Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
Stress Cracks

For those of you who have strengthened the A frame due to the front end stress cracks, what was the repair and where was it strengthened? Since my unit has less than 1,000 miles on it, I would like to do some preventative maintenance before a crack appears.

Rick
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #82
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I checked the corners of the front "trunk" above the A-frame and found no cracks. I felt on either side of the hatch on the inside and the return felt very solid and wide before the return to the interior of the storage space. Could this mean that the dealer made the strengthening fix while the trailer was on his lot?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Beefing up of the front aluminum frame...

MinisMate..
I doubt yours had a "dealer fix" as the front panel must come off to fix this area. This is the panel that the front window is installed in. Mine is currently at the dealer for the repair and hopefully it will be opened up this week.

The dealer is going to open the front up, email all the pics to Airstream engineering and they are going to verify this repair is going to be beefy enough. The front moves quite a bit. I have almost 10k on my unit, and after I first noticed the cracks I put metal/foil tape over the cracks. I then towed the unit 680 miles to my thanksgiving destination and upon arrival found the tape ripped exactly on the areas where the cracks are.

I am probably going to have my dealer put the new front skin on without installing the storage door. It is hard to get to, a leak potential, and the front would be stronger without it.

I will post pics of the framing/repair.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
So if I understand this correctly, it is the flexing of the front shell causing the cracking. The dealer repairs are to the aluminum, not any reinforcement to the steel frame?

Given the large hole in the front panel (the front trunk door) I can understand why this would begin to present a problem after a bit of miles are put on the trailer. I can’t think of any other model where there is the large trunk door in the front, so it must be a unique problem to the BH.

I look forward to seeing the photos.

Rick
Air #99
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Tying the aluminum structure to the frame....

Rick,

What I understand they are doing is installing a powder coated plate that ties the steel trailer frame to the aluminum frame better. It is apparenly only attached in the front at the base of the verticle seams (by the hinges for the rock shields). the area under the storage door has no tie to the frame, so when and if the tongue flexes, it up, directly up under the storage frame.

So the piece they are going to install essentially is a "header" that spans the area under the storage door and is also fastened to the frame.

If you look at the other models, none have the exact storage type door. I belive the International CCD 28 has the same door but on the back, thus no load below it. I would prefer a round corner access door, which would be more stout but they will not pay for that under warrranty so I will probably just go back with a smooth skin, no door.

My dealer says that they are in the process of submitting a "design/repair" notice.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #86
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
My dealer says that they are in the process of submitting a "design/repair" notice.
I wonder if this will be a recall or an "only if required before the warranty is up" kind of thing. I'd like to have it taken care of before I get the cracks rather than wait for them to occur if it is a design error.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #87
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
I'd like more information on this "design/repair" notice.

I'm very concerned about this issue and also concern about the competency of my local dealer..
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #88
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm not sure that I wouldn't be taking mine back to the factory for the repair. It is about 4.5 hours to the dealer I bought from, and I don't trust the local dealers either, and about 10 to the factory. Going to the factory is scenic through the TN and KY mountains and across the OH plains...plus I might get to tour the factory this time. Anyway, I think I would take it back to the factory this summer if there is a recall.

Maybe we should all plan on a reunion trip in July and make the folks in JC do a double take when they see the Terra-port filled with Safari Bunks!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #89
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
As much as I would enjoy a July BH reunion (or would it be called the first annual…), I would rather drop off my unit in fall before the long winter in the north. With my previous Safari, I dropped it off at the factory before Christmas and picked it up in the early spring. The factory service folks are slow in the winter and were able to take care of everything on my “to do” list. I was very pleased with quality of the work and clever solutions for some of my problems.

My dealer, R&R RV Sales in Gilman Illinois, gets good grades. Family owned and family employees. My sales experience was great. A friend who ripped off the rear corner of his 28 Safari SO had repairs done that were undetectable when they were finished. However my “local” dealer, AS of Chicago, received a failing grade on my first visit – 4 new tires had 85lbs of pressure and only 3 new valve stems. Plus a whole list of other complaints I won’t bother to print. Its worth the 90 mile drive (vs. 10) to have a dealer you can trust.

Rick
Air #99
Old 02-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #90
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
Its worth the 90 mile drive (vs. 10) to have a dealer you can trust.

Rick
I hear you on this one. I drove more than 200 miles to another state rather than deal with the two dealers that were in the metro-Atlanta area at the time. Now I think there is only one, well, one is MOHO only and two are the same, only one is the rental unit of the other.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
stress cracks?

I’ve inspected my 30’BH and there aren’t any stress cracks up front, yet.

I spoke with the service manager on the topic today. He advises that we should let it be and inspect is occasionally. The factory won’t authorize a warranty repair unless we can supply pictures of a problem. He also said that if he were to reinforce that area, he’d try to do it from the inside, or underneath and try to avoid removing the outer skin. He has had similar repairs to a hatch area on the rear, but never on the front before. In those cases they were able to add reinforcement without breaking open the skin. He also advised that adding and extra seam to the front of the unit will also affect resale value, as any exterior change that is not normally there will be noticed.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Scheduled to be opened...

My dealer tells me he will have mine open next Tuesday. I will post some pics of what is apparent. Rick Luhr already posted the exterior pics, mine are exactly the same as his.

Curious as to how it will look all complete as they are going to install the classic aluminum beltline (used on classics) after the front is done.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Not sure what the "Classic" belt line is. There is a molding there already that extends over the stone guard. What other molding is there on the Classic?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #94
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Here's one on Ebay

"2005 Airstream Safari Bunk House 30ft " Item number: 270089673493

There isn't much detail in the posting for people that are not familiar with this model. I think the seller should point out that this is a rare two bedroom floor plan that is not available anymore.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:36 AM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
We will have to keep a close eye on the selling price. A good consumer could shop the remaining new 2005’s on dealer lots and get a price less than his buy it now price of $35k.

E-bay is a funny place. I attempted to sell my 99 Safari on it. There was an identical ’99 for sale at the same time about 100 miles away from me. In my opinion, my AS has been better maintained and was in better shape than the other one. His bid went up to $23k, mine never went past $16k. I spoke to the buyer of his after the sale (he had bid on mine as well). His reason for not purchasing mine? My AS was not a wide body. In my description I did not mention it was a wide body. I figured a person spending close to $20 on an AS would do a bit of homework before deciding to bid on it. I guess I was wrong. The trailer was eventually sold through Airstream Forums for a price that I felt was fair for both seller and buyer.

Rick
Air #99
Old 02-15-2007, 03:24 PM   #96
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Gillis
We will have to keep a close eye on the selling price. A good consumer could shop the remaining new 2005’s on dealer lots and get a price less than his buy it now price of $35k.
Rick
The seller must be in a hurry. The buy it now (also starting) price has been lowered to $31947 ?!?

I don’t think that there are too many new units available out there. Also, we don’t know if this one has any options on it at all. A/V upgrade, heat pump, fantastic fan, skylight?

SAFARI “LS” OPTION PACKAGE
Spare tire
Fantastic fan (living room)
No fuss flush black tank rinsing system
Aquajet water pump
Cast taillights (international type)
Electric hitch jack
13,500 BTU A/C with heat pump
Jackets & caps (2 ea)
Pure Touch Classic filtering faucet with separate sprayer
Screen door guard
LS graphics
Old 02-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Classic Trim..

Minis Mate,

Check out the AS website and look at a new Classic. They have an extruded aluminum beltline around the perimeter of the rig. (This would be the "equator of the body if you will). This aluminum covers the rivets.

Mine has to be installed because I have filiform corrosion at the beltline coming from several rivets.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:23 AM   #98
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
Check out the AS website and look at a new Classic. They have an extruded aluminum beltline around the perimeter of the rig. (This would be the "equator of the body if you will). This aluminum covers the rivets.
I tried that the other day and the Classic site says "Photos Coming Soon" for everything except the Front Bedroom and the Limited. The only thing I saw was a wide stripe that was along the side, but didn't wrap the corners and the limited stripe. There was the same lower molding on the Front Bedroom that is on our 30' Safaris, but was about all I could see. As usual, Airstream's website isn't up to date or up to par.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #99
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois

Amsterdamer, you are correct. There are not too many left, and the discounted prices are $40- 45K I was off by $10k (I should have looked at my spreadsheet before quoting a number). Last fall the dealer in Milwaukee was asking $45k for the LS he had on the lot. The one on ebay appears to be a LS model with AV option. You can see the CD changer, LS stripe, center smoked fantastic fan and the electric jack in his photos.

Mine is not the LS but does have the spare and AV package. Of the LS options, I really only want/need the fantastic fan and the electric jack. I figured for about $500 I can purchase and install those items this spring. I did a very close comparison of the two unit’s (100 miles north and 100 miles south) options and found that both LS and standard unit share the Aquajet water pump and the 13,500 BTU A/C with heat pump. The remaining items added $2,660 to the list price and about twice that for the discounted sale price.

Fantastic fan (living room)
No fuss flush black tank rinsing system
Cast taillights (international type)
Electric hitch jack
Jackets & caps (2 ea)
Pure Touch Classic filtering faucet with separate sprayer
Screen door guard
LS graphics

Communications center (option)

Rick
Air #99
Old 02-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #100
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Cracks in 30Bh front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Ok mine is in storage right now..but this makes me want to go look... You can even see how the door frame corners don’t line up on rluhr's. Does your front hatch door stick when it is jacked on level ground?
We need to document these in detail how do we reach out to more 30BH owners?
I'm starting to see unsettling trends here.. that is a major warranty issue.
I just checked mine in storage and have found one small crack at lower left front compartment door. Add one more to the list ,anyone who has contact with the factory or dealer please keep me informed as I may not be thawed out here till May!
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote