RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #561
Rivet Master
 
FishByFly's Avatar

 
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 535
We have the two chair version as well. Well, had two chairs. Over the past couple of camping seasons, we have experimented with smaller chairs, folding chairs, and no chairs. After seeing the sofa configuration in the Eddie Bauer unit that folds up to the side walls, I was inspired. After our summer family trip this year, we pulled the wall cabinet over the wheel well, and built a folding sofa. I used the ED hinged leg from Airstream for the front leg. We took the small folding table and worked it into the back of new sofa. The cushions are at the upholsterer now. We are using this time to recover the dinette cushion.
__________________
FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' Safari FB - “Fly Fish Inn
2010 F250 Lariat
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #562
3 Rivet Member
 
MaxTow's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly View Post
We have the two chair version as well. Well, had two chairs. Over the past couple of camping seasons, we have experimented with smaller chairs, folding chairs, and no chairs. After seeing the sofa configuration in the Eddie Bauer unit that folds up to the side walls, I was inspired. After our summer family trip this year, we pulled the wall cabinet over the wheel well, and built a folding sofa. I used the ED hinged leg from Airstream for the front leg. We took the small folding table and worked it into the back of new sofa. The cushions are at the upholsterer now. We are using this time to recover the dinette cushion.

Sounds like an excellent modification. Photo of course would be great once complete!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #563
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 78
Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
Hi -

New member to the forum...

While I've always coveted an Airstream, I had not been including them in our search for a new trailer as we have been concentrating on bunkhouse models. And Airstream does not make a bunkhouse!

Then to my surprise I discovered that Airstream made a bunkhouse in '05 and '06. Wow - impressive layout. IMHO - a better layout then available from any other manufacturer. And I've looked at a lot of trailers!

Now concentrating on looking for an Airstream bunk. A few questions prior to examining any in the flesh...

1. Where is the spare tire (on the LS model)?
2. Where are the batteries kept?

I've read through all the postings to this tread - some very useful information on what to look for in this model.

One other question...

3. Has anybody converted a bunkhouse unit from the two chairs and pull-out table to a sofa? There are not that many units out there, so condition will be more important than the configuration. We do prefer the sofa to the chairs.
We purchased or Airstream BH with the two chairs and removed the chairs and had the sofa put in (which we prefer). Aesthetically, you can't tell it was changed. We had it done at the dealer, but if you are handy, I'm sure you could do it yourself. We also changed out our propane oven for the convection/micro which we have been very happy with, but we do not boondock very often. Every once in a while I do regret that decision, but overall it has worked out for us. We also had two additional fantastic fans put in our unit (in front bedroom and in the rear by the bunks). Other than that our LS is factory. Very, very happy and many happy miles traveled.

Good luck in your search! You will not be sorry if you find a BH that meets your needs :-)
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #564
3 Rivet Member
 
MaxTow's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
We purchased or Airstream BH with the two chairs and removed the chairs and had the sofa put in (which we prefer). Aesthetically, you can't tell it was changed. We had it done at the dealer, but if you are handy, I'm sure you could do it yourself. We also changed out our propane oven for the convection/micro which we have been very happy with, but we do not boondock very often. Every once in a while I do regret that decision, but overall it has worked out for us. We also had two additional fantastic fans put in our unit (in front bedroom and in the rear by the bunks). Other than that our LS is factory. Very, very happy and many happy miles traveled.

Good luck in your search! You will not be sorry if you find a BH that meets your needs :-)
Interesting...the lack of a microwave is also a bit of a concern. This is something that we would also be interested in modifying. We will miss the microwave from our current trailer. We spend about half our camping nights in locations without electricity. But still would prefer the microwave over the oven.

How much did the conversions cost? (PM me if you would rather...)

I think I'm handy...but my DW will need to be the final judge!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #565
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 78
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
Interesting...the lack of a microwave is also a bit of a concern. This is something that we would also be interested in modifying. We will miss the microwave from our current trailer. We spend about half our camping nights in locations without electricity. But still would prefer the microwave over the oven.

How much did the conversions cost? (PM me if you would rather...)

I think I'm handy...but my DW will need to be the final judge!
I'll be honest with you, we did it so many years ago, I really don't remember the finer details of the cost. All the modifications were done by the dealer when we took ownership of our unit in the summer of 2005. The dealer also gave us some "credit" for the old items he removed towards the new items we wanted - i.e. he kept the chairs/side table and credited some money for them towards the sofa. Same with the propane oven for the convection.

We chose the cloth sofa over the faux leather (or whatever they call it) - I want to say it was $1,000 - $1,200? and a couple hundred for the switch on the oven and the addition of the fantastic fans? We also had the door to the master bedroom replaced with a solid door at the factory. The standard way that door comes is with a mirror that is recess mounted, facing out into the "kitchen." We did not like this as the edges of the mirror when you open and close the door were banging/damaging the edges of the walls (slightly) as you open and closed the door to the bedroom because of the tight fit. So... we replaced the door without a mirror. That modification was done by the factory under warranty.

If you want a quick ballpark you can call the Airstream factory. If you do the work over the winter their prices are better than having them do the work in the summer. Honestly, we have all our work done at the Airstream factory. We have found the dealerships to be generally incompetent. We were just there this past summer for some work on our brakes.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #566
3 Rivet Member
 
MaxTow's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
If you want a quick ballpark you can call the Airstream factory.
...good idea. I'll give them a shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
Honestly, we have all our work done at the Airstream factory. We have found the dealerships to be generally incompetent. We were just there this past summer for some work on our brakes.
That's a long haul from Arizona! Unfortunate about the dealer experience. I'll need to do some more research about dealers around me.

I've owned a SOB for two years - have yet to visit a dealer for repair work - I've fixed the small things myself, even though they were technically under warranty. It would have taken longer and burned too much gas to return to the dealer.
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #567
2 Rivet Member
 
2005 30' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 78
Post Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow View Post
That's a long haul from Arizona! Unfortunate about the dealer experience. I'll need to do some more research about dealers around me.

I've owned a SOB for two years - have yet to visit a dealer for repair work - I've fixed the small things myself, even though they were technically under warranty. It would have taken longer and burned too much gas to return to the dealer.
My husband tries to do little fixes. He is pretty handy. We generally travel with our Airstream an average of 6,000 - 8,000 per year. So, yes, although it is a bit of a pain to have work done at the Airstream factory - we can work it in to our travel plans.

This summer we happened to be at an amusement park about 1 hour south of Jackson Center. Before our trip we had the bearings packed on our Airstream locally. We picked up the Airstream on Saturday night and set off on our trip on Sunday. DH thought the breaks were not right and was concerned, however, we were crossing the country to get to ME for an event so we decided we would look at the problem more closely when we got to ME. When we got to our destination and DH pulled the wheel he found out that the wires to the breaks, on both sides, were cut. That means that we drove from AZ to ME with no trailer breaks. We can only assume the problem was created at the dealer that packed the bearings since the breaks were fine before we took the Airstream in for the work. After DH fixed the wires and we headed for home. After driving a bit DH still felt the breaks were not right. Since we happened to be so close to the Airstream factory we decided to stop and have the breaks looked at by them. It turned out that the inside of the break drums were coated with grease. Again, we assume from the mechanic that packed the bearings. Airstream thought our local mechanic was careless with his greasy hands in doing the bearing job and got grease on the inside of the drums. To fix the problem Airstream had to clean off the grease inside the drums and on top of that we had to repay to have the bearings packed. Everything was fine after that for the rest of the trip home.

That is an example of the fine service we get locally.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #568
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,219
Images: 25
I see there is a bunkhouse on the Classifieds. Did not know they made them as late as 2005.

2005 Airstream Safari LS 30'10" Bunkhouse *New Jersey* - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #569
2 Rivet Member
 
a , wanderer
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 50
Here's another one that is currently listed on Craigslist.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/rvs/3235444201.html
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #570
2 Rivet Member
 
pawnguy's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Winterized my bunkhouse last night. Making surei did it correctly. Any pointers? Thanks
__________________
A Real Pawnguy... "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #571
2 Rivet Member
 
pawnguy's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnguy
Winterized my bunkhouse last night. Making surei did it correctly. Any pointers? Thanks
I guess I should go into details. I took the drain plug off the water heater. Opened up all the sinks facets and shower nozzle, stepped on toilet flush while I blew air through the outside fresh water fill and water hook up lines. After all I got was air through the lines I added RV antifreeze to all the sink traps, shower trap and toilet. I also left the drain plug out for the hot water heater. This all sound ok or should I have done more/less? Bought the trailer from people that did not do it correctly last year and we had costly repairs this year. Just want to make sure it's good to go. Thanks Mark
__________________
A Real Pawnguy... "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #572
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,219
Images: 25
On my '74, there are three "low point" drains that must be opened to all all water to drain from the plumbing. Blowing air through the system won't get the water out unless those drains are opened. I would expect that a version of those taps still exists in your trailer.

The Owners Manual should point that out if you have one...
__________________
“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #573
2 Rivet Member
 
pawnguy's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTow

Interesting...the lack of a microwave is also a bit of a concern. This is something that we would also be interested in modifying. We will miss the microwave from our current trailer. We spend about half our camping nights in locations without electricity. But still would prefer the microwave over the oven.

How much did the conversions cost? (PM me if you would rather...)

I think I'm handy...but my DW will need to be the final judge!
We have a microwave in our BH. We keep it in the steps in the rear bunk area. We just take it out when we need it. We are loving our bunkhouse. We also have the two chairs model which is great on rainy days for games or cards.
__________________
A Real Pawnguy... "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #574
2 Rivet Member
 
pawnguy's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage
On my '74, there are three "low point" drains that must be opened to all all water to drain from the plumbing. Blowing air through the system won't get the water out unless those drains are opened. I would expect that a version of those taps still exists in your trailer.

The Owners Manual should point that out if you have one...
I forgot to mention there was 2 water drains between the tires.(thinking it was the fresh water tank) there was also a white plastic on on the upper side where the two butterfly looking drain plugs were. Turned it but nothing came out and i couldn't get it turned back like it was. I added the entire gallon of antifreeze to the traps and toilet. Thought better safe then sorry.
__________________
A Real Pawnguy... "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #575
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,497
Images: 1
freeze protection

The best way, for super sure, to prevent freeze up is as follows.

1. Use a 5 HP air compressor.

2. Hook it up to the city water inlet.

3. Open the valves one at a time starting with the one closest to the city water inlet.

4. When the flow stops, go to the next valve.

5. When completed, DO IT AGAIN, just in case.

6. When satisfied that all the water has been drained, use some RV antifreeze in all the "P" traps.

Opening all the water valves at the same time, will leave water in the lines.

One at a time, GETS THE JOB DONE.

Andy
__________________
Andy Rogozinski
Inland RV Center
Corona, CA
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #576
2 Rivet Member
 
pawnguy's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Joplin , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 90
Thanks Andy and everyone for there help. Trailer is all done.
Mark
__________________
A Real Pawnguy... "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"
pawnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #577
1 Rivet Member
 
Honolulu , Hawaii
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17
Blog Entries: 1
Looking for a Bunkhouse

Anyone have a Bunkhouse for sale?

Thanks,


Justin
(801) 372-6257
EFunnyFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #578
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,219
Images: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFunnyFarm View Post
Anyone have a Bunkhouse for sale?

Thanks,


Justin
(801) 372-6257
If you really want one, try putting an ad in the Airforums Classifieds:

WANTED - Trailers (All Years) - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #579
3 Rivet Member
 
MaxTow's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Kanata , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If you really want one, try putting an ad in the Airforums Classifieds:

WANTED - Trailers (All Years) - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale

There are two for sale in the classifieds now...

And I believe there is another for sale in California:

Airstream Safari 2005 30' Bunk Beds (San Diego CA) $28000 | SpreadMyAd

Google is your friend...that's how I found mine.

Search for

Airstream safari 30
Airstream safari 30 bunk
Airstream safari bunk

etc.

You will find some some stale ads - some many years old. But there's a reward for good detective work!
MaxTow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #580
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
Andrew T's Avatar

 
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,207
There will be a new Airstream Bunk model introduced to the dealers next week. Many more windows and some tweaks to the layout. There should be pictures Tuesday.

Andrew T
__________________
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1968 Safari 22' :: 1968 Airstream Safari Darrengj Airstream Registry Discussions 1 02-09-2020 08:28 AM
New owners of a 2008 Safari Sport 22' nesvt Member Introductions 7 10-03-2011 12:35 PM
Safari :: 2006 Airstream Safari SE Mrs Silverback Airstream Registry Discussions 0 08-19-2011 09:31 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.