Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 2005 and newer - Bambi all models
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
16' International vs 16' Sport

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 16' bambi, but have some reservations about picking up a newer Sport. I like that the International bambi models have a second panoramic window, and now I'm unsure if I should get an older model with this feature, or just get a newer Sport.

Can anyone comment on other changes? I see that the bathroom access door is also different, but don't have a comprehensive list of other differences. How much better is the interior compared to the Sport? Is the bathroom door at the entrance a better or worse design? Are the panoramic windows that much better on the bed-side?

Any other trade-offs going one way or the other?
WyldKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Hi and welcome! We bought a new sport after looking at both new and used. The internationals are great, I still love the interior and the panel guards, dual panoramic windows, rear bumper, powered hitch, etc.

Our problem was that we couldn't find one we liked at a decent price.

A couple of things

-The back bumper is great for storage. You can add it to your sport, but it isn't included.
-The bed pano is great for the view, but you'll stay warmer and have fewer knobs coming at you with the smaller sport window.
-You will have rocks thrown at your trailer, the guards kind of solve that, but I figured we could always add those later if we hated the dings.
-Though we never owned an older one, I would think the door orientation would be more difficult, having to go to the front door to get in.

It's a difficult decision, good luck!
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
International

My vote would be to get a little older international. More windows is a major plus for me and usually have an awning package but I would also stretch it to a 19.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I adore the double panorama windows on the Internationals. I also prefer the turned orientation of the 2 burner cooktop, and the cabinetry style.

But I have never ever seen one for sale at all close to me.

The are now old enough that upkeep would be a larger part of the ownership experience.

If I remember from when we were shopping, the new layout with the Sport the bathroom door by the aisle does allow you to stand in the aisle with bathroom door open, and the medicine cabinet mirror opened out, and use the mirror and the sink at the same time.

If we would have found a used international 16 we probably would have bought it.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I could be wrong but I think the international weighs a bit more if that is an issue for your vehicle you may want to research it.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
The International has:
Rear bumper.
Larger overhead cabinets.
Bigger axel with 15" wheels.
Pano rear window!
Different cooktop.
No microwave...
Window in door.
Electric jack.
Different side windows.
Different lighting.

There are other differences that I can't remember at the moment...feel free to add to the list.
We LOVE the rear window. Not sure we'd want one without it...
We just returned yesterday from a 4 month 13,000 mile trip around the USA in our Bambi... we love, love, love it!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
I bought a 2008 Bambi International a year ago and LOVE it! The panoramic windows were the key plus. Also less expensive than the "new" Sport. Personally, I like the International bathroom much better. A bit larger with larger windows (more light, can pull down shade for privacy), position of toilet gives more "leg room" and I find it convenient if I am outside and need to use the bathroom, to pop in quickly from the front door without having to take shoes off and enter into the body of the Airstream. I LOVE the light and layout. Design is better, too IMO...
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
The International has:
Rear bumper.
Larger overhead cabinets.
Bigger axel with 15" wheels.
Pano rear window!
Different cooktop.
No microwave...
Window in door.
Electric jack.
Different side windows.
Different lighting.
Can you go into more detail on some of these? The current Sport 16' also has 15" wheels - what's different about the axle on the International? Is the window in the door different on the current Sports also? And, what's different about the side windows and lighting? Thanks!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I adore the double panorama windows on the Internationals. I also prefer the turned orientation of the 2 burner cooktop, and the cabinetry style.

The are now old enough that upkeep would be a larger part of the ownership experience.
What additional upkeep concerns might there be on an International less than 10 years old? Any specific things I should be on the lookout for, and what costs to expect?
Old 05-12-2017, 05:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldKard View Post
What additional upkeep concerns might there be on an International less than 10 years old? Any specific things I should be on the lookout for, and what costs to expect?
Any unit that is at that age, just like your home, is subject to appliance /other moving parts wear and tear. So just need to be aware that AC, water heater, furnace, refrigerator, plumbing valves, tires, batteries, roof seals, fan, brakes, bearings, propane connections, water pump, awning, windows, smoke alarm, antenna, cooktop, faucets at some time can need attention.

This would not dissuade me from purchase, but everything has a life span, and a unit that is a few years old has already used some of this up.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:30 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Does anyone know if the tank sizes are the same for the International 16s as the current Sport 16? Was talking to a seller recently who thought the former models had slightly larger tanks.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Does the rear pano window on the 16' International Serenity open? I'm guessing there's an emergency push out, but can you crack it open to get some cross ventilation? Thanks.
Spizzlepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:56 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Rear pano windows

We went with a 2006 16' International CCD, largely driven by the panoramic windows. When you sit on either side of the dinette, the amount of viewable rear window is double. Yes, you can open the flat section for air circulation.

You may have to check what carrying weight is specified, by looking at the plaque in the closet. In our case, there was under 100 pounds to spare. This is pretty typical for that vintage. We upgraded to Gooyear Endurance D rated tires to get more margin- but keeping the single axle under 3500.

It's a small thing, but I think the older vintages have 12V accessory sockets for power instead of USB ports. I like the higher current you can get out of these, and you can always plug in a USB charger.

The vintage lights were halogen. We swapped them out for warm LEDs, and the power consumption dropped dramatically.