Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Vulkem?

We have a leaf blower and we have soap bubbles , but where do you get vulkem (spelling?) and how do you apply it?
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Caulk and Sealant 101 (As I learned from AS)...

Annemac,

I just purchased a bunch of sealants to be prepared for the inevitable leak(s) in our 04 19' CCD.

A few things that I've learned:

To the best of my knowledge, my AS and I'm assuming anything after mine uses Four (4) different kinds of sealant.

1) Tremco TremPro (Black)- is used to seal seams BELOW the beltline, i.e. seams in wheel wells, where copper pipe and drain valves appear underneath the trailer. It comes in a regular caulk gun size tube. Anything where the black aluminum on down.

2) Sika Sikaflex-721 UV (white)- if you open the outside refride hatch, where the fans are, on the bottom of the hatch, there is a tube that runs through the AS chasis. It looks like is is caulked with some white goop. This and places like that is where this stuff goes. I think it is also used to seal areas around the fans and vents on the roof as well as the AC unit.

3) Sika Sikaflex-221 (light gray)- this caulk is used exclusively over the very tops of the windows. For instance, the back (emergency) window on our unit has what looks like a little gutter that runs along the top of the window. This is where that caulk goes. I think there is a gutter like thingie above the door and front windows as well, but can't remember.

4) Schnee-Morehead SM Acryl-R Seam Sealer- This comes in a 16oz. can but you need to get the applicator in order to use it correctly. This is only used on the exterior wherever there is an aluminum seam. The applicator applies a fine bead. You have to get out old stuff first, but I would think your unit is to new to have to worry about this yet.

As ussual, feel free to confirm this info either with AS or others on this forum.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 05-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Thanks for the info...love your hat...
Annemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Oh, I forgot to mention, I got all of the above through the Airstream store, though others may have other sources for their stuff.

...and my hat loves you too!

Jonathan