Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
2020 Bambi 22FB hot water not working

After getting my Bambi back ready for camping again the hot water won’t work. It’s like I hear something on the outside heater (pilot light maybe) trying to kick on.
Shane74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
most times , its a bad board. very poorly design and made

many replaced the stock OEM with a dinosaur board.

we did that after three OEM failures. after 3 years , we have no issue with the dinosaur

http://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Ignitor_boards.htm
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Ditto. I was able to get mine to light with a match, but that’s no solution. Call Dometic, maybe they can give you a service center less than 100 miles away. (Most contacts provided me prepandemic were defunct.) The replacement can be done by even a humble handyman, but keep your receipts because you may have to beg Airstream to handle the warranty.
Dinosaur board is the best option . The Dometic boards are junk, they know it and don’t care.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
I have a week long trip to San Marcos TX, Pecan Park tomorrow and just figuring out that I have no hot water, that my LP gas tanks are not functioning so no stove, and that I will have no heat for cooler nights.

The only thing I could do is call up an RV mechanic, Rick from 5 star RV I think, who has great reviews. This guy said that he would meet me at the park when we arrived. Now I’m just hoping that he can take care of these problems. On the phone he sounded extremely confident.

I have no idea why I’m having these problems. All I did was drain my tanks and water lines for winter and then removed my batteries (solar) and brought them indoors. I hope this guy doesn’t have to order parts from Airstream. If so then this trip is ruined with no refund from the park.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
If your stove isn’t working, either your propane cylinders are turned off or they are empty. The stove is the simplest gas appliance in existence, does it even make a hiss sound when turned on? If not, the tanks are empty or off. If it does his but doesn’t light, then there is air in the line and you need to keep trying until it lights.

If stove doesn’t have propane, nothing else will. If stove doesn’t light due to air, nothing else will.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Ok stove not working as noted above. That’s a starting point.

Turn off all propane tanks.

Try to light stove. This will bleed off remaining gas pressure.

Possibly unhook lines from tanks for a moment. Then reconnect lines.

Now check regulator to see which tank it’s drawing from.

SLOWLY open the valve for that tank.

Try systems again starting with stove.

Also might not be a bad idea to actually remove a tank and confirm yup it’s not empty.

Your gas appliances were not made by airstream
And parts are common to many other trailers and good mobile techs might even carry some of the hot items.

And diagnostics beats firing the parts cannon. Any day.

Good luck

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
If your stove isn’t working, either your propane cylinders are turned off or they are empty. The stove is the simplest gas appliance in existence, does it even make a hiss sound when turned on? If not, the tanks are empty or off. If it does his but doesn’t light, then there is air in the line and you need to keep trying until it lights.

If stove doesn’t have propane, nothing else will. If stove doesn’t light due to air, nothing else will.
Thanks so much for your interest in helping. The tanks are on and full...that’s the problem. There is no propane getting into the camper.

I still can’t believe I’m running into these issues on a new camper but I’m gonna work through it and learn along the way. All I did was not use my camper for three months and now it’s like she’s mad at me.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Collins , Colorado
Don’t let it ruin your trip! You can have fun despite this!! I bet a mobile tech will get it fixed. Take an extra blanket. Plan more outdoor meals and jump in the ocean (brrr) or shower in the RV park facilities. You are going to learn more about your trailer, share the woes with fellow campers, and have a great trip!
AbbyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Propane cylinders have a safety feature were if you open them too quickly no propane comes out. You may need to turn them off, then very slowly turn them back on to reset this safety feature.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 AM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane74 View Post
After getting my Bambi back ready for camping again the hot water won’t work. It’s like I hear something on the outside heater (pilot light maybe) trying to kick on.
Hi Shane74,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customersupport@airstream.com

Thank you.*
Old 03-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Hey guys, just rolled into Buc-ee’s and just had a chance to read what y’all have to say. I’m gonna try these things with the propane issue. The big problem is the hot water heater not working (gas/electric). I can live without my gas stovetop. Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
So....come to find out it was the little screw under the LPG regulator. It needed to be turned just a hair counter clockwise. My hot water, furnace and of course stove is all gas operated so I’m in business now.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Question about 2020 Bambi 22 hot water switch

I was told that the hot water switch in the bathroom can stay in all the time because there is a thermostat to regulate it. Is this correct?
Old 03-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #14
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Shane

Setting the working pressure of the propane w/o the use of a manometer to measure the pressure is hit or miss. At best.

The working pressure is in the range of 11” WC.

Good luck

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 03-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Shane

Setting the working pressure of the propane w/o the use of a manometer to measure the pressure is hit or miss. At best.

The working pressure is in the range of 11” WC.

Good luck

Gary

Agreed, incorrect regulator pressure can be quite dangerous for all of the appliances. I would suggest having someone qualified to service propane gas delivery to inspect and adjust the regulator.
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHouseDreams View Post
Agreed, incorrect regulator pressure can be quite dangerous for all of the appliances. I would suggest having someone qualified to service propane gas delivery to inspect and adjust the regulator.
Ok, so this basically means that I still have a problem?, this guy was supposed to be a certified RV mechanic. All I know is that everything is working as it should. I can’t remember if he used a device to check anything.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Shane74, do you have the number of the repair tech? (Business card or cellphone memory?) He can address the concern about the need for fine tuning.
As nice as it is to own a quality, self contained camper, this lifestyle is loaded with the need for “plan B”s. We cook outside mostly, so we carry a grill and propane source (11 pound tank). Our induction cooktop makes for easy soups and skillet meals on a folding outdoor table. We carry a portable electric heater to save on propane or spare us from listening to the heat pump. None of these are very heavy, but they serve us well even when all systems are “go”.
Enjoy your time in Texas! You’ll get it sorted, and soon be smarter than the rest of us!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Crockett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
Shane74, do you have the number of the repair tech? (Business card or cellphone memory?) He can address the concern about the need for fine tuning.
As nice as it is to own a quality, self contained camper, this lifestyle is loaded with the need for “plan B”s. We cook outside mostly, so we carry a grill and propane source (11 pound tank). Our induction cooktop makes for easy soups and skillet meals on a folding outdoor table. We carry a portable electric heater to save on propane or spare us from listening to the heat pump. None of these are very heavy, but they serve us well even when all systems are “go”.
Enjoy your time in Texas! You’ll get it sorted, and soon be smarter than the rest of us!
I have his cell number and he responds right away. I guess I can give him a call in the morning. I just don’t wanna ruin any of my appliances. Crazy lol...I thought my problems were taken care of.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
To be honest, I’m glad it’s only the propane. I had to back flush and replace my pressure release valve on my 2020 this past December to get hot water flowing again.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Darren goes in depth showing propane pressure testing techniques and tools.

I just finished making my own rig and will test mine later.