongly leaning toward the Lance and will start soliciting prices from dealers. Thank you all again for your most helpful input!
eeltinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #33
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
My apologies if I came across as snarky or elitist. I honestly thought the brother was trolling. Obviously I was wrong. Hope you get it figured out which one you want. I'll leave it to the guys who have experience with those models...

-Red, feeling sheepish and eating crow...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:34 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Airstream or Lance?

While you're at it, you may want to take a peek at another lightweight aluminum trailer: http://www.livinlite.com/camplite21rbs-overview.php

Happy camping!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
OP, try a phone or email consult with Andrew Thomson at Can Am Rv for perspective on your tow vehicle. They've done over 10k setups over the past forty years. Andy considers these inquiries a hobby. His posts are guide.

Your need for ground clearance may point things one way, but your desire to not buy another (conjectured) may point you another. You'll find accurate perspective, more so than we armchair experts.

I can say that the TT is far more important than the TV. Far more. The cart does come before the horse.

Have a son in USMC. Hope to get some things fixed so he and I can do some fishing once he's home after years overseas. Need to show him his old man has kept himself on the straight and narrow. So whatever you choose I can see you ready have a place here or elsewhere to do the shakedown.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Georgia
Panama Red,

You and the original poster got class.
Unfortunately, some others clearly demonstrated they have none.

eeltinge,

Thank you for your service. Best of luck in finding the trailer that meets your needs.
D Air Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I considered Lance and the main reason I discounted them is because the roof is flat and not crowned so I would worry about water pooling. Once you get a roof leak the luan under the roof starts to rot. None of their floor plans has ducted air and if you are going to go SOB get ducted air. No ducted air in the smaller Airstream so maybe a wash. It might be easier to sell an Airstream if you decide to move up or get out of Rving.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

My 4 Runner has pulled a 19 foot Bambi over 20,000 miles though out the west without any problems....mileage about 15 mpg. I have an. Easy-lift hitch which works great.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
RFR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 AM   #39
'15 Flying Loud 20' Bambi

2014 16' Sport
2015 20' Flying Cloud
2021 25' Globetrotter
small city outside a big one , south of most, north of some
I have been really impressed by the Lances I have seen in dealerships and they have a sterling reputation as truck campers. I think somebody mentioned looking at older used units to get an example of how they hold up. That is the best advice I have heard in a long time and pertains to any camper really.

As far as the tow vehicle my only caution is the fuel tank size. Yours sounds great! 30 gallons? Out in the boonies that can be a real pain in the butt if you have to stop every time you see a station because the fuel tank is so small. That killed my FJ as a tow vehicle. It pulled our 16 with no problem but the tank was ridiculous. I thought about an extension tank, but with it wanting premium as well and the tranny not being geared well for towing we just bought a truck instead. We kept the FJ though and really love it. If we are going somewhere we want a 4WD to add to the fun we still use it with the camper. But for long trips our truck just is easier (and gets a lot better mileage as well!).

You asked about a distributing hitch, I use a Fastway E2 roundbar 600#. It was pretty inexpensive, very easy to set up and works fantastic. I think there are a lot out there that are really good. I would also suggest Rock Tamers flaps that fit over the hitch. It will keep your trailer a lot nicer looking...

renderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
That lance is not a 23 foot camper, its an 18' one. Its about 23' overall. The 22' sport is about 22' without counting the front frame so that will be about 3 feet longer give or take. So you are really comparing apples and oranges here.

Looking at the Lance, it looks like a typical SOB with a slide. It uses an aluminum frame and a "TPO" roof. Not sure how that differs from the older style edpm? rubber roofs, but I would ask what the expected life and what has to be done to keep intact.

Long term, the Airstream will outlast the lance, but that may be beyond the time you own either.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote