I thought I'd share some upgrades completed on my 2019 Airstream Sport 16rb. Covid-19 has caused me to spend more time in the driveway with my Airstream!! I am extremely happy with my upgrades and thought I'd share some of the mods. I am especially happy with the solar & lighting mods. I hope this inspires DIYers out there.
Mods to date:
1.Convert Factory LG (22LJ4540) IPS TV to use 12v
(22w) instead of AC – EASY
- Purchased UpBright New Car 19V DC Adapter Replacement for LG -Amazon -LG Adapter $12.99
Socket to tie into fuse box (distribution panel) and connect to LG adapter. Amazon Noco GC018 12-Volt Adapter Plug Socket With Eyelet Battery Terminals $6.95
2. Install usb-c plug in the front where the Stereo is installed – (Medium) Tools needed to drill hole and remove stereo and add a fuse.
3. Replace ½ burned out RED LED marker light – (Medium)
- Amazon - 1 Airstream Red Tear Drop LED Marker Light 10-leds $18.95
- Heyco 2030 SB-375-4 Black SNAP Bushing (Package of 250) , You could reuse the one that was there if your careful.
- Heat shrink Butt Connectors – Kuject 120PCS Solder Seal Wire Connectors, Self-Solder Heat Shrink Butt Connector Waterproof Insulated Electrical Butt Splice Wire Terminals for Marin $12.95
4.Replace Crazy Office bright interior LED lighting.
- Used the Butt Connectors from above.
- Ordered replacements from led4rv.com - 315 Lumen 9 Warm White LED Rigid board sku2268 - $9.95/each. I replaced all of them – Amazing difference. (be careful with the heat gun, to not melt the plastic. Or use a regular butt connector.
5. Install Black A-Frame powered Jack (Medium). – Generally easy install. However because I moved the batteries to the back of the trailer I needed to run a fused power lead to the front. Amazon Bulldog 500187 Black A-Frame Jack with Powered Drive $203.00
6. Solar install – IT IS AWESOME!!! RUNS MICROWAVE , KEURIG COFFEE, and Fridge when driving on a sunny day.
1 -Renology 100-Watt 12-V extremely Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel. $169.99
2- Renogy 50 Watt 12 Volt
Extremely Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel - Ultra Lightweight, Ultra Thin, Up to 248 Degree Arc, for RV, Boats, Roofs, Une $97.89
3 - Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt
Extremely Flexible Monocrystalline Solar Panel - Ultra Lightweight, Ultra Thin, Up to 248 Degree Arc, for RV, Boats, Roofs, Un $179.00
(Installed on the roof with industrial outdoor velcro (lots of it). So far hasn't moved in wind and rain! Velcro allows for water not to be trapped.
2 - Solar Panel Connectors 10AWG for MC4 to SAE Adapter PV Extension Cable Wire for RV Caravan Solar Panels Battery Charger kit with Two SAE to SAE Polarity Reverse Adapters (These, I used to reverse polarity so that I could keep the correct polarity and guage wire in the front compartment (water bin area) to connect to Charge controller.
3. amzdeal Wire Crimper Battery Cable Crimping Tool for 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 AWG Cable Lug Crimper with Cable Cutter $29.09 (Needed for lots of crimping.
4. Bay Marine Supply Busbar – 4-Post 3/8" Power Distribution Block (250A Rating) – Pair of Red & Black Bus Bar (with Complimentary Electrical Grease) $25.99 (I used several throughout my design at different amperages.
5 - ACP1033 NEMA 5-20P plug to IEC C19 SJT 6 foot 20A 125V power cord with UL certification. NOTE: This is a NEMA 5-20 plug with a prong turned 90 degrees. It will only fit into a T-slot NEMA 5-15 outlet. (Used to connect to Samlex Innverter/Charger) , You can also buy the hardwired version though. $18.99
6- Victron SmartSolar MPPT Charge Controller - 100V - 30AMP [SCC110030210] $226.00
7 - Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor $206.00
7. Two Battleborn 100Ah 12V
GC2 LifePO4 Deep Cycle Battery $1049/each
8. Samlex EVO-1212F 1200W Pure Sine Inverter/Charger $599.99 ( To fit this in the back , once you take the converter out you can cut the lower half of the distribution box off (Dremel), this give you room to install the inverter/charger.
9. Samlex EVO-RC-PLUS Remote Control $124.99
10. Marine Heavy Guage wire, 200A Fuse, miscellaneous connectors and switches about $200.00
11. Transfer Box so that the AC would not be powered by Solar but would work in conjunction with the Samlex.
12. Weber Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill (Converted to LPF) to work with Airstream – Hard – just buy the one already converted. It works great though.
Various install Pictures attached (Some when I was not fully installed yet, e.g. I have more panels up top).