Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
75th Anniversary Bambi

Hi, Im new to the site and am immursed in research on airstreams as i am on the verge. The one that appeals to me most is the 19ft 75th anniversary Bambi. Am looking for others who have taken the plunge.

We have never done this. I love the look and feel and think we would love it. We like camping but are not nuts about tents and damp sleeping bags. Also my wife is enamored of having a nice restroom. Ha.

Our two boys 6 and 8 are gung ho. It may be snug but as they get bigger we think they would opt for the tent.

Looking for advice.

Our concerns? Wont use it enough to justify. Storage? Sitting there reminding us everyday that we aren't using it.

Meanwhile they are dissapearing so i need to decide soon. Maybe i am overly taken with the design of this model? If i had to choose between the others i dont know if id do it.

Any comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Randjg1 -- and welcome to the Forums! Perhaps you've seen my posts (latest one this afternoon) on this thread. This is a fairly small trailer. In spite of the obvious stylishness, the corner master bed is small unless one partner is closer to 5' tall. Putting the dinette down as a bed for two just works on small children. Your two children are at the age where this would be beyond you about the time you got the trailer. Depreciation on this small but high priced trailer will be definite, though the attractiveness will result in better resale compared to a 19' Safari Bambi for instance. I'm not sure the tow vehicle listed in your profile would really be up to the task -- we have a member using a Touareg for such a large (actually larger) trailer and he is vastly over-reaching on safety. Do I recall that the owners manual even recommends against using weight distribution gear? It even looks small if you put a Cayenne/Touareg up against a 10' tall Airstream.

It might be a case of needing to walk before you run. Take it easy -- do it if you will. But I'd recommend something more like a 1/2-ton Suburban or a Lincoln Navigator to tow a 19' Airstream.

I love my '06 for the long term and rent inside storage to maintain it for the best. We've had a member from Minnetonka get rather stumped on finding off-site storage for his Airstream.

Best wishes in your quest!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We looked at the 75th Anniversary 19' Bambi before we bought our Safari. If we thought we could have fit, we would have done it. That is the neatest Airstream that I have ever seen. I love the porthole and baby moons, and the inside is to die for. It's almost too neat to camp in.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

California RV

California RV in Redlands has # 27 of the anniversary model, all are individually numbered. Saw it today a real beauty. Almost traded my 2004 CCD Bambi in on it however a bit pricey. I'm looking now to switch out the bed in my Bambi for a sofa/bed configuration like this model. Has anyone tried this type of bed switch out?
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi randjg1,

Welcome to the forums.
I would recommend checking out the trailers for size at the dealership. The trailers look bigger on the Internet than in reality. We did this when we were looking.
I have 2 daughters and they were about your son's age when we got our AS.
We chose a 22' CCD instead of the 19' once we saw them in person. Today, as my kids are 3 years older, even the 22' gets a little snug when we're in there for any length of time. Consider the "Rainy Day Scenario". You could be cooped up for several days in the trailer if it rains, and your tent campers might want to migrate to a drier environment. The 19' is nice, but with 2 growing boys, I would think long and hard before plunking down $60K.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Wow, two kids and two adults in the Bambi. It will be a little tight, especially when it is raining cats & dogs and you have to wait it out for several hours or more. Our son is 7 and we opted for the bunk option on the Safari.
The cost of it just sitting there.... Well the beauty is when you can hook up and go! We can't wait to squeeze whatever time in when we can! Life is soooo short. I did worry when it came to our purchase was it too expensive. We haven't regretted our decision one bit.

Good Luck to you and your family on your decison.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
Another thought about storage. We have decided to leave our A/S at a local KOA campground. Close to home and easy access to the interstate, LP Gas and camp store on-site for any last minute items. 24 hour security for $45 per month with electricity and water, not bad for a 25' trailer. I checked into dry storage and they want upwards from $80. If we want to stay at the KOA we can use all their facilities swimming pool etc. for the daily rate. Try that at your local "Store your RV here" in a locked fenced lot.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
19' Bambi

Hi randjg1

Greetings from Dallas! I own the 19' 75th Anniv. Int'l CCD and naturally am head over heels in love with it! Canoe stream is right. I think you would regret not having at the very least the 22 or 25' AS as the boys grow. As a couple, we get a wee bit cramped and are still learning how to navigate around in that flawless interior without stepping on toes. Being modernists as we are, though, the close quarters are worth it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at the interior (we totally re-did it; new floors, dinette cushions. bedspread, curtains) (OOPS, sorry; see, I am obsessed; I got off the real subject) If the appeal of the interior design of the 75A19 footer overrides the comfort and space factor, then keep in mind that as the boys grow, tent camping for them will afford you two "space aplenty" inside your beautiful bambi. That is if you're not in an RV Park and it's not pouring rain. Good luck with your decision. Remember, regardless of which way you go, as long as it's in an AS, you're going in style.
indiancreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Randjg1,

I sure remember being in the place where you are now...excited and ready to jump in with both feet first.

It was a smaller Airstream that first set the hook for us. They are just so darn cute. They seem to speak to the *nesting instinct* in all of us....or at least for me. If it had just been my husband and I, I am sure we would have gone with something smaller like a Bambi. In the end, we gave it much thought and ordered a 28' CCD. We have two small girls (now 9 and 4) and didn't want to outgrow our Airstream.

We had never owned a camper or RV of any sort either. Our decision was driven by the desire to travel more comfortably and to experience new things with our kids. AND to make a sound financial decision...we did want to not find ourselves in a situation where we would need to take a second depreciation hit to get the right model for our family. We wanted a new model, so the first deprecation hit was acceptable for us.

Your concern about not using it enough...we have traveled almost 70 nights in ours since we bought it a year and a half ago. I guess you need to make the most objective and honest guess about how you will use it and then decide.

About storage? We recently found indoor storage for our Airstream and it has sure provided more peace of mind. Ours sat outside for a year and I worried about it every time it hailed or the weather was threatening. The exposure to the elements can take a toll over time and we wanted to keep our Airstream in the best possible shape to last a long, long time. Maybe that wouldn't be an issue for you...it was for us.

Lastly, try not to be pressured by the thought that these are going to disappear...I think you have time to make a good decision.

Good Luck on your decision...owning an Airstream can be a whole new exciting chapter in your lives!

Randi
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I agree, the 75th 19ft Bambi is really designed for two.

Ours is #68 and will be in production in a few weeks. Delivery is now on/about Oct 20th.

We managed to find indoor winter storage, but have to line up somewhere other than our driveway for the summer. All the storage places around here have a waiting list!

Now I'm interested to see what mods you have done to the interior indiancreek! Any photos?
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Wow. Such thoughtful responses. This is helping me tremendously. Although it always brings up more questions. But it has focused what is driving my decision making process.

I'd like to comment on what I've heard so far to see if i can come to a final decision.

The towing comments worried me as my dealer said no problem. (of course) but looking it up here's what I found. My Cayenne max braked trailer weight is 7716. Max Tongue weight 616.

And the Bambi is 4500 GVWR and 530 Hitch. So aren't I ok?

The comments about cramped quarters have me thinking for sure. We all sat in there and poked around and it didn't seem too cramped but i'm sure it will given time. I guess i'm not thinking of it as a home but a way better tent when camping. Thinking most of the time we'd be outside.

Rainy day? yeah for sure. I think if we got clostrophobic we'd get in the car and look for something to do.

The design has me smitten as others have mentioned. We looked at the larger ones the dealer had. I didn't like the layouts. Really they felt more cramped. I just don't see at this point really ramping up my TV to accomodate a larger one. And this interior is the end all be all for me. They'd need to come out with something similar for me to bite. (Maybe they will?)

I am a modernist lover too. Photos? Ha ha. Sounds awesome. Yes I just sat in there, on two separate trips now and it just felt right. Love the look of vintage but really want new.

I think we would step up how much we camp to take advantage of it. Lord knows we have a ton of lakes up here and to just buzz out to hang by a lake for the weekend seems really nice and would fill the void of not having a lake cabin.

Also am thinking we would store it in the side yard three months out of the year and dry store it in winter. There's plenty of room on the side yard. Our stainless grill is there. So when we aren't gone on a trip with it, I'm thinking, dig a fire pit, some patio stone and some smith and hawkin lounge chairs. Open the awning and some twinkle lights and the bambi is a focal point for entertaining, mini sleep overs for kids, friends, a getaway to read, a super stylish gazebo if the bugs are bad. Martini anyone?

ok am i working a bit too hard to justify this? Ha ha.

Just to throw you all a curve ball. A second thought was just get the BaseCamp. Would make camping better. Sorry honey, no potty but up off the ground. Out of the rain. Blah blah. Way less financial commitment. But would it encourage us to camp more? A bit. But it's not the Mount Rushmore/Yellowstone trip maker for us. That said, maybe Bambi isn't either. Of course a hotel stay here and there on a long trip might work?

Hmm, well I'm encouraged by thoughts that i may not need to decide as fast as i thought. Kind of silly to buy it now to put it in winter storage.

I truely appreciate the feedback folks.

Randy
Old 09-24-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Randy -- If you have your heart set on this I'm not so absolutely sure you'd find one in the spring. A lot of trailers are sold at February RV & camping shows.

You've got the Cayenne owners manual. I'll suggest a couple things. Read everything they write about towing and whether they mention weight distribution (you will need weight distribution!). Also pay attention to payload or load capacity of the tow vehicle. Your tow vehicle should not be burdened beyond this maximum weight -- add all weight inputs of driver, passengers, vehicle options, cargo or pets aboard, and tongue weight.

Airstream specifies the 75th Anniversary Bambi has a hitch weight without options of 530#. By the time you add LP to the tanks, weight distribution equipment on the A-frame, and personal gear in the Bambi, I will lay dollars to donuts that the actual hitch weight will come in closer to 700#. Use this number in the calculation suggested in paragraph 2.

Consequences of exceeding tow vehicle payload will impact durability of the vehicle, safety, emergency avoidance and braking performance -- and that is even before you consider there is a trailer behind pushing you around. Useful supplemental information is at Airstream's FAQ section: http://www.airstream.com/product_lin...aq.html#weight

So what is the payload capacity of a Cayenne?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
Hey Canoe stream, thanks.

Payload is 1600 lb. So does that mean i add up my passengers, and gear in the back plus the tongue weight?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Thats right

Yes, add that up to get the total to compare to the carrying capacity.
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
TIMEMACHINE knows his stuff. Good job!

Just remember, a heavy hitch-receiver combination will overload the rear axle GAWR unless weight distribution (WD) gear is installed on the trailer. WD gear has heavy spring bars that put force on the TV frame so that some of the hitch weight is transferred to the front axle. I don't think a dealership would let you out the door without one. Equalizer is a very good brand. Dealerships tend to have lowball friction anti-sway WD gear brands -- put your foot down and get something more reputable.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 09-25-2006, 09:31 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
is the cayenne a turbo? & photos of redo

First, randy, I'm curious about the cayenne stats, as our dealer said "no problem" with towing the AS with our turbo Cayenne. (Although we most likely will not; it's our "nice" car) I don't know about the Cayenne and Cayenne S models, but the turbo is heavier and more stable than some tow vehicles I have seen pulling 19' trailers. I've seen a Nissan Pathfinder towing one before and it is probably a 5500 lb vehicle. I really have to defer to the guys on this one, though. Canoestream is a fount of information-- (I have read many of his posts since joining the forums and have learned alot.)

Now to territory in which I'm more comfortable-- I will post photos of my redecorating when the whole project is complete. Bedspread will be finished this week along with the curtains. The last thing is the floor. BTW--this flooring is so cool. It's made by Chilewich (I think there is a website) It is the basketweave pattern woven vinyl with a metallic thread woven into it. It is a perfect complement to the Aluminum interior and matches perfectly the black laminate. Easy to maintain with a little vacuum and damp mop, and very edgey for all you modernists out there.

Randy, I hope you get exactly what you want and what is right for the family. The Base Camp will seem inadequate in comparison to the 19. I have had some great driveway parties in the AS. Imagine...the awning deployed to block the hot Texas sun and a blender full of Margaritas and a cooler of beer! My last "event" attracted curious neighbors who I had not seen in ages and we had a great time entertaining and enlisting potential new Airstreamers!

You will find excuses to go out in the trailer, plus, think of all the cash you'll save on vacations when you don't have to check into hotels! See? It practically pays for itself! No, seriously, my philosophy is that life is too short to worry about what might be, or will you use it enough. Those thoughts quickly fade when you're on the road, and then when you're ultimately snuggled into your trailer for the night with all the people you love.

Good luck! We'll be watching for your posts when you finally get your AS.

Nancy
indiancreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for that update indiancreek.

We are T minus 10 days to picking up our 75th, so we'll be waiting on your photos!

We love the interior of David Winick's design, but do wish he had used more of a marine quality wood (ok I bet he wouldn't have approved of that! LOL). Done in the quality of say, a Doral Cruiser, that 19fter would really have been eye popping! We just might do something about that down the road... or not.

I think my wife is starting with replacement curtains, floor matt and bed cover to homy up ours when we get it.

Might get to sleep in it for a few nights before winter storage
Old 11-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
For those who might be considering the 75th anniversary 19ft Bambi, I just put together a page listing all the available units.

Currently out of the 75 built, there are 39 units on dealers lots, and one on ebay. So basically about 1/2 the units are now owned by campers, the other 1/2 will likely be sold over the winter and summer of 2007.

Interestingly I only noticed one of the Quicksilver Bambis left for sale which was the 2006 special.

Anyways if you're looking for one of these fine units, check out
http://fishcreekpond.com/content/view/66/75/

Cheers
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Actually I'm moved that URL... try http://campadk.com/40winker/75thlocator.html instead
Old 11-12-2006, 07:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
75th Anniversary Bambi Video/Slideshow

I've put together a bucket load of photos hilighting the 75th and its features...

See http://campadk.com/40winker/videos.html

Cheers

Tags
2007 bambi