Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
25 ft. Airstream

In my opinion, no one can tell you what would be best for your use. I can only tell you that we own a 25 foot Airstream Sierra. I pulled that 25 footer through the Northeastern mountains (3800 miles) with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet pickup with absolutely no problem.

Myself, I am 80 with my husband being 83. I feel anything less than a 25 foot would become crowded and certainly when you add one or two more. Our 25 footer has the dinette, plus what I call my work table. That table sits in front the couch; folds down against the wall. I use that for my computer and work table and do not have to clear the dinette - putting up my work every time we have a meal.

I have bought a 28 foot Airstream - that was a mistake. The 25 foot Sierra is for sale. If interested, look in the Airstream Forums - Classifieds. It is headed "25 Foot - Texas" or some such. There are pictures and info.

My very best wishes to you and whether you are interested in our 25 foot Airstream, do stay with your dream of an Airstream. We have pulled travel trailers, both tongue pulls and 5th wheels for over 50 years and I have never pulled one that followed so well as this 25 foot Airstream.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Pace , Florida
OK,
I'm guilty of taking the dumbest approach to buying an Airstream ever.

Our first Airstream: a 2015 Sport 22FB. A beautiful rig; towed like it wasn't there (notice the past tense).

Your stated requirement: "Like: large enough bed for 2 to sleep comfortably. Very good kitchen counter space."

Let's just say that after two trips with the 2015 Sport 22FB, we now have a 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB. Still: tows like it's not there (seriously).

While the slightly increased length and width may not seem like much, it is! Also, the 23 has what is essentially a real bed. Everything about the 2015 Flying Cloud 23FB is much nicer.

Save yourself a LOT of money and get at least the 23. Eventually, you will anyway.

Did we take a hit, you bet. Do I feel a bit embarrassed, you bet.

But we're much happier! Good Luck!
JKSophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:29 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Holland , Ohio
My experiance with with 30" and 23" AS

Our first AS was an Flying Cloud, I loved the 30' but found it a bit cumbersome in smaller parks and feel it is a great length for long term camping or full time living. So now we have a 2015 International 23 front bedroom. I must say that it is a big difference in interior space. We are looking at doing some minor modifications like removing the dinning table and replace bench seating with 2 Euro chairs. The rear bath is much larger that the 30' and very nice. For camping in the Rockies I would think smaller is better for short periods.
RCLOUD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
A factor in our choosing the 25 was the ability for either person to get in/out of bed without crawling over the other. Like you we have a 2014 Tundra 5.7. Today is our third day out for a 35 day trip. Almost 800 mile from home right now. Sitting by the water in Fulton, MS as I write this. Happy to have the 25. Have never once said "I wish I had a smaller trailer". (Note... People with the 27 are as happy... Maybe even happier... Your truck isn't limited to 25)' of Airstream). :-)
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We owned a 14 22 Bambi. Being a women of age, I could pull and park it by myself. You never knew it was behind you. By myself it was great. But when we went to stay and my hubby joined it did not work well. The big bed was great but I could not make it. I ended up at the window side and a challenge for the middle of the night visit to the bath. We also found the lounge too narrow for comfortable sitting. The windows too small. We just traded in for a 25 FB FC twin. Our TV is ok but we will be trading in as we intend to head out for months at a time. The extra width and twins are a blessing. We found by using the privacy curtains, the smaller bath was just fine. I went on a 3 week sewing camp and it was luxury by myself. Hubby joined later and we had plenty of room. Our first dealer really pushed us to a 25 or 27 but the $$ were scary. But the trade in was great so this was not as scary. It took much deliberation for the 25 decision. We are very pleased with the 25. It still pulls like a dream. Vented air. Full awnings. Bike rack. Awesome.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, short and sweet; If the bed has more than one side touching a wall, you will need to be a contortionist to make it. We chose a 25' queen that has space around three sides of the bed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
We have a 25 twin bed and love it, it is a great size, enough room yet not too big to tow, and you can fit in most campgrounds.
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #28

2013 22' FB Sport
Idyllwild , California
22fb

Reading everyone's inputs is great , especially when sitting in our 22fb Sport in Northern California towards the end of a 2 week trip. My wife and I are very active, running regularly full and half marathons, mountain bike, hike, etc and the 22fb is perfect...for us. We too frequent NP, USFS , CA State Parks, and county parks and the 22fb with the narrower width (than the other options) and shorter length works very well with not so developed campgrounds. I've watched larger AS's in the same park get around, which they do handle but with some stress.

Ref boondocking, we've never maxed out our tanks, but when knowing our limitations based on length of stay away from services when we start out , we manage our use accordingly. We did upgrade to a GRP 27 battery and hasn't been an issue with 5 day boondocking trips. As insurance I do carry a 5gal fresh water jug but has never been tapped into.

Keep in mind, we don't do generators, solar panels, satellite TV (yes the TV worked once when we did our purchase walk thru)...we do stay in some full hook up campgrounds, the convenienceservice are great but not necessary for us.

I must say the 22fb works best with 2 adults, but it works well with our 17 yr old daughter when she's able to take a trip with us "old folks". Add another adult (4?), bring a tent!

We were in the same dilemma in choosing a AS, but considering price, storage space, TV capability, predominant campground space sizing, accessibility to those campgrounds, and uncertainty of how much use you'll get of your AS after the newness wears off, we chose the 22fb and haven't regretted....and still waiting to see when the newness wears off!

Good luck....from a 22fb (minimalist that likes a great bed and shower) owner.
nobonk262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks nobonk262,

When I told my husband I started this thread, gave me a Seriously look.

Then when I explained my questions, especially if we will want to bring others along, I think he agrees that it is really a question of who is using this and when and why.

We have a good friend who has camped for several years/decades (not an air streamer). He is a big outdoors person, has solo hiked for weeks at a time on the AT, and spent the last summer going to Alaska as he recently retired. I really value his insight a lot. He got a new trailer for his Alaska trip, a 27-28 foot with slide. He said that he chose the size because he really liked to be able to have his daughter and her husband come and camp with them, or his sister and brother in law. So that does make me think about it some.

I liked your line about "bring a tent". That is something we also have discussed vs getting the larger rig.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Valdosta , Georgia
22'

My wife and I have restored a 1958, 22' Caravanner, and we have a 120 pound dog, that we take everywhere. Our 22' trailer has a 19' long body and it sleeps two people and a huge dog all without issue or reservation. We "boon dock" more than we are plugged in and camp in all four seasons. It makes no difference if it is raining, snowing, etc. space is completely up to the individuals. My wife and I came from tent camping and this 19' trailer has more space than anything we ever had with a tent. In regards to trailers, figure out what you needs are. look at different floor plans, and consider your usages of the camper. Then the final consideration is where are you planning on taking this trailer? there are many factors regarding the picking of a camper, that is the investment that an Airstream is. Do not just pick out a trailer because you can afford it, or you can tow it.
AirAbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Springfield , Missouri
We were in similar situation

We were debating what length trailer to buy as well. We finally decided ease of towing was a bit more interested than more space but you have to make that decision on your own. We went with a 22 foot Safari/Sport and have only spent a few days in it but so far we are very happy with our decision. I think you will be happy with whatever you decide as they all have pros and cons. Decide what is most important to you and don't look back. Good luck!
cfishii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
What to Do...

I have a 2014 Tundra V8 and a 2004 Safari 22' AS.

One thing I noticed on the current 22 vs 23 is that if you are eating and have the table pulled out, you can't open the refrigerator on the 23 but you can on the 22.

Just my wife and I and no pets. (Sound familiar?)

The Tundra doesn't even know the trailer is there. You could tow any of your target vehicles.

I personally like the floor plan of the 2004 22' Safari which has dual axles, bumper, rock guards,, patio light and all the things they have stripped from the Flying Cloud 22' currently but the floor plans don't have me looking seriously at the newer 22 or 23 foot versions. The 25 is tempting, but the prices are going through the roof at the same time some very bothersome quality control issues are popping up. If I were to move from the current rig, which has plenty of black, grey, and white water for us (we can boondock for two weeks and only fill the grey water tank 1/4 full if we plan ahead and use paper plates and a dishpan for washing the few dishes we need for cooking), I would look hard at the 25 foot twin bed.

I guess it is all in what you want. Want to sit under the shower head for 15 minutes? Different than a navy shower where you soap up while the shower is off. Want to sit out in the fresh air in folding chairs? Then it doesn't make as big a difference how long your trailer is.

The big thing is to jump in at the level you think you will need. I find kids have their own plans, so I didn't buy mine with that consideration, but the fellow who sold mine did so because his son, daughter and two kids started camping with them, and momma wasn't going to have her grandsons sleeping in the Suburban any more, so I am thankful for those who undersize because their assessment of the using population ended up wrong.

Understanding who will be occupying the unit is probably the number one most important factor in sizing it.

Good Luck!
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the 25fb. Less counter space than the 22 but everything else about it is better. However, having owned it a couple of years I'm thinking of converting the queen bed to twins. You pretty much have to dress in the hallway between the shower and bath. Twins open the area up.

I'm on a 2 week trip out west and so far my Tundra has towed well. The holding tank size allows dry camping in NP for 4 or 5 nights. The extra width of the 25 is nice. If 23 was my only choice then it would be the 23fb. More closet space than a 25 and the rear bath is luxurious compared to a 25fb.
If I could afford new it would be a 25rb twin.
Kelvin
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Get the 25. You still may trade up to a 27, 28, or 30. I have a 30. If they still made the 34, I would be very tempted to trade. I picked the 30 because the floor plan was closest to our previous 28 and we really liked the layout/thought it was the most useful, practical, spacious, and had the most useful storage.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
25 for us ... save yourself the depreciation and anguish of trading up and start with the 25 ...
We really like the rear hatch / door of the EB 25 model .....
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:03 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Portland , Oregon
My $.02 here...
It often occurs to me that there are generally two types of trailer owners: those who lean toward the minimal and those who lean toward the "more is better" philosophy. Minimalist folks buy the smallest trailer they can possibly live with for various reasons including cost, weight, ease of towing, and, not to be discounted, the increased number of sites you can get into with a smaller TT. Maximalist folks often buy the most trailer they can afford to tow because they like the comfort and room and the factors above are less important. Or maybe they have a big tow vehicle already, so why not take advantage?
In your scenario, you are leaning toward the minimal, but seem worried that the occasional potential for extra guests will strain a smaller TT. You're also worried, I think, that you might make the wrong choice and will later deeply regret it.
I'm not a mind reader, but just have been camping for forty-plus years and these are the decisions all thoughtful people struggle with. My advice, since you asked, is to go with whatever size and comfiguration "feels" good to you now. You can enjoy it until it doesn't feel "right" any longer. That might be 2 years or 20. But, despite the nearly universal desire to buy the perfect fit that will never have to be replaced, I can guarantee you will re-evaluate over time and, if you need something else, you'll go get it.
Buy the bigger one and see how often your daughters go with you. If it turns out that what you really need is a smaller, more nimble TT, sell it and downsize.
Most of us have money concerns and don't want to waste any of it by making the "wrong" decision. But you can drive yourself nuts with that, too. Go buy one you like. They're all good. You'll have a blast. And if you change your mind, based on your experience, it's not a crime. Enjoy the process and have fun.
PS: We're minimalist and went smaller. Everyone else goes in a tent.
NorthstarNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Following NorthstarNW's thoughts, I offer two other variables for your consideration of what size is best for you:

1) How long are your trips going to be? The smaller ones get smaller as the trip goes on.

2) Do you see your usage being more like camping, or more like living in it? For example, we have a 23' which we love for longer trips but added a 16' Basecamp (quite primitive) for our few-day camping adventures.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
You are obviously getting many votes for the 25. There are many features that "start" at that size - bigger fridge, tanks. width, ducted air (if a '15/'16) to name a few. These are true in many used ones too. KJRitchie brings up a good point about twins versus the queen. The twins are perfect for taller people and extra space. You get three trunks instead of one, a room that you can get to the lockers and can be used to change or for a sitting room. It opens the trailer up.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Dunwoody , Georgia
I've had a 22, 25 and older (narrow body 26). I thought the 22 was okay for camping by myself or my son, but with our family of 4 it did not work in any fashion, sold it 6 months later, it was so crowded and cramped.

I have a 25 now and think it is the best of both worlds, you can't go wrong with the most popular size/model. I have the FB twin floorplan and everyone in the family loves it.
mtbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Another thought- One of the things I have noticed is how so many purchase an Airstream then spend quite a bit more customizing it- solar, upgraded electronics, wheels/tires 16", inverter, different converter, etc, etc. Consider this too. I bought used to save some money but I had no idea I would put around 15K into it, DIY, (mostly upgrades rather than replacements). Ironically, most everything I have purchased I would want if I purchased new as well. This kinda goes with ownership no matter what length you decide.