Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Tabernash , Colorado
22 ft Table problem

What seems like an easy issue has become hard.

I am having difficulty telescoping the table down. (Yes, the clamps are very loose.) I am sure that the telescope one inside the other but it takes a ton of effort to get them to line up. The first telescope works fairly well, but pushing it down to the next one just seems to catch and not slip down. After 3-4 minutes of rocking it looking for the perfect fit it goes down.

Anyone else have this issue or thoughts?

Jeff

JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I took mine apart and shortened it. Not because it wasn't working but I wanted to have the table go down a sit flush with the benches.

I didn't like the bump created by resting the table top on the benches.

First I made a new smaller table top as the original one had a sharp edge where the trim was glued poorly.

Once I installed the new top I found that the leg would not go down to allow the table top to sit flush, it was about 2" taller. I removed the leg and took it apart to shorten the sections. I had to cut the middle and top sections and make new stops to retain the pieces.

To get back to your question, the leg has 1 shock shared by both sections. There is a possibility that the shock is hanging up on the inside of the middle leg but it should have enough room to move.

The shock is sort of strange that it is has 2 pistons and they are slightly offset from each other. One points down and connects to the bottom and the other one points to the top and connects to the top.

Try some spray silicon lube around the connection points for each leg. A little bit should do it.

If all else fails it may just be that the shock has too much gas pressure and will eventually bleed off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3167.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	371907  

PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Love your tabletop, and I absolutely agree with the desire to have the table drop flush with the benches. We work around it with memory foam padding, but it's never quite right.

I have the same problem with the sharp trim and poor workmanship on the tabletop...
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCross View Post

I am having difficulty telescoping the table down. (Yes, the clamps are very loose.) I am sure that the telescope one inside the other but it takes a ton of effort to get them to line up. The first telescope works fairly well, but pushing it down to the next one just seems to catch and not slip down. After 3-4 minutes of rocking it looking for the perfect fit it goes down.

Jeff
Jeff, do you have a can of WD-40 around? If so, shoot a little around the posts with them extended and work it a few times. Sounds like a friction issue. You can also try silicone spray but Iíd start with the WD. Itís more of a solvent than a lubricant.

Hope that helps!
Jeff M
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
Love your tabletop, and I absolutely agree with the desire to have the table drop flush with the benches. We work around it with memory foam padding, but it's never quite right.

I have the same problem with the sharp trim and poor workmanship on the tabletop...
*Sigh*

*Looks at Airstream design team, then at table, then at team*

"Help me understand what the H double hockey sticks is so hard about designing and installing a table that collapses flat and flush, and won't draw blood, in an RV costing at least twice the average annual wage in the United States?"
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
22 ft Table problem

You looking at these guys?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0981.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	372402

Iím pretty sure they are still on the design team.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
And here is a photo of the QA team:

(if you don't see anything, your vision is working properly).
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
You looking at these guys?

Attachment 372402

Iím pretty sure they are still on the design team.
You have to really admire the photoshoper! Now it all makes sense.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:

Jeff
I was thinking about this some more and it may be that the shock has come undone at one end. This would explain why it goes down and then gets stuck.

If you are comfortable removing the table and the top plate. You should be able to determine if the shock is connected at the bottom just by looking down the tube from the top. Or you can have your dealer look at for you. Just add it to you list.
Old 07-12-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Tabernash , Colorado
WD 40 to the rescue

I sprayed what i considered to be a lot of WD40 around the 2 brackets, and coaxed some down the inside. The table now moves much more easily down than ever before.

I will continue to monitor to see if it gets better or worse, so thank you for the suggestion.

I have already put it on my 2021 list of things I will ask the dealer to look at when I take it for its annual checkup

Jeff
JeffCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
I sprayed what i considered to be a lot of WD40 around the 2 brackets, and coaxed some down the inside. The table now moves much more easily down than ever before.

I will continue to monitor to see if it gets better or worse, so thank you for the suggestion.

I have already put it on my 2021 list of things I will ask the dealer to look at when I take it for its annual checkup

Jeff
Hi Jeff, it's good to hear that things are moving better. Be careful not to soak the floor with WD-40. The table leg is open on the bottom so anything extra will hit the floor and run. It will get under the flange and mess up the wood causing the screws to potentially pull out of the wood.

I would suggest that you remove the 6 screws, then lift the table off and wipe up the excess lube if you think there is an excess. Use an even torque to put the screw back and don't over tighten them.