Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #61
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, I opted to pass on the audio upg pkg that included the sub. I opted instead to buy a Bazooka BTA6100- 100w powered sub and install it using the pre-wire. Sounds great with zero issues so far. I picked one up, new off eBay for about $89.00 and spent about an hour to install.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
FWIW, I opted to pass on the audio upg pkg that included the sub. I opted instead to buy a Bazooka BTA6100- 100w powered sub and install it using the pre-wire. Sounds great with zero issues so far. I picked one up, new off eBay for about $89.00 and spent about an hour to install.
You'll get a few thread returns on Eric doing this if you use Advanced Search, keyword - Bazooka, username - Silvertwinkie. Been trying to set aside some time to try it myself -- glad somebody else did it first.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
My plug in is behind the curbside wheels, and it is just a trailer flat 4 connector.

Which is the LH, RH, Positive and Negative?? I have scoured my manual and my dealer sez never looked into it.

'The plug' is for a connector style plug similar to an under the hood automotive wiring harness. The wires have banana plugs on the end of 20 feet of wire. 4 plugs, 2 for each speaker +/- it’s a strange set-up it works but the wires are a bit of a pain. When I bought my AS the connector did not come with it, so I had my local dealer order them from Jackson Center.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #64
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
Our factory installation came with an in-line FM modulator for the CD changer. You would tune your existing head unit (existing car type stereo) to an unused radio station that is set on the FM modulator. Your VCR/DVD player plugs into the modulator and the modulator is inserted between the antenna lead and your head unit.

Here is a link to one that should work:Amazon.com: Univ Fm Modulator: Electronics

I like the coat/towel rack in your bathroom. Where did you get it?
My stereo doesn't have audio ports on the back. Well, it does have some, but when I plugged the DVD in and put a DVD in, it didn't route the sound through the speakers and there was no AUX mode on the selector switch.

I looked at the FM modulators at Amazon.com and there wasn't quite enough info there for me to understand if that is exactly what I need. I checked at Radio Shack and at Best Buy and the only units they had were to plug your Ipod into only and required a 12 volt socket or AAA batteries.

Two of the units on Amazon seem like what I need if I understand them. The Pyle DVD FM Modulator looks like it would work, but I don't see how it gets power. (See photo below) I assume it needs a long 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter (there is a 12 volt socket below the overhead locker where the DVD/VCR is, but it is about 6 feet from the stereo) but it doesn't say if it comes with one or if it gets hard wired. If I understand it correctly, the FM antenna wire gets plugged into it and it gets plugged into the FM antenna connector. Again, it doesn't say this, but the photo looks like that is the case. The other model doesn't have a photo to look at and isn't all that highly rated.

The towel rack/coat rack we have in our bath room came from the container store. If you don't have a Container Store in your area, here is a link to the item:
The Container Store > Shop Wall-Mounted > Flip Hook Rack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pyle FM Modulator.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	31558  
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #65
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
These photos are unique to the 30' model, but I thought I'd share them anyway.
Oops! That should have read, "These photos are not unique to the ...."
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Audio connections

You may not need the FM Modulator.
Our system has the JVC KD-DV5000 stereo w/ the 6 CD Changer. I've chucked the CD Changer (& the Subwoofer). In order to get Sarah's XM Radio input & her iPod, I bought an adaptor cable from crutchfield that plugs in where the CD Changer normally goes & has RCA audio inputs. Now I can set the stereo to receive "Line-in" vs the CD Changer.
I've figured out how to get the rear interior speakers to turn off when the speaker select switch is in the "Out" position, get the DVD sound to play thru the TV, and get audio input into the stereo from either the TV - XM Radio - iPod - etc.

I'm almost done w/ the Audio connections (just need to hardwire the XM Radio power & finish putting the XM Radio antenna install.) I'll post pictures & my updated version of the wiring diagriam when I'm done.
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Quote:
My stereo doesn't have audio ports on the back. Well, it does have some, but when I plugged the DVD in and put a DVD in, it didn't route the sound through the speakers and there was no AUX mode on the selector switch.

Those RCA connectors are outputs from the head unit that are designed to go to an external amplifier or amplified subwoofer.

Quote:
I looked at the FM modulators at Amazon.com and there wasn't quite enough info there for me to understand if that is exactly what I need.

Two of the units on Amazon seem like what I need if I understand them. The Pyle DVD FM Modulator looks like it would work, but I don't see how it gets power. (See photo below) I assume it needs a long 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter
The FM modulator will need power, but you should be able to determine a hot and ground wire that is going to the stereo head unit and tap off of there. Normally there is a switched 12V output on the head unit that is used for power antennas. If available, use that one, since it will turn off the FM modulator when you are not using it.

Any modulator that will work with a headphone jack will work too, but you would need a mini-plug to RCA adapter. This adapter from Radio Shack would work and I know the stores stock it: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2453587&cp=&pg=1&searchSort=TR UE&sr=1&y=12&origkw=mini+rca&x=12&kw=mini+rca&s=A-StorePrice-RSK&parentPage=search You might also need a female / female mini adapter to swap the gender.

I'm not finding an FM modulator that will work for you on the Radio Shack site.

Hope this helps, and thanks for the link to the hooks! We'll still be snowed-in in February when you take your first trip of the season.
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Stereo / DVD / XM Radio Connections

Attached are the wiring diagrams (still in draft).

I'll start a new thread about our XM Radio install & fixing the speaker connections when I'm done this weekend, but these are complete enough to give you an idea of how I've got things set up so far.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	31645   Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	31646  

Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hey Roy,
This is good stuff..its too bad your sub does not work...my seems to be good. I even scared my daughter when she was sitting on the dinette and an F14 buzzed the flight deck in a movie... It looks like we have the same factory set up your wiring diagram is solid. I'm planning on a similar mod before it gets hot in Phoenix. Does Crutchfield have a three way switch so I can hook up my ipod and xmradio and still be able to watch a dvd? That way you could run dual zone.. So the XM is playing outside and air-theater is playing inside?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

Old 01-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #70
_

. , .
hi bunk house owners....

you've been YOUTUBED!

here is a link to a video tour of a modified bunk house. they added washer/dryer to the rear and made some other changes.

the video is #1 of 3 parts each about 8 minutes and a nice tour inside this versatile model....

well worth the time time to watch...

the other 2 segments are easily found...

enjoy

2air'

klattu/liberator also posted a short vid walking outside his trailer at the can opener rally....

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM   #71
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Saw that one on eBay....don't think it sold....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #72
_

. , .
here is part 2...

=

and part 3...

=

a nice tour.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Those mods are very well done. Nice Bunk conversion of a family trailer to a couples trailer.. the back office is cool I really like those shelves.. However I'll buy a new airstream when my kids out grow this one and the need becomes a trailer for two instead of four.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Warning: Don't run three pair of speakers wired in parallel

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
Attached are the wiring diagrams (still in draft).

Roy
Roy:

It occurred to me last night that you need to be careful about putting three pair of speakers on one amplifier. Automotive speakers are 4 ohms and the amplifiers are designed to run two pair of speakers. By adding a third set, you drop the resistance to less than 2 ohms and introduce the probability that the amplifier will overheat and/or fail.

It makes sense to me now that the speaker selector should be configured as follows:

1. Inside with 2 pair of speakers
2. Outside with only the outside pair of speakers
3. Both with one pair from inside and one pair from outside.

Hope this helps - Eric

Here is something that I borrowed from: Shavano Music Online - Speaker Wiring/Loading Examples

3 Speakers

This is usually a very poor combination if all the speakers are the same impedance and I strongly recommend against it. A lot of people ask me about a 3 speaker combination - I'm not sure why anyone would go out of their way to use this combination (2 or 4 speakers are much better when all the speaker impedances are the same) - If you get a cabinet that is designed for 3 speakers, I suggest that you get with the person or company who designed it and ask for their wiring recommendations.
NOTE: It is very easy to put together 3 speaker combinations that can damage your power amp because of too low of a load impedance - make sure that you choose your configuration carefully.
  • All 3 speakers in parallel:
· For 4 ohm speakers, you get a 1.33 ohm load.
WARNING: Very few power amps can drive a 1.33 ohm load

· For 6 ohm speakers, you get a 2 ohm load.
WARNING: Power amp must be able to drive a 2 ohm load

· For 8 ohm speakers, you get a 2.67 ohm load.
WARNING: Power amp must be able to drive a 2 ohm load

· For 16 ohm speakers, you get a 5.33 ohm load.
NOTE: Works well with power amps designed for 4 ohm loads
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:20 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Eric,

Makes sense. I'll have to check the specs on the headunit & break my multi-meter out to see what the pre-installed "Amplifier/mysterious box" outputs.

Roy
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 PM   #76
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
Those mods are very well done. Nice Bunk conversion of a family trailer to a couples trailer.. the back office is cool I really like those shelves.. However I'll buy a new airstream when my kids out grow this one and the need becomes a trailer for two instead of four.
I agree, the modifications were really nicely done, but I have to ask, why on earth did they buy a Safari bunk and get rid of the bunks? They must have 1) got a tremendously great deal on it, or 2) wanted the extra room the bunk bed area offered with the washer/dryer and office in mind for that space.

My concern for the next owner is the washer dryer. That far aft, wouldn't it run the risk of either throwing the trailer out of balance and affect towing or lead to rear end sag/rear end separation? In the third video the guy admits they towed it home and it hasn't been towed since so you know all of the modifications took place after it was parked. So that is a question even he can't answer.

I will say this though, had it not been for the wheel well being in the foot area under the dinette, I would consider switching the location of the dinette and sofa just to get the dinette closer to the kitchen and the sofa less in the kitchen in our trailer. I understand cutting the size down to a two person sized dinette to increase floor space, but I still need the four passenger dinette for my family.

I showed the video to my wife and she liked the washer/dryer combo and said that might be something to consider when our kids are no longer in our camping picture. I'm with AZstreamin, I'd rather go for a new trailer than modify this one by then. Of course by then this one will be a collector's item since there were so few made...you know, I may have to hold on to it and get a second one then just for that reason.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #77
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
The changes were interesting, but it begs the question why? Airstream now has a lot of good floor plans (i.e., SE 28) designed for two people that I would consider first before undertaking a major remodel. The washer/dryer is a nice luxury item, but I wouldn’t want to drag the weight and waste the space for the once a week use.

Does anyone know what the asking price was for the unit?

p.s.
I am jealous of those of you in the warmer climates that have been able to run out to your AS to look at the AV system. Chicago is in single digits and Punxsutawney Phil is telling us to look forward to 6 more weeks of winter…
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #78
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
In Atlanta we are in the depths of our winter. End of last week we were in the upper teens for lows and upper 30's for highs. Yes, that is cold for Atlanta. This morning we were in upper 20's. Starting tomorrow our highs should be back in the 50's and by next week we should have lows above freezing again. But we will make up for it in the summer. This being another El Nino year, we will probably have a very wet summer in the Southeast. Unfortunately for the Florida peninsula, that doesn't mean rain to brake their droughts. Camping for us may mean a lot of last minute trips when the weekends appear to be dry.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 02-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Hello, I have enjoyed reading this thread and can report that I have experianced most of the same issues, with the exception of the stress cracks I will be watching that area closely. Rich I think an article would be interesting.

As far as the article idea -- good thought! "Airstream's only true two-bedroom trailer". I'll start gathering names of owners and see if we can whip something together. It really is a unique trailer, and I am constantly surprised by the number of people who see ours and say, "Wow, I never knew they made a trailer like this!"[/quote]
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #80
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Rich, I've thought a lot about the unit in the videos. When you get ready to put together that article on the 30' Bunk, you should look that guy up, or the new owners, and include it just to show the flexibility of the plan and the Airstream as a whole. I doubt many would want to go to the extensive re-design that this particular unit went through on a unit as new as a 30' Bunk, but it would demonstrate what can be done with an older unit if someone wanted to get creative and do a custom renovation.
WBCCI# 4821