Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I installed an Acuva Silver NX water filter/UV sanitizer under the sink. Posted these images in another thread, but it seems pertinent here as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3389.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	373078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	373079  

Name:	IMG_3393.jpeg
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	373080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	373081  

ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I also installed a Dura Faucet quick connect for the outdoor shower. This was the easiest upgrade, because it's entirely accessible from the closet floor. I should have had my 10 year old do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3374.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	334.5 KB
ID:	373083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3394.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	373084  

Name:	IMG_3395.jpeg
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	373085  
Old 07-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I got tired of the Dometic door sagging and becoming difficult to open. Blue Loctite and an angled screwdriver to the rescue!

Name:	IMG_3402.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	373154
Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
So I have decided to install my 250ah lithium battery under the bed in the middle. It is close enough to the junctions. I will delete the outside battery at the same time.

Then I will change the Zamp tongue plug to GoPower connector while I am there. There is a 2" hole in the floor so running wires is pretty easy. I will fill the hole once I get the new wires installed.

I am going to pull the stock converter and put an adjustable output unit in as well.

Then to wrap this up, a Victron 712 to monitor the battery.

Once this is tested on a few trips, we will decide on more panels and MPPT controller.

Then I have to beef up the bed frame as it is pretty crappy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3372.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	373165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3377.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	637.3 KB
ID:	373166  

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
So I have decided to install my 250ah lithium battery under the bed in the middle. It is close enough to the junctions. I will delete the outside battery at the same time.

Then I will change the Zamp tongue plug to GoPower connector while I am there. There is a 2" hole in the floor so running wires is pretty easy. I will fill the hole once I get the new wires installed.

I am going to pull the stock converter and put an adjustable output unit in as well.

Then to wrap this up, a Victron 712 to monitor the battery.

Once this is tested on a few trips, we will decide on more panels and MPPT controller.

Then I have to beef up the bed frame as it is pretty crappy.
My 240Ah lithium is under the "foot" of the bed, behind the water heater. It fits there, my inverter fits right on the other side of the panel, and the corner section is good for the junction board. Is that where you plan to put yours? The good part of that is that you don't lose any accessible space directly under the bed.

And yes, the bed frame can use help.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:47 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post
My 240Ah lithium is under the "foot" of the bed, behind the water heater. It fits there, my inverter fits right on the other side of the panel, and the corner section is good for the junction board. Is that where you plan to put yours? The good part of that is that you don't lose any accessible space directly under the bed.

I had a look at that space beside the water heater but this battery is so long at 20.5" that is would fit in either direction. I stuck it right in the middle of the floor as far forward as I could and built some framing around to secure the battery and protect it from objects in the compartment. It turns out that I can still put 3 of the 4 rubbermaid containers in space.

I will use the space beside the water heater for a future upgrade.

Then attached some wood to the under side of the plywood where is floats at the ends. Pretty easy and much firmer now.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
I'm going to test the Jack-It bike rack. We've been carrying the bikes in the camper on moving blankets, bungeed to the table post. They don't move and it's a great solution to keep their weight directly over the axle. But it doesn't work well on quick stops to charge the car, or simple overnights where we still have to remove them, lock them to the A frame, etc. This is an attempted workaround.

I have some efficiency/range concerns with the aerodynamic hit, but I like that I can remove the entire upper part with a single bolt, making it mostly temporary for when we're in need of the kids' bikes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3621.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	376527  
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
ohmman, with the rack and the bikes, what sort of impact do you think is occurring with tongue weight?

Do you have a link to the rack kit that you got?

Old 08-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
ohmman, with the rack and the bikes, what sort of impact do you think is occurring with tongue weight?

Do you have a link to the rack kit that you got?
I weighed my tongue with the bikes and the rack, but with an unpacked camper. I have a heavy folding solar suitcase under the bed, and the normal pots and pans and dishes in the camper, but no clothing or other items. My tongue weight was 410. I feel like I'll be able to keep it reasonable.

This is the rack I purchased. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp.../LC429756.html

My main concerns with this rack, outside of the hit to my EV range, were the possibility of the inner bike touching the shell, the ability to access my propane tank, and the ability to open the front awning window, which I love to do. The inner bike's handlebar is close, but the straps they give you really cinch things up tightly and I cannot see it moving. The propane tank is accessible for turning propane on and off, though a little tight. The front awning window opens to the first setting but no further with the rack fully in place. When the arms are easily removed (they're secured simply by pins), the awning will open to the second setting. In order to open it fully, you have to remove the bolt that takes the entire top off. That also gives access to remove the propane tanks.

I am storing it that way - with the top removed. It basically just consists of the cover for the tongue jack and nothing else, and it allows me to keep the foam and rubber on the rack in the shed and out of the sun.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I would strongly recommend loosening and rotating the inner bike bar. I learned the hard way with a different brand rack, but it will move and flex more than you think. Too late after experimenting.
Takes all of one minute.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:28 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I would strongly recommend loosening and rotating the inner bike bar. I learned the hard way with a different brand rack, but it will move and flex more than you think. Too late after experimenting.
Takes all of one minute.

Thanks for this warning! Can you clarify what you mean about rotating the inner bike bar? Mine share bars (front/back bikes). The only thing I can imagine rotating would be the bar that sets them above the propane tank but that would contact my TV and also cantilever the weight forward. I must be missing something...
Old 08-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
I would hazard a guess that Rich is referring to the handle bars on the inner bike.

Other question is about tongue weight. I am seeing mine at ~500 lbs and really have nothing heavy in the trailer other then about 100 lbs of stuff scattered throughout the storage areas. If think I would see ~600 lbs on mine if I put a rack and 2 bikes on the tongue not to mention those nice segment protectors that I have been debating to add about 75 lbs more.

Were you able to move some items to the rear of the trailer to lighten up the front?

I use 2 different hitch scales from Weigh Safe which give me tongue weight numbers.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, rotate the handlebar on the inner bike at the stem, so it is parallel to the bike frame.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Ah, right. The handlebars, of course. Thanks, guys.

Quote:
Were you able to move some items to the rear of the trailer to lighten up the front?

I use 2 different hitch scales from Weigh Safe which give me tongue weight numbers.
I didn't move anything. I don't keep my heavy tools in the outside compartment, though, as it's fore of the axle by quite a bit. My bottle jack, tool kit, etc. are all under the dinette at the wheel well. Also, I had a bumper added, which obviously puts some weight far behind the axle, and my chocks and electrical wires are in the bumper storage. So that might be the difference.

I use a Sherline LM2000 tongue scale.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmman View Post

I was able to install my inverter (GP 1500W) on the wooden bed frame looking at the space in-front of the water heater. It is out of the way from the storage area but I can still reach the controls through the door under the bed if I need to.

My GP inverter remote and Victron 712 are all near the battery store switch.

My transfer switch (GP 30 amp) is mounted under the storage closet removable floor.

I rewired my charger (GP 55 amp) to run off the shore input and then wired the 120AC panel input to the transfer switch output. Now I have all my my 120AC outlets active with my inverter. I don't intend on running my AirCon from the inverter.

I got a good deal on the Go Power stuff. Everything is tucked away and all you can see is the remote and BMS but you have to look for them.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Quote:
I was able to install my inverter (GP 1500W) on the wooden bed frame looking at the space in-front of the water heater. It is out of the way from the storage area but I can still reach the controls through the door under the bed if I need to.

My GP inverter remote and Victron 712 are all near the battery store switch.

My transfer switch (GP 30 amp) is mounted under the storage closet removable floor.

I rewired my charger (GP 55 amp) to run off the shore input and then wired the 120AC panel input to the transfer switch output. Now I have all my my 120AC outlets active with my inverter. I don't intend on running my AirCon from the inverter.

I got a good deal on the Go Power stuff. Everything is tucked away and all you can see is the remote and BMS but you have to look for them.
Install sounds great, Peter. I probably should have done what you did with the transfer switch. Instead I just ran a couple of cords off of the inverter - one at the kitchen and one at at the bathroom. My control switch for the inverter is mounted on the bathroom wall with all of the other controls.

I purchased a CPU fan and plan to add it to my refrigerator compartment to aid in cooling. I haven't decided entirely how/where I'm going to mount it, but I'll experiment a bit soon.

I've also got two more 50W solar panels coming on Thursday for my roof. That'll bring me to a 400W total plus 160+200W of portable solar options depending on where we're headed/how long we'll be off grid.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #77
The Joymobile

2011 22' Sport
MERIDEN , CT
I just removed the pedestal and installed the Langun mount for the dinette table this afternoon. I added some 3/4" plywood backer mounted to a 3/4" base that is also screwed to the floor within the cabinet. I also moved the 110v outlet about 6" to the left. From what I see so far, it will be a significant improvement. I'd post pics but it looks pretty much the same as everyone else who did the same upgrade.
JeffofCT is offline   Reply With Quote