Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #101
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
The Table Looks Great!

Linda - the table modification you made looks great. I bet that really opened up that walkway very much. Great job!
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #102
sck
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Thumbs up You all are amazing!

We have had our Sport for a week (had to drive an hour last night to quickly move it to cover as a hail storm blew thru south of Austin- I could just envision all those dings!) Anyway, I am totally impressed with all the ideas! Now I just need to get going and slowly implement a few. Thank you so much for all your help. (yes we did order the rock guards yesterday and they do come from Europe and it may be 6 weeks before we get them. Can't believe Airstream doesn't make them a standard item)
sck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:13 AM   #103
sck
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Supplies for these converstions

Frank, Mike (and everyone else)
Thanks for all the great idea on how to make our 22ft Sports more accommodating. I hope stupid questions are allowed! I am the dreamer, helping, coordinator in our home and my husband works to implement and do the actual conversion (and he (and I) still busy trying to read all the basic info we need to know) Just for future reference a few questions on the supplies needed will drilling into an airstream:
1. Do you use a certain type of drill bit when drilling into the walls? (do you check diagrams or anything to be sure there isn't any wiring, plumbing etc?)
2. Do you use an particular reinforcement in the hole once you've drilled it ( for items like the toilet paper holders, towel racks (or is it all like working in your own home)
3. Why length piano hinge did you order and were do you order them?

I am sure we will have more questions and I truly appreciate all your advice and suggestions. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck View Post
Frank, Mike (and everyone else)
Just for future reference a few questions on the supplies needed will drilling into an airstream:
1. Do you use a certain type of drill bit when drilling into the walls? (do you check diagrams or anything to be sure there isn't any wiring, plumbing etc?)
2. Do you use an particular reinforcement in the hole once you've drilled it ( for items like the toilet paper holders, towel racks (or is it all like working in your own home)
3. Why length piano hinge did you order and were do you order them?
All questions and ideas are absolutely welcome. Questions give each of us the opportunity to think of new ideas to make our Airstreams more accommodating and suitable for each of our unique needs. So please ask questions and make suggestions. To answer your questions:

1. I use the same drill bits I use around the house ... but I do make sure to use very short drill bits to ensure they don't penetrate the outer skin. I try to not allow the drill bit to extend any further than 1/4 inch beyond the drill if I'm drilling into an exterior wall.
2. Most components (toilet paper holder, towel rack, etc.) that I've relocated within the Airstream were anchored to the Airstream with traditional screws, so I have used the same screws when relocating those components ... BUT ... exercise caution in selecting what you use to anchor any component ... taking into consideration again what you're going to anchor that component to).
3. When I modified the bed to enable it to lift, I purchased a 72 inch piano hinge at Home Depot.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #105
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Personally, I would hesitate drilling into the "interior skin" of my trailer. With that said, I've "hung" a lot of personal art/photos on the interior walls and plastic panels. I used "double sided sticky tape" that I bought at Lowes/Home Depot. It comes in small pre-cut lengths. It is very effective and you don't need to use very much of it to mount something to the interior skin. Nice thing about this stuff is that when removed it leaves no residue.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Agree very much with Patrick. I just don't have the heart to use a permanent fastener to anything.

I also agree that removing adhesive is not that big of a deal. I took down the white memo board and put up a nice picture. Used dental floss behind the board to "saw" it off. It was affixed from the factory with foam double sided tape. I then used goof off and then rubbing alcohol to remove the adhesive. Then I hung the picture (in a lightweight Ikea frame with plastic in place of glass) with adhesive velcro.

I have used adhesive hooks for bath items.

I plan to move the TP holder like Frank and Mike did, and will probably use adhesive instead of a screw for that, just to avoid a hole.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	260706  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I use the 3M automotive type two sided tape; It holds better than the white stuff and doesn't split down the middle during removal. [or failure] Automotive body shops use fishing string to remove the items and the tape can sometimes be removed by rubbing at the end with your fingers and rolling as you go. No chemicals needed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
I Would Agree ... On Some Uses for Adhesive Strips

But ... the reality is that ... adhesive strips won't mount roller shades.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Frank and Mike,
I agree with you. And your shades look marvelous!

Piggy Bank
Old 04-17-2016, 07:44 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Frank and Mike,
I agree with you. And your shades look marvelous!
Thank you It turns out they were really easy to install.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:30 PM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Airplanes are made of sheet aluminum. Airplanes are held together with rivets (just like Airstreams) and sheet metal screws (just like Airstreams) and sheet metal screws will hold your pictures and toilet paper to the walls.
I installed two more towel racks (from HomeDespot) on the back of our bathroom door, but that door is hollow-foam-filled veneer and the weight of towels while travelling will loosen the racks and damage the door.
So I used "binder posts" and drilled through the door to mount the racks. Problem solved.
I installed a full length dress-mirror on our bath door also... but facing the dinette...not the bathroom...for dressing and making the interior of the AS appear roomier.
Great idea on the toilet paper relocation. I hate the distance from the toilet seat to the OEM location on the lav cabinet door. Thanks for the good suggestion.
WARNING to 22' Sport owners on that accordion shower door: AS failed to properly seal with silicone the lower track and the ends will leak water to a point beneath the shower and it will ooze out onto the vinyl floor in front of the shower and rot the floor. It LOOKS completely sealed...but it's NOT. The "floor" of that track is not sealed at the ends.
Fix: Remove the lower curtain track completely, clean the area, and properly re-seal it with genuine GE Silicone II. (This leak may fool you into believing the shower drain/sewer line has a leak, but it's actually that shower curtain lower track.) This is a wide-spread assembly-line error committed by AS on all these models.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:54 PM   #112
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Did you have to drill new holes to install these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Yes, absolutely, very happy to share the information. Following is the direct link to the shades:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?qu...t+roller+blind

They come in white, gray and black. We chose the gray so the attached photos reflect the SKU for gray. The 22 foot Sport requires 5 shades if you replace each of the blinds. So the attached photos reflect the SKUs for the 5 sizes.

Hope this helps.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
Did you have to drill new holes to install these?
I was able to use some of the existing holes ... but did have to drill a few new holes.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 PM   #114
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I installed a full length dress-mirror on our bath door also... but facing the dinette...not the bathroom...for dressing and making the interior of the AS appear roomier.

WARNING to 22' Sport owners on that accordion shower door: AS failed to properly seal with silicone the lower track and the ends will leak water to a point beneath the shower and it will ooze out onto the vinyl floor in front of the shower and rot the floor. It LOOKS completely sealed...but it's NOT. The "floor" of that track is not sealed at the ends.
Fix: Remove the lower curtain track completely, clean the area, and properly re-seal it with genuine GE Silicone II. (This leak may fool you into believing the shower drain/sewer line has a leak, but it's actually that shower curtain lower track.) This is a wide-spread assembly-line error committed by AS on all these models.
Good suggestion on the mirror facing the dinette (I've debated installing one on that side as well ... and very good suggestion to everyone on that shower curtain track needing sealant (we had ours addressed twice at the dealership for this issue).
Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 AM   #115
sck
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Equalizer Bars on hitch-Should we have them installed?

Any suggestions on the need for equalizer bars on the hitch. We are planning a cross county trip from TX to western Canada and haven't towed our AS but a few short trips. We have a 22 ft, single axle AS and a newer truck with a tow package and off road suspension
Old 05-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #116
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
I was able to use some of the existing holes ... but did have to drill a few new holes.
Thanks! That's the only thing that gives me pause - drilling holes into the interior skin. You said it was easy, and I believe you, but I am a bit paranoid when it comes to that...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Quote:
Any suggestions on the need for equalizer bars on the hitch. We are planning a cross county trip from TX to western Canada and haven't towed our AS but a few short trips. We have a 22 ft, single axle AS and a newer truck with a tow package and off road suspension
OMGosh! Yes.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
You can start a war with opinions on that subject,...
I've towed quite happily with a standard hitch, no WD or sway ctrl... but loading the trailer properly. In my own opinion, the bambi's don't need it generally. Rough roads, deep dips, tight turns, backing up.... are all a problem with them.
Try it without WD and if you don't like it... you can always buy into the WD market later.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #119
4 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2020 25' International
Clinton , Land of Purple Mtn Majesty,Montana
Quote:
I am by no means an expert on this but have learned a lot in the short time I've owned my new 22FB. I pull with a Ford Explorer that has the tow package so my experiences are going to be different (incidentally Ford "requires an equalizer hitch" above 3000#).

Since I'm not sure what size your truck is some of what I am about to suggest may be useless you to.

The important thing I've learned is that your trailer really needs to be level when towing. If the front is higher than the rear your plumbing is going to be in "peril" as it will scrape the travel surface.

Another thing I've learned in talking with those that pull via a "pickup" and don't have "equalizers" they have complained about a "rocking motion"...when the TV hits un-even surfaces. Since an "equalizer hitch" transfers about a third of the trailer weight to the rear wheels of the TV, providing a "smoother ride".

I have to acknowledge there seems to be a lot of different opinions on this subject as my son drives a Ram 2500 and is convinced they are not necessary.

Your about to make a rather long trek and the addition of a "equalizer" set up could be money well spent. Good luck coming to a decision.
Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:58 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
My 2 cents.

Since the weights on the 22 are not that much (relatively), the weight distribution may or may not be important.

But sway control is always important.

I feel for 2 reasons.

1 is that it can help keep you out of trouble.

2 is that we live in a country where when things go wrong, someone is always looking to sue somebody. I feel by using a WDH and sway control, that no one in a court of law could say that I hadn't properly equipped my rig. I advised my co-worker with a very small vintage scotty the same thing. She agreed. Why make yourself a target for those who would be looking for a reason for me to pay for their mistakes?

Piggy Bank