Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2022, 01:40 PM   #1

2022 16' Bambi
Providence , Rhode Island
2022 16' Bambi Zamp Solar Port Location

Hi! New to AF! I just purchased a 2022 16' Bambi. Interestingly, the Zamp solar port location to plug in an additional, exterior solar panel is attached to trailer body outside of the "A" frame. As I understand, which an Airstream representative mentions in a promotional video, the Zamp solar port is positioned inside, not outside, the "A" frame? Puzzled?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zamp Solar Plug.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	417242  
LunaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaBella View Post
Hi! New to AF! I just purchased a 2022 16' Bambi. Interestingly, the Zamp solar port location to plug in an additional, exterior solar panel is attached to trailer body outside of the "A" frame. As I understand, which an Airstream representative mentions in a promotional video, the Zamp solar port is positioned inside, not outside, the "A" frame? Puzzled?

Yes, it was inboard beside the battery box on our 2019 22FB. But your battery box looks big and there wouldn’t be room for the Zamp connector. What kind of battery does your trailer have?
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
I don't understand what your question is? That the video says something different from what you're seeing on your camper?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:17 AM   #4

2022 16' Bambi
I'm puzzled that you don't understand my question Farafield? For clarification, in the Airstream promotional video online, the Airstream representative mentions, and actually points to, the exterior Zamp solar plug located and attached to the inside of the "A" frame of the 2022 16RB Bambi. However, my 2022 16RB Bambi was delivered with the solar plug attached to the trailer body outside of the "A" frame. My question is: Why? As AlbertF confirmed, although he has a 2019 22FB, his Zamp solar plug is located inside the "A" frame of his trailer.
Old 06-10-2022, 07:29 AM   #5

2022 16' Bambi
Thanks AlbertF. There are two, AGM batteries on my 2022 16RB Bambi, which are included with the solar option. It is unclear why the Zamp solar plug port is attached to the trailer body outside of the "A" frame? As I understand, it should be positioned inside the "A" frame next to the battery box. I sent Airstream an e-mail inquiry as well.
Old 06-11-2022, 06:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Thanks AlbertF. There are two, AGM batteries on my 2022 16RB Bambi, which are included with the solar option. It is unclear why the Zamp solar plug port is attached to the trailer body outside of the "A" frame? As I understand, it should be positioned inside the "A" frame next to the battery box. I sent Airstream an e-mail inquiry as well.
I'm attaching a screenshot of the 16'/19' Bambi Owner's Manual. The Bambi's have this port on the outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 8.17.00 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	417348  

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
2022 16' Bambi Zamp Solar Port Location

Quote:

The answer is very simple. With a single battery there is room to install the Zamp connector inboard. With two batteries, a double battery box is used and there just isn’t room.

I installed two 6v batteries in the same kind of box you have. I had to remove the Zamp connector to do so. I use a two pole connector wired to the batteries so that I can plug in a portable solar panel.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 25' Globetrotter
2021 16' Bambi
Forest Lake , Minnesota
Our 2021 Bambi 16RB came with two AGM batteries and Zamp plug riveted to the A frame. Yours must be something new for 2022. This looks more convenient than ours. (I've since replaced the cheap plastic Camco box with a steel one for our lithium batteries and added plugins to the side of the box, but that's another story.)
JeffKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #9

2022 16' Bambi
Mystery solved. Yes the answer is very simple but it does not have to do with the number of batteries. All AS 16' Bambi travel trailers delivered with the solar option and the included two AGM batteries, including the 2022 model year, come with the Zamp solar plug bracket attached to the inside, not the outside, of the "A" frame. It was discovered that the AS dealership technician relocated the solar plug to the outside of the "A" frame on the underbody of our new Bambi in order to create space necessary to attach the anti-sway, weight distribution hitch brackets to the "A" frame.