RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #581
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
There will be a new Airstream Bunk model introduced to the dealers next week. Many more windows and some tweaks to the layout. There should be pictures Tuesday.

Andrew T
Interesting - given then limited number of bunkhouse units that were built in 2005/2006, I would have thought AS concluded that there was not much of a market for these layouts. I guess it's time to test the waters again.

I'm keen to see the new model!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 AM   #582
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I guess it's time to test the waters again.

I think the original needed more glass, aluminum interior and the front wall to the bedroom area opened up in the daytime. These changes should make it feel twice the size so we will see if that helps sales this time. It is also going to have a much larger black water tank.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM   #583
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
As a almost 7 year bunkhouse owner a new version is exciting. It will be interesting if it is the same weight, same tongue weight capacities of water etc. This floorplan continues to amaze me with the storage and function of it.

The only bummer is realistically you are outside of a 1/2 ton tow vehicle and it has grotesque plumbing hanging out the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3709381034.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	173169  
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #584
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS View Post
As a almost 7 year bunkhouse owner a new version is exciting. It will be interesting if it is the same weight, same tongue weight capacities of water etc. This floorplan continues to amaze me with the storage and function of it.

The only bummer is realistically you are outside of a 1/2 ton tow vehicle and it has grotesque plumbing hanging out the back.
Completely agree about the grotesque plumbing...it really stands out as a real weak point functionally and visually.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #585
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
We have some major plans for our 05 bunkhouse over the next few years... One of them includes raising the ride height by about 4 inches to give more clearance to the black water plumbing disaster waiting to be crushed off in a slope. Has anybody come up with some other solution to relocate this thing?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #586
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
My solution to the ghetto plumbing is to have a gate valve immediately after the black water pipe as it exits the belly pan. Then to have a separate hookup for the grey water, yes you will have to hook up to each tank seperately but it cleans it up and with the black tank rinser system the waste line is clean.

Would not want to raise whole trailer as it handles so nice now.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #587
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Safari SS I agree with you raising an Airstream does affect the handling more than you realize. If you would like a smoother tow vehicle you can go that way. With a little tweaking of your hitch you can easily tow your bunk model with several other vehicles.
In a full size SUV the Ford Expedition, Dodge Durango and Mercedes GL all have independent rear suspension they all handle, stop and ride much better than a 3/4 ton suburban.
Even with your current 3/4 you look to be carrying too much weight on the rear axle. You could buy an Eaz-Lift brand hitch to shank to replace the cast iron reese one you have now. This will move the ball about 5" closer to the back bumper which will make it much easier to transfer weight. You could also use a more reward angle on the ball mount. I think you will be surprised at how much that improves your current ride and handling. The Suburban should be pushed down about 3/4" at the back and 1/4" at the front when you connect the airstream. If you do this you will need to ajust the cams for the straight line.

Andrew T

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #588
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
My solution to the ghetto plumbing is to have a gate valve immediately after the black water pipe as it exits the belly pan. Then to have a separate hookup for the grey water, yes you will have to hook up to each tank seperately but it cleans it up and with the black tank rinser system the waste line is clean.

Would not want to raise whole trailer as it handles so nice now.
SafariSS -

Did you ever post a photo of this mod? It sound like a good solution.

If I recall, there is a sensor in the black water tube between the belly pan exit and the valve? (Trailer is in winter storage, so cannot look). Did you move this sensor?

I agree about not wanting to raise the trailer. Once of the attractions for us for the airstream was the ease of entry. One of our children has limited mobility - he can enter/exit independently into the AS, but not into a comparably sized SOB because they are way too high.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #589
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Maxtow,

I have not done this mod yet, however this is what I have planned. You are correct the black sensor is in the long 3" diameter pipe, and the grey sensor is in the tank. I was going to put the sensor in a short straight section of pipe as it only needs a 3/4" tap. With the change in placement of the sensor the calibration will need to be updated on the sensor panel.

I have ripped this plumbing off once in Colorado on my way to a boondock rally off road. I was able to fix it in a true value hardware parking lot with common PVC stuff, but this has been a sore spot since I bought her new in 06.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #590
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Maxtow,

I have not done this mod yet, however this is what I have planned. You are correct the black sensor is in the long 3" diameter pipe, and the grey sensor is in the tank. I was going to put the sensor in a short straight section of pipe as it only needs a 3/4" tap. With the change in placement of the sensor the calibration will need to be updated on the sensor panel.

I have ripped this plumbing off once in Colorado on my way to a boondock rally off road. I was able to fix it in a true value hardware parking lot with common PVC stuff, but this has been a sore spot since I bought her new in 06.
Sorry - misread the tense of your post. I'll watch with interest when you proceed. Fixing the plumbing is down on my list of repair items however. I need to address the leaks in the roof...I think the skylight needs to be replaced and I know the sewer vent needs resealing.

Re-reading some of the earlier posts in this thread remind me that I need to look at the rear bumper area as well.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #591
Leavingtherut.com

2005 30' Safari
Key Largo , Florida
I like the idea of a gate valve directly under the tank, would fix some clearance problems. I think I am going to install that next week. I will take some pictures.

As for raising the rig, I don't want to raise her much above stock, I believe our axels are in need of replacing as she sits much lower then she was designed, and we not near being overloaded. I think it is because the unit sat for 6 years in the lot until we bought it new 1.5 years ago. Tried to get airstream to replace axels under warranty, but so far they say they are fine..... We tow with a commercial truck and need no sway control (truck far outweighs the bunkhouse). So raising a few inches will not affect us much.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #592
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Here is are some pictures of the new Bunk Model. It is a huge improvement with more windows and you will be happy to know the plumbing is not hanging underneath any more.

To do that they have gone to a Maserator toilet so they can position the tank further forward. We have had these in some fifth wheels for a couple of years now and so far no problems.

There are a few more picutres posted here http://www.canamrv.ca/rvs/airstream/land-yacht-prototype/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Bunk Model.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	173452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Model Drain System.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	173453  

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #593
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Sewer Cam

Thanks for the sewer cam! Defintely cleans up this area.

The additional windows are great. I'll take the original kitchen however. I like the extra space with the 'L' and the double sink.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #594
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Thanks for the photos, Andrew!

I love the U-shaped dinette. They are really squeezing a lot of usability out of the 31 feet!

What is the power bed your brother referred to?
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #595
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Sorry I did not realize they posted them separately, here is the link to the Bunk Model
Airstream debuts new Land Yacht Prototype at Louisville - November 26, 2012

The power bed is in the Italian Job Prototype.

Andrew T

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #596
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey All,

We seem to have fixed the potential for plumbing disasters by moving the sewage opening closer to the rear tire (see post #306 of this thread). We also added flexibility to the system by adding rubber connections, so if the black water pipe does hit the ground coming out of parking lots, the entire manifold does not break off. 40K miles later the 90 degree elbow shows a few minor scrapes were it has hit the road surface, but otherwise is holding up as planned.

Bye,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #597
1 Rivet Member

Honolulu , Hawaii
Looking at buying a bunkhouse, anything major I should look for? Thanks in advance for your input.
EFunnyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #598
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFunnyFarm View Post
Looking at buying a bunkhouse, anything major I should look for? Thanks in advance for your input.

Specific to this model, I would start with:

- Stress cracks around the front storage locker. Can be a source of leaks,
- Leaks around the rear bumper. While not specific to this model, it is similar to other models of this era where there was no gasket / caulking right above the rear bumper. Another source of leaks.
- Recall on the refrigerator,
- Leaks from the skylights or from the sewer vent cap. A couple of us have had leaks in the skylight that resulted in water collecting in the shelf above the stove. Our shelf has gotten very soft due to the water ingress.
- Damage to the rear plumbing due to mishaps while backing, or scraping on rough roads. The plumbing hangs very low and is easy to damage.

That's all I can think of right now - I'm sure others will bring up additional items. Check out the Airstream inspection document available on the link at the right of the portal.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ist-43294.html

You can search for more details on all these items within this excellent thread. I read the entire thread from front to back before I inspected / purchased ours.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #599
1 Rivet Member

Honolulu , Hawaii
Thanks for the help. I have the inspection form. Any other issues common to the BH? Axles? Spots on walls? Corrosion?

Thanks
EFunnyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #600
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
New Flying Cloud Bunk

Looks like one of the new Flying Cloud Bunkhouse models is for sale already...

2013 - Airstream - Flying Cloud - 30FB BUNK - Travel Trailer - Dover - FL - Details

There's no price listed.

A few more photos of the Airstream in the ad - the windows are an excellent upgrade over the Safari...