Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Adding a thermostat to a Dometic Air Conditioner

In my 2018 16RB is a non-ducted Dometic Air Conditioner (Model 3314851) "jet engine". Works ok, but damn it's load. I want to hook it up to a digital thermostat because the lousy little turn-it-a-little-colder, turn-it-a-little-warmer knob on the AC is a piece of crap. I want to use a thermostat so I can set a temperature and leave it alone.

Here's my plan ...
Thermostat - Honeywell TH1110DV1009 Pro 1000 .
Battery powered. Has heat mode and cool mode. It has an interesting feature where it won't turn on the AC until the AC has been off for at least 5 minutes - this is to protect the compressor. The thermostat's heat mode will run the furnace, replacing the shitty Dometic craphole thermostat.

Relay - 12VDC coil, 277VAC 30amp contacts, normally open.

Wire the coil side of the relay to the thermostat (Rc & Y connections). Wire the contacts to the black 120vac wire that provides shore power to the AC.

When the thermostat in cool mode turns on, it closes the circuit providing 12vdc to the relay closing the contacts, which completes the circuit providing 120vac power to the AC. When the thermostat reaches the set temp, the 12vdc circuit to the relay is opened, opening the contacts and cutting power to the AC.

I have no doubt that this will turn on/off the AC based on the thermostat setting. What I don't know is if it will damage the AC by abruptly turning the power on, then when the set temp is reached, abruptly turning the power off.

Any insight from a smart RV HVAC person would be appreciated.

The way I'm thinking - when you walk up to your AC and turn it on, you're abruptly providing power to the AC and it immediately starts. When you turn it off, you're abruptly turning the power off as there is no after-run/cool down/etc. When you turn it off, it stops immediately. So, I'm going to do all that with a thermostat.

Thanks
Runamuk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Adding a thermostat to a Dometic Air Conditioner

Sounds like a great idea! Following...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sounds OK to me . . . but, unlike Rich, just a layman here on electric . . .

BTW does your A/C unit have different fan settings like Low/Med/High etc.?

With your new stat, and a Low fan speed, you might be able to minimize the on/off cycling, which makes our jet engines even more annoying IMO. I fired ours up yesterday for a test run in the back yard, and was startled into recalling just how loud it is.

Bonkers . . .

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
BTW does your A/C unit have different fan settings like Low/Med/High etc.?

Yes, OTRA15, my AC has the Low/Med/High settings. My thought is to leave it in the Low setting with the Temp knob turned to max cold and let the thermostat turn the AC on/off as needed. Unless it's a blistering hot day, then move to the Medium or High Setting.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
That should do it!

. . . [max cool ]
Old 06-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
in our 22fb,. we simply replaced the cheap std thermostat with a digital display model from a big box store. under $40

it ONLY controls the furnace as the AC in the sport has its own separate controls.
thus no means to control from a central location (;
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk13 View Post
Yes, OTRA15, my AC has the Low/Med/High settings. My thought is to leave it in the Low setting with the Temp knob turned to max cold and let the thermostat turn the AC on/off as needed. Unless it's a blistering hot day, then move to the Medium or High Setting.
Abruptly turning the unit on and off shouldn't really do anything to it. I have learned the hard way, the air conditioner can ice over in hot/humid weather when the fan is set to "low" I would suggest "medium" instead.
A 2018 Sport has the air conditioner controls on the ceiling assembly only, with no wiring or provision for a remote thermostat. You may be biting off more than you can chew by attempting this. Think "total air conditioner replacement" in order to properly accomplish this.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussle , Oklahoma
I don't claim to be a smart RV AC person but I will comment anyway. The model number you give in your post is actually the designation for the air distribution panel on your AC. I have a Dometic Brisk Air 2 and it has the connection for a thermostat built in. All you have to do is hook up the 3 thermostat wires (12V, 12V-, and comm). If you remove the air filter and look inside the AC you will see the thermostat connections. Also you can download installation and wiring diagrams on the Dometic site. But yeah, what you described will work.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
Adding wall thermostat to roof unit

I have done this with an RVP Mach 15, but the procedure should be similar, especially due to the age of your unit: get a wall thermostat, a length of 7 wire thermostat wire long enough to reach the roof unit from where you choose to locate it. Also, Locate and have ready a constant 12v + feed source (trailer battery) and 12v ground to frame available. The manufacturer usually offers a relay pack that will fit inside your air unit once you remove the ceiling panel that contains the filters and air ducts. After disconnecting from shore power, install the relay panel and hook up the 110v supply and ground, the 12v supply and ground, and color coded wires going to the thermostat. Follow the wiring diagram and connect the wiring to the thermostat and mount it in your desired central location.

You will probably be able to remove the knob controls and switches from the ceiling panel and block off the holes, or get a new ceiling panel w/o the holes for the knobs.

If done correctly, you should be able to control the unit from the wall thermostat, providing the one you purchased is compatible.
voxmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I was going to do that on my Coleman AC. Then I found the thermostat control unit for it $55 on Amazon 2 years ago and put that in. It does the same thing, with the ability to choose fan constant or only with compressor.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Yes it will work, but mikextr has the best idea, try that first. I might do my own AC now!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I hear if you insulate the bottom of the ceiling cover it blocks lots of sound.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikextr View Post
The model number you give in your post is actually the designation for the air distribution panel on your AC.
Oops. Sorry. You're right Mikextr, that model number is for the air distribution panel.

I removed the air distribution panel looking for a real model number and can't find one. I assume it is up above, under the cowling. I believe the AC unit is from the Dometic Penguin II line.

I think Overlander63 said it best in Post #7, "2018 Sport has the air conditioner controls on the ceiling assembly only, with no wiring or provision for a remote thermostat." As far as I can tell, that is correct.

The Dometic website kind of says a kit is available to add a thermostat. But reviews of the kit give it a very poor rating!
Old 07-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Walker , Louisiana
Hi rumamuk13. I have the 2018 22FB and want to do the same thing. I believe we probably have the same Dometic unit. I believe the Dometic control thermo kit for these may just be the “Dometic CT Single Zone Thermostat Control Kit For Cool/Furnace/Heat Strip Modes - 3316232.700”. Tried asking Dometic support if this kit would work for our unit (since I’ve had 0 luck finding a wiring diagram anywhere on the internet). This was their response, “ This depends on the wiring already pre-installed or what you are able to install. Our single zone thermostats work off of 3 wires: 12VDC+, - and communication wire.“. I know it takes more than this because the control board appears to have to be replaced by the board in this kit. Regardless, I just keep coming up with dead ends on 1) is this the proper kit and 2) where’s the installation instructions and wiring diagram for it! Let you know if I get anywhere.
aikenjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Tacoma , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenjt View Post
Hi rumamuk13. I have the 2018 22FB and want to do the same thing. I believe we probably have the same Dometic unit. I believe the Dometic control thermo kit for these may just be the “Dometic CT Single Zone Thermostat Control Kit For Cool/Furnace/Heat Strip Modes - 3316232.700”. Tried asking Dometic support if this kit would work for our unit (since I’ve had 0 luck finding a wiring diagram anywhere on the internet). This was their response, “ This depends on the wiring already pre-installed or what you are able to install. Our single zone thermostats work off of 3 wires: 12VDC+, - and communication wire.“. I know it takes more than this because the control board appears to have to be replaced by the board in this kit. Regardless, I just keep coming up with dead ends on 1) is this the proper kit and 2) where’s the installation instructions and wiring diagram for it! Let you know if I get anywhere.
Hello Aikenjt,
I, too, looked into the Dometic Kit 3316232.700 and it appears to be a great option. But, like you, I have questions and can't get answers. I'd like to see some installation guide. One website said these kits do not come with an instruction manual and must be installed by an RV HVAC professional. But I'm surprised that someone, somewhere hasn't posted a video/thread/post/blog/etc about their experience installing the kit. Also, the Kit seems to be out of stock in the places I looked.

Anyway, since nobody told to not install the thermostat and relay mentioned in the opening post, nor called me bad names, I ordered the parts and will be installing them soon. I'll post the results of my adventure.

Stay tuned.
Runamuk13

PS - - if anyone has installed the Dometic Kit, please speak up.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:11 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
A couple more things to consider: unit information location, and planning ahead for possible generator usage.

The information for your units (model/serial #) as well as installation manuals for the original unit should be in the original owners information packet for the roof mounted air unit. Looking up the stats for that from the manufacturer gives you a lot of information. Plus, manuals, including usage and installation, as well as wiring diagrams can usually be found online available for download.

Also, if you do end up hiring the work done, think ahead to whether you will be using a generator while boondocking. if so, it may be beneficial to install an easy start system that lowers the voltage requirement at startup to a level manageable by a portable generator (properly sized for your unit). The latest Youtube video by LoloHo addresses this for Airstream users. Check it out.
voxmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Controlling AC and heat with a digital thermostat

I did this 16 years ago. The wall stat now controls both the AC and the furnace. I regard it as the best mod I've done in my 20 years of owning and maintaining our 87 Excella 25.
Details at:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f42...ace-14953.html
Nick.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great update, Nick, and thanks for the detailed OP in your linked thread. We had a 1985 Sovereign 25' so it is easy to picture your Excella.

Happy trails,
Old 07-17-2020, 06:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 22' Bambi
2022 25' Globetrotter
St-Laurent , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuk13 View Post
Hello Aikenjt,
I, too, looked into the Dometic Kit 3316232.700 and it appears to be a great option. But, like you, I have questions and can't get answers. I'd like to see some installation guide. One website said these kits do not come with an instruction manual and must be installed by an RV HVAC professional. But I'm surprised that someone, somewhere hasn't posted a video/thread/post/blog/etc about their experience installing the kit. Also, the Kit seems to be out of stock in the places I looked.

Anyway, since nobody told to not install the thermostat and relay mentioned in the opening post, nor called me bad names, I ordered the parts and will be installing them soon. I'll post the results of my adventure.

Stay tuned.
Runamuk13

PS - - if anyone has installed the Dometic Kit, please speak up.
I too have been exploring options to remote control the Penguin II with a digital thermostat in my 2020 Bambi 22FB, mostly to not have it running non stop at night time (I wish I had sprung for the Caravel and its ducted AC!).

Your relay option is highly appealing and not that complex. May try that if all else fails!

On the Dometic kit, if it were compatible, how would conceal the wire running from the ceiling unit to the thermostat? As stated above, I don’t believe the Sport or Bambi have been pre-wired for that and fishing would a nightmare/impossible. The thermostat itself in that kit has Bluetooth. Be great if that’s how it communicated with the ceiling unit.

The other option I’m investigating is replacing the AC unit altogether with Dometic’s new Freshjet 3000. It’s got a digital thermostat on the unit and a remote control. Supposed to be super quiet. Don’t know what’s involved in swapping though.
steilkurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
I'm n the process of doing the same thing ( remote wall mounted Thermostat to control AC & Furnace on my 2007 Safari. It came with a single Dometic DuoTherm model 600315 AC but I have changed out the power to 50 Amps and added a second AC. It get damn hot here on the Texas Coast.

My Safari came pre wired but .................................................. ........ for the live of me , I can not find the "Thermostat" ends of the wiring. I used the conversion kit from Dometic which goes in quickly and easily although the control board is a bit bigger than the old mechanical controls. There is plenty of room in the ADB once you pull down the inside portion and place the new control box ( board & relays) up into the unit.

I have attached two pictures below of the "pre-wire". The first shows the Road side adjacent to the Refrigerator and where the Thermostat wires terminate at the AC end (they are adjacent to AC condensate drain). The Furnace wires (blue) presumably go down to my Atwood Furnace although I have not looked for them there yet. The Thermostat wires is really the flat, 4 conductor "telephone type" wiring that I believe was used with the Dometic CCC. (Which was never installed on my unit). I just cannot find the other end. Does anybody know where the Mothership mounted the CCC in the 2007 Safari's???? I though it would be on the aft bulkhead of the Front Bedroom but can't find it there.

The other picture shows the curb side of the AC opening where my 120V power comes in ( the yellow Romex on the left) and two (2) fairly heavy conductors ( one Blue and one White.) I have no idea what these were "pre-wired" to connect to.

Any help on finding the "ends" of this pre-wiring would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thermostat pre-wire.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	373356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue White Wires.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	373357  

SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote