Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 AM   #881
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_K View Post
My wife has found a potential hitch in our Safari bunk plans. She was reading elsewhere that many of the National Parks do not have campsites for trailers over 25 feet or longer. Or, if they do accept trailers of that size, they only have a few spots available.

What have Safari bunk owners experienced with getting their trailers into National Parks? We would mostly be looking to camp in the western US and southwest.

Cheers,

Robert
The size limit can definitely vary by which National Park you are in. I live in AZ and know from experience that the limit at the Grand Canyon is 30'. If I were you I'd look at the different Parks you are planning to visit and see what each parks limits are and decide if that is a deal breaker for you on the 30' length. Even if you can't stay directly inside the park, you can usually stay close to the park in a private RV site or on BLM land. If you want to ensure you never run into a problem, yes I would choose a smaller travel trailer under 25'.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #882

Conroe , Texas
Hello - We will be listing our 2005 30' Airstream Safari Bunkhouse in the next 30 days in The Woodlands, Texas just North of Houston. All original with 4 new tires installed last week. Trailer has been in storage. Email jam142613@gmail.com if interested and want to see pictures.
Fennjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #883
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Evergreen , Colorado
2005 Safari Bunkhouse for sale - $25,000

We're just coming off of a year long road trip with our family of 5 and our bunkhouse is ready for her next great adventure! We're listing it for sale here soon. Well-maintained with all systems functioning properly. All new tires last September. Interior has been updated, mouse fur walls upgraded to aluminum like the new models. Experience the quality and classic design synonymous with Airstream and at a great value. Minor hail damage makes this bunkhouse a deal. Interested buyers call 918-261-6511.
seanmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #884
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
Couches in 05 and 06 Bunkhouses

Hello everyone,

My family purchased an 06 Bunkhouse from some wonderful folks last year. The POs (2 adults, no children) made several renovations to fit them including removing the couch. The old couch was "well loved" and they felt as though it crowded the walk space and kitchen area. It was discarded. We have 2 young children and would like to have some additional sitting space. I'm a little concerned that the POs may be right that the couch would crowd the entrance and walking area.

Questions.. those of you who have the couch, are we better off without it? If you like it, what are the dimensions?

For those who hate the couch, what did you do with the space when the couch was removed?

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. I'm hoping to make these changes while it is still cold. Can't wait 'till spring!!!
SCFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #885
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCFamily View Post
For those who hate the couch, what did you do with the space when the couch was removed?
I can't lay claim to having removed the couch, but we really like the other factory option of two swivel chairs and a fold-up table. We are a family of 4 and usually two sit there for dinner and two in the booth. It makes for room for all to eat any anyone can get up and move without someone else having to get out of the way. I assume that you could buy the credenza and table from Airstream (not cheap, I bet) or make one yourself. The chairs from Airstream weren't tied to the floor or wall, so anything you buy from IKEA or similar would give you the same issues during travel; we bungee-cord ours to a hook that I installed in the wall.

Another option I have heard of is that some people buy the flip-down bed frame from an Eddie Bauer Airstream and fit that to the wall in place of the couch. Then you have a bed / sitting place when you need it and it's out of the way when you don't.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #886
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Here's a couple pics of ours. Like WineStream, there are 4 of us and we usually let the kids sit at the dinette and Alisa and I use the table. The table is also my workspace on the road, the small amount of storage built in works well for magazines, books, games, , junk, etc. We got a couple director's chairs from Pier 1 to use in place of the worn-out factory chairs that came with it. Plain folding chairs worked for a while until we found those

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4465 - Copy.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	303571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4757.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	303572  

DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #887

omaha , Nebraska
Would you guys be interested in a 30 Bunk FB group? Its a PITA to keep up with this thread!
chiefmoj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #888

omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Questions.. those of you who have the couch, are we better off without it? If you like it, what are the dimensions?

Any additional thoughts would be appreciated. I'm hoping to make these changes while it is still cold. Can't wait 'till spring!!!
We took out the couch and all the cabinets in the MBed. The floor space is incredible!
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #889
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmoj0 View Post
Would you guys be interested in a 30 Bunk FB group? Its a PITA to keep up with this thread!
As much as I am a regular facebook user...what's wrong with keeping up here? I prefer the collective nature of the forums/thread. All discussion related to the 2005-2006 bunkhouse can be found in one place.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:08 AM   #890
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Donalds , South Carolina
Eddie Bauer flip down bedframe

WineStream mentioned an Eddie Bauer flip down bedframe conversion. This looks like a good possibility for us. Has anyone made this conversion, or made a similar one? I'm a novice cabinet maker and could possibly make one.
SCFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #891
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Quote:
WineStream mentioned an Eddie Bauer flip down bedframe conversion. This looks like a good possibility for us. Has anyone made this conversion, or made a similar one? I'm a novice cabinet maker and could possibly make one.

PO of my bunkhouse made this conversion. I'd be glad to get a couple pictures for you. Nothing fancy, just need to purchase the flip down leg assembly.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #892
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmoj0 View Post
For me it would be disappointing to abandon the Airstream Forums Bunkhouse thread and move all discussion over to FB. I don't have a FB account and do not desire to have one in my lifetime.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #893
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Hello everyone,

My family purchased an 06 Bunkhouse from some wonderful folks last year. The POs (2 adults, no children) made several renovations to fit them including removing the couch. The old couch was "well loved" and they felt as though it crowded the walk space and kitchen area. It was discarded. We have 2 young children and would like to have some additional sitting space. I'm a little concerned that the POs may be right that the couch would crowd the entrance and walking area.

In our bunkhouse we did the opposite. Ours didn't have the [jack knife] couch when we purchased it new in 2006. Our's looked like DaveMc's when we purchased it. We added it because the original chairs that came with the Airstream were constantly moving around, so we wanted the seating and wanted it to be stationary. I also like the extra storage under the couch. The jack knife couch has come in handy several times when we needed an extra bed.

I personally like having the couch and I'm not bothered by the space it takes up, but now that it's just DH and myself traveling, I could go either way with having it. The Eddie Bauer flip down bed sounds like a good option, but I have never seen one.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #894
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcharb View Post
PO of my bunkhouse made this conversion. I'd be glad to get a couple pictures for you. Nothing fancy, just need to purchase the flip down leg assembly.
Go back a few pages in this thread (link below)...Maybe FishByFly was the PO of cliff's unit?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...ml#post1475707
Old 02-07-2018, 11:29 AM   #895
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Yes and Yes. I’m the PO that Cliff mentioned and those are the pics and explanation for my design. I believe I still I have working drawings and spec on how this was built...though I built it myself.

On a similar but different note, we still have the two club chairs that came with the original trailer; Cliff didn’t want them. They are in like new condition, original upholstery, rock/swivel...and for sell. In storage waiting for a good Airstream owner.

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #896
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
Go back a few pages in this thread (link below)...Maybe FishByFly was the PO of cliff's unit?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...ml#post1475707

That's it
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #897

Currently Looking...
Glencoe , Illinois
Sheets

We just bought a 2005 30 Ft Safari Bunkhouse today in Tennessee. We will have so many questions, but right now I am thinking about sheet sizes in the bunkhouse and do I have to get them from AS? Thank you!
Wcohen426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #898
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcohen426 View Post
We just bought a 2005 30 Ft Safari Bunkhouse today in Tennessee. We will have so many questions, but right now I am thinking about sheet sizes in the bunkhouse and do I have to get them from AS? Thank you!
Welcome to the 30 Bunk club! I just buy XL twin sheets with elastic around the whole bottom edge. I have a twin size Beddy's over a foam mattress topper and it works as well.

Enjoy your new toy!
Tiffany
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #899
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifspiff9 View Post
Welcome to the 30 Bunk club! I just buy XL twin sheets with elastic around the whole bottom edge. I have a twin size Beddy's over a foam mattress topper and it works as well.

Enjoy your new toy!
Tiffany
I can second this idea. All beds in ours have memory foam toppers. We had to custom-cut the ones for the bunks. I think we bought a queen topper and then pulled the mattresses out of the bunks, traced their shape and then cut the foam to both. An electric carving knife (kitchen type) works great for this. For the front bedroom, again bought a queen topper but cut it down in length.

For sheets, we bought the special-sized "short queen" sheets for the front. The bunks have standard twin sheets. A great help here is to buy sheet suspenders. I'm not sure of the real name, but my wife found them on Amazon and we now use them even in the house. The have clip-ends like pants suspenders and you clip that on to the fitted sheet. It pulls all four corners to keep it tight. They are a pain to initially install, but very worth it after that. You'll never fight with the kids tearing off the fitted sheet during sleep since the sheet doesn't really match the mattress size in the bunkhouse.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #900

omaha , Nebraska
Does anyone have a wiring diagram? I'm specifically looking to reroute some coax to the fridge wall.

Thanks.