Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Too many Airstreams?

Yesterday we went and picked up a 2005 28" safari LS. It was used for about 8 months and we got what I think, is a very nice price on it. We still have our 1977 International ( which is advertised for sale) and I find myself sort of reluctant to part with the "77. The new trailer just doesn't have the "panache" the old one does. I also have had an offer in to someone on a '68 Airstream. He wants too much money, but I may get it yet. Can a person have too many Airstreams? I realize we can only use one at a time. I just have this unreasonable attachement to the old trailer. Also, why is it that every trailer I look atthat has been used has a bunch of ugly hooks put all over the place??? Drives me nuts. Debbie
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Interesting sentiment.

My wife and I toured the new Airstreams last year, and decided we liked the character our real-wood, vintage Airstream has much more than what the new models were offering.

We can afford a new Airstream, but since we like what we have, there is no reason to buy a new one. So I think you can have too many Airstreams if you do not like the features each model year you own has to offer. If you like each model you own for what it offers, then you do not have too many.

Just my opinion.
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Call the doc!!! Vintage fever. Highly contagious!!

You may have picked this fever up from your rig, been reexposed at a rally. Not to mention all the vintage fever virus varieties on the forum.
Haven't heard of a cure yet. I heard a campfire tale once that Wally Byam had a thing about hooks, and that's why there are hooks in very odd places on our 79....
Old 09-19-2005, 05:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Debbie, The hooks are for hanging stuff. You can not drive a nail into the wall. As for "Too many Airstreams", that is a personal thing. I have two in the drive right now. One is parts for the other, but I find myself thinking that I can make the parts coach work when I am done with the other one..... You have to look at where will you keep the coaches. Can you maintain a "Fleet" of Airstreams and not go broke. Will you have a use for each one, say the newer one for long trips, the 68 for vintage rallies, and the 77 for kicking back in the deep woods... It is a hard question to ponder, but fun to think about too. Beware of collecting, it can be a hard habbit to brake.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Debbie,
First and foremost...welcome to the forums. As you will discover some of us cannot stop at just one I currently have 3 Airstreams on my property and am sad to say none of them is usable at the moment and I am on the search for an Airstream Integrity fifth wheel My 1975 Sovereign is my main AS and is undergoing a 120 step rehab as time permits, the 74 Tradewind is a basket case and spoken for, the 80 Excella has been gutted and has no title...but it may resurface as a mobile showroom for my beloved wife's bridal business. So if you want more than one...go right ahead you will be in good company!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Debbie,

I don't know what it is about those hooks, but I have 4 ugly, rusted ones riveted on the curb side...they're being taken off....I don't care if they were original or not, they're an eyesore.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #7
Aluminumoron

s , Florida
I'm "hooked"

Debbie, You ask a very poignant question and I am sure the responses will differ. I think one can possess too many Airstreams just as one can possess too many lawn mowers, or magazines. What constitutes "too many" is the real question. I own only one AS, but it needs a lot of work so I can't use it right now. Has that stopped me from looking for another that I could use right now? No! Should I be looking for another? Probably not, and if you ask my wife the answer would be a definite NO! If you own 10 Airstreams and use 10 Airstreams is 10 too many? If you own 7 and restore and intend to profit from 6 of them, is 7 too many? If you have a passion for something then you may feel no amount is too many but at the same time the amount you currently possess is too few. Yours is a question that will plague Airstream owners until the end of time. The hooks are symbolic of how one becomes "Hooked" on Aluminum!

T.A.S.
1972 Overlander - SOLD
Searching...again!
T.A.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
You folks are funny! I am sorry, I KNOW hooks are to hang things on ,but they gotta go. The new trailer has a queen bed and a dinette. Both those are lacking in the older trailer. I think I could get addicted to Airstreams. This is funny because I always said my idea of camping was the Holiday Inn. My hubby convinced me we needed a camper four years ago and I would only consider the old Airstream out of all the new and used trailers we looked at. Now I am an Airstream snob. If it isn't an Airstream (or a couple of other classic silver trailers ) it isn't a trailer. Debbie
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug
Now I am an Airstream snob. If it isn't an Airstream (or a couple of other classic silver trailers ) it isn't a trailer. Debbie

AMEN!!
Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile What she say! Uh huh!!

Quote:
If it isn't an Airstream (or a couple of other classic silver trailers ) it isn't a trailer. Debbie
Here on the forum if a trailer is not an Airstream its known as a s(ome) o(ther) b(rand) (sob) --Scuse my French, its not the owner, but the trailer...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:22 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Hi, my name is Rodney, and I'm addicted to airstream. It started out with just a little aluminum now and then and next thing I knew.........*deep breath*....I realized I was riveted.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
1989 29' Excella
1980 28' International
Avon , Colorado
Send a message via AIM to rfield54
Quote:
Can a person have too many Airstreams?
I don't think it's ever happpened. If you have the storage capability, why not? Insurance is a minor issue. I know a guy in Oregon who owns something like twelve, all kept on his property. They're like kids (and sometimes almost as expensive)...some people need more than one.

AIR #2753

www.roybloomfield.com
rfield54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:21 PM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
...and I know a gal in CA that has 23 or so. Said she has to put a few up for sale so she can get a couple more. Funny, I completely understand her way of thinking. Its more like too many Airstreams and not enough places to put them.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote