Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #781
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
Divide , Colorado
rluhr - Thanks for the comeback. Will probably use a combination of butyl tape and neoprene.
I was just curious as to what the factory thought was the way to do it.

Cheers,

Rod
gwydir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #782
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Bathroom Renovation

Hey Bunkers,

Has anyone done any sort of reno/mod to the bathroom areas? I would really like more storage under the sink and the goal is to put in a composting toilet (leaving black tank sealed but functional for if we ever sell) and I also don't like having to climb onto the "throne". The 2015 bunks have a totally different sink cabinet and I know the toilet is lower due to the ducted air but I think it uses the space much better.

I'm interested in any input, photos, ideas, etc. for what you have done or want to do. I'm also wondering what exactly is under the toilet/sink that it needs to be that high? Just the ductwork?

Thanks!
Tiffany
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150712_180826.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	242806  

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
tifspiff9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #783
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Another remod advice request

Our bunkhouses are 10 years old now...it seems many of us are doing some sort of remodel. We just did the first significant one in ours. There is now a new kitchen sick. As a result of how the sink mounts to the countertop, I had to install an additional thickness of wood all around. Due to the size of the sink, the original recessed board and previously-removed flip up cutting board won't fit back in. Any new panel will fit flush with the flip-down door at the bottom. I'd like to cover it with a panel, but I don't know where to find matching veneer wood (factory will custom cut???). I tried making a panel out of real wood, but there's no stain or even just polyurethane without stain that can match well enough. Anyone have a creative idea to cover this space or know where to get veneer panels that match 2005 Airstream interior?

Sorry about the rotated 2nd picture. It rotated when I uploaded and I couldn't quickly figure out how to turn it back.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG00321.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	249794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00320.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	249795  

WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #784
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I managed to come up with something. Turns out, there is magnetic stainless steel. It's not commercial kitchen grade, but I don't understand why they don't use this stuff on household level appliances. I ordered a piece off of Amazon and cut it to size, made a backing board to hold it, and then screwed the stainless to the wood with stainless screws. Now we have a place to hang rally flyers, campground maps, and whatever else. I only wish that I would have searched for a more matte finish. As you can see, what I ordered is practically mirror finish.

As a consequence of replacing the sink, we have the two cutting-board sink tops from the original sink. I suppose they would work on many other double sink Airstreams, but I'll offer here at the bunkhouse thread first. If you need one or both, PM me and I'll ship to you for only the cost of shipping.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG00403.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	252061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00400.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	252062  

Old 12-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #785
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Picture of area where blank tank exits the body

I was wondering if someone could help me by posting a picture of what the area should look like where the black tank drain comes out of the body. I managed to scrape my Airstream yesterday so bad when leaving a gas station that the skid plate at the back of the frame was bent and the black pipe was pushed up. Things seem to have rebounded nicely, but I'm now trying to get the part that (sorta) seals the black pipe to the belly pan. I think it was black plastic, but I never paid detailed attention. The dealer that I am working with asked if I could sent a picture showing what I wanted, which of course I can't because it disintegrated in the road contact.

Attached the area on mine that I am looking for a picture of, but hopefully with the seal still intact.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG00682.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	253196  
Old 12-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #786
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Went and took some pics for you. Looks like I needed to anyway as now I need to figure out why icicles are forming on ours (besides it being below freezing for five days now). Let me know if these help or you need more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1449027037040.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	253201   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449027050204.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	253202  

Name:	1449027063071.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	253203   Click image for larger version

Name:	1449027075595.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	253204  

I'm restless. Things are calling me away. My hair is being pulled by the stars again. -Anais Nin
Old 12-01-2015, 08:40 PM   #787
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Mine is tucked away in storage but I was going to comment on the construction of the attachment. Back when I first bought my Bunkhouse new I managed to tear the elbow off as well in Colorado on a dirt road. I made a makeshift repair in a Aces hardware parking lot to keep me traveling. The elbow has a strait end at the top, that is no slip joint like a regular abs or PVC fitting. The piece coming off the blackwater tank is a white plastic "skirt" that the 90 fittings slips into then the hose clamp tightens it all up.

I never have liked the whole setup and have a couple of ideas for improvement.

I have since dragged mine several times but never have broken it off again.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #788
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifspiff9 View Post
Went and took some pics for you. Looks like I needed to anyway as now I need to figure out why icicles are forming on ours (besides it being below freezing for five days now). Let me know if these help or you need more.
Thanks for the pics. It seems different than what I thought mine looked like...but again, I didn't really take note of mine. But it gives me an idea that perhaps just a new aluminum plate (although yours looks to be rubber) and a lot of vulkem could do the trick.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM   #789
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifspiff9 View Post
Hey Bunkers,

Has anyone done any sort of reno/mod to the bathroom areas? I would really like more storage under the sink and the goal is to put in a composting toilet (leaving black tank sealed but functional for if we ever sell) and I also don't like having to climb onto the "throne". The 2015 bunks have a totally different sink cabinet and I know the toilet is lower due to the ducted air but I think it uses the space much better.

I'm interested in any input, photos, ideas, etc. for what you have done or want to do. I'm also wondering what exactly is under the toilet/sink that it needs to be that high? Just the ductwork?

Thanks!
Tiffany
Didn't get any responses so trying again. Anyone out there have any input on the area below the toilet? We're so close to installing the composting toilet (freezing tanks in CO are just not fun) but they are so tall already that I'm worried about putting on top of the platform our toilets currently sit on. Has anyone had to get in there for any reason and can confirm what's behind the platform before I rip out something I may not want to?

Thanks for your help!
Tiffany

Old 04-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #790
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
Hello everyone. For being an Airstream lover I am ashamed to say that I just stumbled across this floor plan and absolutely love it! Now the fun part begins of finding a used one. If anyone runs across a good used 05/06 30' bunk house please let me know.

Cliff
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #791
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Cliff,
Just saw this today,

http://york.craigslist.org/rvs/5534574267.html

Good luck,
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #792
1 Rivet Member

Gainesville , Florida
Hello all.

We are currently looking at purchasing a 2005 bunkhouse we've found. The counter top on the wall side is soft from likely wood rot. We are assuming this is the result of water collecting there from use of the sink but are worried it could be from an exterior leak. When we opened the drawers and looked at the wall (under the counter) we saw no real issues. Unfortunately, we didn't examine the subfloor there. We can do that later, but the trailer is a bit of drive from where we live.

I was wondering if any you other bunkhouse owners have come had a similar issue with counter top softening/rotting? We are newbies and are completely fine to replace the counter top, but we are concerned about it possibly being something major. Hopefully not!

Thanks for any advice or input.
BlubirdFlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #793
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubirdFlies View Post
Hello all.
I was wondering if any you other bunkhouse owners have come had a similar issue with counter top softening/rotting? We are newbies and are completely fine to replace the counter top, but we are concerned about it possibly being something major. Hopefully not!

Thanks for any advice or input.
We just did some extensive work to the countertop area of ours (new sink...see posts above...Oct 5, 2015) and found nothing soft. I can see how it could happen though if not wiped up after washing dishes. I've not talked to anyone else with a bunkhouse with such a problem, but I've only met two others.

If the softness near the sink or near the wall? If it's a result of the sink, I would expect soft near the sink and vice-versa. I can't say 100%, but usually exterior leaks cause the floor to get wet since the water leaks through the outer shell and then soaks the insulation and then creeps or runs down the insulation side of the interior wall and ultimately ends on the sub-floor.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:42 AM   #794
1 Rivet Member

Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
We just did some extensive work to the countertop area of ours (new sink...see posts above...Oct 5, 2015) and found nothing soft. I can see how it could happen though if not wiped up after washing dishes. I've not talked to anyone else with a bunkhouse with such a problem, but I've only met two others.

If the softness near the sink or near the wall? If it's a result of the sink, I would expect soft near the sink and vice-versa. I can't say 100%, but usually exterior leaks cause the floor to get wet since the water leaks through the outer shell and then soaks the insulation and then creeps or runs down the insulation side of the interior wall and ultimately ends on the sub-floor.
The softness is definitely in the corner where the counter top, backsplash and wall meet. However, along the entire wall edge the counter gives as if it is not affixed to the wall or the support is missing. That could just be more rot on the counter top along the wall, not sure. I will definitely inspect the subfloor there.

On an unrelated note, do you know if this ridged gray sheet of metal in the underbelly is standard on this model, and if not, why it might have been added (see pic below)? Thanks very much!

Old 05-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #795
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Looks like a different sheet has been added. Which corner of the trailer is this? Wondering if this is in the area of the tanks. I sent you a personal message.

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
2010 F250 Lariat

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:01 PM   #796
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
I can't make out which part of the belly this is either, but I don't suppose it really matters for the question. I've been under mine rather extensively and didn't find any sheet like this. I am guessing that someone in the past needed to replace a section of the belly skin but didn't want to buy a roll of the right stuff and sourced what was locally available. It could be as well that the original belly had lost too many rivet connections and instead of drilling them all out and replacing with bigger rivets and/or washers to distribute the load; the owner just opted to put a panel there and drill all-new holes for the jacks and rivets to hold the new sheet in place.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #797
1 Rivet Member

Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
I can't make out which part of the belly this is either, but I don't suppose it really matters for the question. I've been under mine rather extensively and didn't find any sheet like this. I am guessing that someone in the past needed to replace a section of the belly skin but didn't want to buy a roll of the right stuff and sourced what was locally available. It could be as well that the original belly had lost too many rivet connections and instead of drilling them all out and replacing with bigger rivets and/or washers to distribute the load; the owner just opted to put a panel there and drill all-new holes for the jacks and rivets to hold the new sheet in place.
That is my guess, too. It just makes me wonder what would cause this and if there is something we're not being told. The dealer hasn't given us a good explanation.

Here is an even better picture which shows it from a wider angle.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #798
1 Rivet Member

Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
Looks like a different sheet has been added. Which corner of the trailer is this? Wondering if this is in the area of the tanks. I sent you a personal message.
The first pic that you were responding to shows the back left stabilizer jack area, but the last pic I just posted shows that it's quite a bit bigger than that. It is fairly long and covers quite a distance of the length of the trailer.

I'll check my PMs now. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #799
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Taylors , South Carolina
Good afternoon everyone! I just spent hours reading through this thread, y'all are great!

My wife and I and two daughters are looking to go full-time for a couple of years while we travel and I work as a travel nurse in cardiac ICUs. We are looking into this model as it has a designated area for our girls and the length and weight is perfect for our TV (2005 Ford Excursion with the V10). What are you all seeing as fair prices for the model these days? I've included a link below of a trailer we're interested in. The dealership vouches for the structural and systems integrity but admits to some cosmetic blemishes inside and out. He is sending me detailed pictures of the trouble spots later today. From a brief glance what do you guys think? We'll be putting half down and financing the other half. Should hear back later today on the financing part from Lightstream.com

http://www.sunsetrvs.com/#!airstreamsafari/lwcde

Thanks in advance!
Mortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #800
2 Rivet Member

Denver , Colorado
Hi!
From what I can see, the main things missing are the cubby door in the bathroom and the wallpaper border. Both are easy fixes. Outside looks like lots of rock dents or could just be the lighting; I don't see any major dents to the panels. Interior looks in decent shape.
Issues I've seen to look out for are the floor inside the hatch under the queen bed (water comes in the angled border on outside of hatch), underbelly state, and state of sewer pipes as they are awkward on this model.
Overall, looks in decent shape though I'm leary of them pointing out how much wear and tear it has. I've seen them from $30k-$37k. There were only 78 made and I've seen four converted to non-bunks so they are getting more rare.
Good luck! We full-time in ours in CO and love it!