Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2020, 07:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
2 each 12 volt in Parallel Charging

I Know, I know. Millions of posts on this topic. There’s so many, charging questions, it too much to sort thru.

Short and sweet question. I have a 2019 Sport 22’ FB. It has one 12 volt battery. I can squeeze 2 12s in parallel onto the A frame. Do I need a different charger?? It’ll still be 12 volts, but so much more to charge..... or should I go 2 each 6 volts in series and call it even??
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We went with two GC-2 six volt batteries in series. Easy to get on the road from Sam’s Club or Costco. Easier to wire and I think they charge up better. Added a battery watering system to make it easy.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Nelson , British Columbia
My dealer installed a second 12 V battery and as far as I know did nothing about the charging.

Later, however, I replaced the two 80 Ah 12-V batteries with two 225 Ah 6-V batteries, and added 200 W of solar. Works great.

Scott
sdwilsonsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVSCH View Post
I Know, I know. Millions of posts on this topic. There’s so many, charging questions, it too much to sort thru.

Short and sweet question. I have a 2019 Sport 22’ FB. It has one 12 volt battery. I can squeeze 2 12s in parallel onto the A frame. Do I need a different charger?? It’ll still be 12 volts, but so much more to charge..... or should I go 2 each 6 volts in series and call it even??
Wow, I have the same trailer! I guess Airstream made more than 1

I have done a bunch of power enhancements on mine:
- Removed the 12v GRP 24 battery
- Rerouted my solar inputs and disconnected the tongue Zamp stuff I use 2 portable solar panels that plug into the new connection.
- Installed a 250 ah GoPower Lithium battery under the bed and the very front of the trailer
- Installed a Victron 712 Monitor
- Installed a GoPower 55a charger/inverter with variable charging profiles.
- Installed a 1500 GoPower ISW Inverter
- Installed a GoPower ISW remote
- Installed a GoPower TS 30a Shore Switch

I am pretty happy with the system now.

I added about 10 lbs. to the tongue weight after all this. I have enabled all the 120V outlets now so I can run my lights and other things with the inverter.

To answer your question, the current charger will work if you are not changing battery types. AGM batteries might be fine but do have a different charging requirement to Lead Acid. The charger built in is pretty good for Lead Acid and could be fine for AGM batteries.

Let me know if there are other things that you would like to change on your Sport! I have done a bunch of other things that were really bugging me.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt