Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Orlando , Florida
22' bathroom door edge rubbing

The bathroom door is not squared in the door frame. The lower left side of the door has about a 3/16" gap and the upper left side of the door rubs strongly against the door frame molding. This makes opening and closing the door difficult. It seems to have recently gotten worse. No accidents, trailer is level. I looked at the hinged side of the door and don't see anything bent or abnormal along the hinge. I wanted to wack the door frame edge with a rubber mallet but figured that was a bad idea so I didn't. I'm considering popping off the tacked molding on the left side frame and sanding down the upper half and repainting. Any better ideas?
Thanks guys!
Simbone47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The Wallboard has some flex in it, but most likely it must be shifting a bit from the weight of the door. This is consistent with rubbing near the top. Perhaps the door hinge part of the wall was not secure as it could have been. Locate the fasteners, especially the top ones, are they tight? Loosen them slightly and wack it back with a block of wood and mallet. Don't wack the wall directly and go easy on it. You should also use an angled block of wood to pry and hold up the door were it is drooping during this process. When it fits, tighten the fasteners.

Don't shave the wall. It will fit if installed and secured properly.

Good luck!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Poor Door Hinge Design- Nylon carrying load

Had this issue in our 2014 25 foot International.

The hinge side, at the bottom, most likely has broken the nylon end off. If you manage to get the door hinge to remain up, you have then found the fix. If not you will always need to lift the door to clear the bottom aluminum ridge.

Somewhere I posted this solution to our 2016 shower door on the Forum. The glass shower door is heavy and bounces up and down when traveling. I also installed a right angle metal bracket above the door hinger to prevent it from bouncing up and down when moving. This was from spare hardware I keep around for fixing about anything, from spare hardware collected over the years.

I also jury rigged some nylon spacer to get the door up at the bottom.

When the door swings, it is an ARC, not at the hinge. Once you see the problem, you can correct me. My system worked. Just took awhile trying to figure out HOW to make it stay, after a few attempts the bottom 'lift kit' would fall out. A lot of pressure on this small base of the hinge.

Glass shower door? Maybe a thick polycarbonate or something should have been used in the first place. This is an accident waiting to happen.

If you travel on paved roads most of the time, may not be an issue. Once you travel on roads to Boondock... you may have the problem Simbone47 has discovered.

I believe our 2019 shower door hinge has been improved. I looked it over when inspecting the trailer before purchase and was content with it. The glass door and frame used in the Airstream, reminds me of those used in cheap apartment showers... but they were plastic and never were an issue.

Obviously, whomever signed off with this setup at Airstream JC never traveled far into the Bush Country and found themselves trapped in their shower, not knowing to lift and open. Otherwise, I cannot think of anything worse for a hinge, unless a competitor recommended it on a Forum... as being upscale with a good profit margin.