Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2019, 08:54 PM   #21
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
When I read "investment", it was deja vu all over again. My ex would use that word anytime she spent money that she knew I would not approve of or that we had not discussed beforehand. The ROI was not what I had hoped it would be.

The best thing going into a large purchase like this is to do so with eyes wide open. I would think it might be best to buy used first to see if the lifestyle fits you two.

The last thing I would have thought to ask about was how well they hold up on washboard roads.

But, this is a very good question and got some very good advice.

Best wishes and many miles and smiles,
Clint
Old 02-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Sorry everyone my choice of words was a little misleading. I was thinking of "about to make the investment" as in I am about to begin on the journey of owning an airstream which is an investment of money, time, sweat, tears, work, etc. to receive the payoff of memories, fun, adventure, etc.

I understand that this purchase is not going to be giving me any sort of financial return.
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #23
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by James3344 View Post
Sorry everyone my choice of words was a little misleading. I was thinking of "about to make the investment" as in I am about to begin on the journey of owning an airstream which is an investment of money, time, sweat, tears, work, etc. to receive the payoff of memories, fun, adventure, etc.

I understand that this purchase is not going to be giving me any sort of financial return.

James, Aren't we humans odd the way we see a word and take off running with it. Here's hoping your ROI is far more than you can even imagine and that the new Airstream brings much joy. When I see my little 23FB I can't help but smile. Make your's a way to bring relationships closer and make lots of memories along the way.
Clint
Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
About to make the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
James, Aren't we humans odd the way we see a word and take off running with it. Here's hoping your ROI is far more than you can even imagine and that the new Airstream brings much joy. When I see my little 23FB I can't help but smile. Make your's a way to bring relationships closer and make lots of memories along the way.
Clint

Very well said Wolfwhistle. It is kind of like buying a car. Buying new is expensive. Most folks buy new because they can and it is easier than buying used. Buying used definitely saves some money but it is harder to find and get what you want. Whatever works for you.

Looking at our 66 Tradewind always brings a smile to my face. That is a good feeling.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Nothing to apologize for!

“Investment” - the action or process of investing money for profit or material result (according to an online dictionary).

“Profit OR material result” suggests to me there are non-“material” (as in “financial”, not “significant”) profits to be gained by some expenditures.

Meaning - in our case (DW & I) - we weren’t expecting to make a financial profit on the purchase of a new AS in 2012 - but we were absolutely expecting to profit significantly in ways that have nothing to do with money. Our returns have vastly exceeded our high expectations going in to it in the first place. You couldn’t offer me 3X what I paid for it - even though that could fund a whole new rig - the memories contained in our Tin Goat are priceless. Just thinking about it cranks up endorphins. Seeing it - that much more - and being on the road and camping with it? Literally more valuable to me than gold.

Oh - and I’m not an idiot - if I was offered $10,000,000 for it, I’d make memories in another unit - but you get the gist [emoji3]

Enjoy your investment. I hope you get the same kind of ROI we enjoy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I bought my first Airstream in 2005 and hated [emoji16][emoji1787] it so much that I am now on my third and probably last one.

One thing about an Airstream I truly still love is pulling into a new place, setting up and propping the door open, while getting ready to drink some iced tea or cider. Usually takes 15 minutes or less before someone walks up with a wistful expression and I offer them a quick look at the inside... and I am no longer a stranger in a strange place. The Airstream is the best Welcome mat. Priceless. Only downside? Always have to dust and sweep before going outside.

First day of towing first Airstream on first trip...
a man follows me west on I-64 and I pull into the Williamsburg rest stop to find a state trooper. The other car followed and the very nice man and his wife approached. "My dad had an Airstream and I've wanted one for years, yours is just beautiful, would you consider selling it, what year is it? By the time he left he learned that (A) they're still making them, (B) mine looked brand new because it was and (C) they lived within 50 miles of Lakeland, NJ home of Colonial Airstream.

That said... were I a boondocker getting ready to buy my first trailer, I would get a Casita, Oliver or Scamp, but NOT a Nest by Airstream (early production bugs). The fiberglass "eggs" are much more affordable and body damage is easy and inexpensive to fix, plus go look at used ones! They depreciate about $500 a year and often sell within hours of showing up on craigslist. No dealer networks or middleman markups - see the websites to get a tour from a safisfied owner near you, drive to the factory to pick up the one you order! Bad side to that? Ask what the wait time is... six months in some cases.

More than a few members here own a fiberglass egg and an Airstream or two. The egg is for down and dirty camping, the Airstream is for glamping.

Good luck and happy trails and welcome to the world of Airstreams. You have Alumanitis. Resistance is futile - but full onset can be delayed and you'll buy more intelligently if it isn't your first RV.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #27
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Investment?...
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:23 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Ok thank you for the information. Doesn't sound like it will be to much of a problem! I'm really excited to take it out for the first time, already have a list of campsites to hit this summer.
One comment that I will make is the idea that someone mentioned that you need a big truck to pull a 16' Bambi. We have pulled, very successfully, our 19' FC with our 350 2013 Highlander Limited with the factory tow package. We live in the Willamette Valley. So, many of our trips begin with a serious climb up the McKenzie pass an through the summits in the Rogue Valley. Never have we had the slightest issue with not enough power or bad weight distribution. We have an Equalizer hitch set-up. No sway issues. D
Dave-Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Ludlow Falls , Ohio
Hi James, If you are going to be on those kinds of road, you may want to consider getting the rock shields installed. I have a 2018 Sport 22' and I am currently looking into them. All AS have these except Sport models.
whbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Boise , Idaho
Hello James
I too live in Boise, and am a recent purchaser of of our first AS. It is a 1002, 27 FB Classic that I am assuming I purchased at the same place as you..Dealer in Caldwell, Airstream Adventures (Solid place, no issues there). I just wanted to echo some of the comments that I have read regarding your question. You are smart to ask here. There is a world of experience in owning Air Streams out in the words of Forum menbers, that I have read here. And kicked a lot to tires before the substantial investment of AS. We joined The Idaho Airstream Club too, as the members there have given lots of tips and advice on ownership, as well as all the comradery that one can hope to find in “glamping”.
I think the pride of ownership, as mentioned, will always be there for you. The AS will call to you when you are not using it. You may experience the foibles of new ownership, but you will surely come to love and delight in your trailer.
Happy trails...Idaho AS club members meet every month (first Saturday) at The Golden Corral..maybe I’ll see you down the road.
billsargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Airstream 16'

If you are going out boondocking you might consider a 19' trailer. They have two waste tanks (Gary & Black) while the 16 has only one if I am not mistaken. That one tank can fill up very fast. Most common mistake is buying one size too small. Gravel roads I would definitely want rock guards. They are stainless steel and protect the trailer. Sometimes the factory has used ones if you can live with a few rock dings. There was a very nice 19' trailer listed on the classifieds a few day ago from Oklahoma.
Americal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Oro Valley, Arizona
First of all and with all due respect, to consider an airstream or any RV and investment is to not understand the definition of investment. They are an expense and they can be a big expense. There’s a saying about boats that a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money; there are some parallels with RVs and airstreams are no exception. it’s a lifestyle, it’s a quality product that you can enjoy richly but not if you’re too “poorly”, pun intended.
As to how a single axle airstream would do in a bumpy road I would not be qualified to answer. I can tell you that all airstreams have minimal clearance compared to many other rigs so that should be a consideration and I can also tell you from my 2XL model that any shaking and vibration will cause loosening of screws and wear and tear to occur at a more accelerated rate.
One more suggestion; you might try a used model of some sort, airstream or other, at minimal cost and give the lifestyle a try before you sink larger sums of dollars into a new mode. all the best to you.
ride2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:05 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Lots of good advice here regarding tire pressure (sure wish I knew that trick on the way into Anza Borrego), size of rig, trying used. I wanted to chime in on the used idea: as mentioned above, the most common mistake in buying new seems to be size. You may be thrilled w your sport, but many people return their smaller rigs within a year to get something bigger. Spend a lot of time inside one on the lot, pretending to cook, use the WC, get in and out of bed to use the WC, store dirty clothes and retrieve clean ones—you get the idea. Should you decide to buy a used Sport, many with low miles are available.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Boise , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
Investment?...
If you read the comments you'd understand...

But hey! Not everyone likes to read.
James3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
You may also want to consider a lift, there are 3" (block) lifts available to give you more clearance between the sensitive plumbing and the ground when you drive through the ditch next to the road into a camping space.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Sharon Springs , NY
Just curious why you would want to beat up a new trailer? These trailers have enough problems on paved roads, especially when new. Buying a used trailer would probably be a better investment, plus it should have all of the new trailer "bugs" worked out.
Freedom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
About to make the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom21 View Post
Just curious why you would want to beat up a new trailer? These trailers have enough problems on paved roads, especially when new. Buying a used trailer would probably be a better investment, plus it should have all of the new trailer "bugs" worked out.

Folks buy new because they can, it’s easy and they feel more secure with every new, the latest and greatest and a warranty. It may be just what they do when they go to buy a car or in this case a trailer.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whbrown View Post
Hi James, If you are going to be on those kinds of road, you may want to consider getting the rock shields installed. I have a 2018 Sport 22' and I am currently looking into them. All AS have these except Sport models.

I second whbrown regarding the rock guards. We got dinged a grand when we traded in our 22 FB because it had a couple of dings from rocks where the guards would have protected.
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
We were at Madison RV Resort and Marina near Yellowstone July 2018. 6 miles hard packed gravel wash board road from US Hwy. 1 clock off wall, 1 cabinet popped open (groceries everywhere- forgot 2 bungee), 1 pop rivet popped loose on exterior trim. About 10 mph. We stayed 4 nights, went in and out daily in truck. When we left we went even slower, mostly idles speed..Really nice RV Park, would go again if in the area. Went to campground in Jamestown ND 1.5 miles same condition. Ruff roads will take its toll on Airstream or any trailer. Just slow down really slow. Good luck, enjoy your Airstream and the "ADVENTURE", Airstream will take you places you never dreamed of. RVing and camping since 1980. WBCCI # 11944
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote