Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Oxford , North Carolina
2020 Bambi 22FB Dometic Soft Start?

I thought I read somewhere in a FB Airstream forum that the Bambi Dometic roof top air conditioning unit has soft start built in. Can anyone confirm? Documentation is......limited. I did leave a message with Dometic support but they don't even list the model so I can't look at functions/capabilities (only installation manual).

Thanks!
Wake Forest, NC
boldie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
There have been rumors floating around but they don't seem to be confirmed. you can easily tell by removing the cover and taking a look.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Oxford , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
There have been rumors floating around but they don't seem to be confirmed. you can easily tell by removing the cover and taking a look.
Thanks. I will let everyone know what I hear from Dometic or if I can climb up there and take a look.
Wake Forest, NC
Old 08-09-2020, 12:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Oxford , North Carolina
Quote:
Assume I have to do that from the roof? I reached out to Dometic and they were no help. The documentation that comes with the unit is lacking (when do you use the vents on the bottom of the unit) and they say I need to model number. They don't appear to know what Airstream is installing in 2020 Bambi 22FB's....... They said by the compressor, assume that is a roof trip as well?
Wake Forest, NC
Old 08-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldie24 View Post
Assume I have to do that from the roof? I reached out to Dometic and they were no help. The documentation that comes with the unit is lacking (when do you use the vents on the bottom of the unit) and they say I need to model number. They don't appear to know what Airstream is installing in 2020 Bambi 22FB's....... They said by the compressor, assume that is a roof trip as well?
You would have thought they could at least confirm if they are using an ez start device on any of their units!

Keep us posted!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yes from the roof. Just remove the cover and on the curb side near the center will be the electrical compartment with the oval run capacitor, and if conventional, the round start capacitor and a small square thermal resistor along with the contactor (relay switch). If an aftermarket install was done the start capacitor is likely still there but one or both of the wires to it will be cut or removed. You may also see the soft start board installed somewhere in the blower chamber. There will be a wiring diagram on the electrical box showing the start capacitor and all.

I don't see any indication Dometic has ever shipped a North American Penguin or any other model with soft start other than the rumors which again seem incorrect. Dometic does make units for the Europe market and the Marine market with soft start.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Oxford , North Carolina
Smile

Quote:
Yes from the roof. Just remove the cover and on the curb side near the center will be the electrical compartment with the oval run capacitor, and if conventional, the round start capacitor and a small square thermal resistor along with the contactor (relay switch). If an aftermarket install was done the start capacitor is likely still there but one or both of the wires to it will be cut or removed. You may also see the soft start board installed somewhere in the blower chamber. There will be a wiring diagram on the electrical box showing the start capacitor and all.

I don't see any indication Dometic has ever shipped a North American Penguin or any other model with soft start other than the rumors which again seem incorrect. Dometic does make units for the Europe market and the Marine market with soft start.
Yeah, its interesting. The fact that they are asking for the model number I have vs. saying no they have not installed on any gives me hope.

Now, to find a ladder.
Wake Forest, NC
Old 08-13-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Bambi
Dearborn , Michigan
I found this...

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/lp/rv-air-conditioner

It has soft start, but is a European model...

peace
harphunt is offline   Reply With Quote