Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #281
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
For those of you that are chemistry-challenged, ammonia aggravates a fire, in that the ammonia will add to a fire, much as Nitrous Oxide will to an engine that has NOS injection.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #282
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'm sure this is just one of those things that happen when you go camping, but I purchased a surge protector for our Airstream after having to have the circuit board for the A/C unit replaced last year, fortunately under warranty. Friday the power to our Airstream was shut down by surge protector. I reported the outage to the campground management, but it took about an hour for the service technician to arrive. When we went out to the electrical post, the time delay timer was in the process of restarting the power (2-1/2 minute delay) so the voltage had just come back into the safe range for the surge protector to allow power to return to the trailer. The main 30 amp breaker inside the trailer had also tripped and I reset it after power was restored. Shortly after, our bathroom vent quit working. We keep this vent running 24/7 while we camp just to keep the bathroom humidity and any odors that might come back through the toilet when it's flushed out of the bathroom. I didn't think to check the fuse for the vent, but I just assumed we have worn it out.

If we have worn it out, does anyone know how hard it is to replace? Our warranty ran out May 28th so I will order a new one from a dealer and install it myself if it's not the fuse, but I'm not Norm Abrams by any stretch of the imagination.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #283
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tom, is the vent a 14" square unit? Or is it one of those small round things?
Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #284
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Sorry, it's one of the small round ones with the red on-off switch and push-up covers.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #285

Fayetteville , North Carolina
I saw a brand new one for sale

Driving north on I-95, we saw a brand spankin' new, 2005, never titled Safari 30 for sale at Don Mar RV Sales in Lynchburg, South Carolina (exit 141)...beautiful with the olive circle pattern on the dinette benches. I think they wanted 41,000...

Just thought I would share!
Sonnentag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #286
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
...If we have worn it out, does anyone know how hard it is to replace?...
m'mate

u likely have one of the current flavors of this fan...

ventline offerings...

the internals (other than the vent/lid) are available at most generic rv parts stores...

and it is easy to replace the motor or lid gearing as needed.

both fail often and they are known for lid that crumble too

really it is not a very good product, though widely used.

when the one dies in my rig, the entire contraption will be replaced with a another fantastic fan or max air...

both will fit the whole perfectly, but doing a complete vent/lid/fan install takes a little more effort.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #287
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
If we have worn it out, does anyone know how hard it is to replace?
Hi Tom,

Our round bathroom fan had a habit of leaking through the center whenever it rained, so we replaced it last February with one of the square ones that Airstream is now putting in the current crop of Classics. The swap involved enlarging the hole in the roof by a fair amount, and also reinforcing the edges of the new opening with some additional aluminum strips - probably more nerve-wracking than truly difficult. But we feel that it was worth the effort - we now have no leaks (and we just had some awesome amounts of rain the other night camped at Mark Twain Lake, MO!), and the new fan moves more air than the old round one. It used to be that the mirror in the bathroom was over halfway steamed up whenever we'd get out of the shower, and now it's usually completely clear. We had toyed with the idea of putting in another Fantastic Fan there, but ultimately decided against it, as they move air too well! (freezing when getting out of the shower is not Miriam's idea of fun).

We got the new fan at Camping World, but replaced the vent cover with one of the tough UV-resistant ones. We're really happy with it.

Paul and Miriam
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #288
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Sorry, it's one of the small round ones with the red on-off switch and push-up covers.
whoops, wrong fan link.

you must have the little round one, like the version in my 70s moho...

it worked fine, but didn't move much air.

still replacements are available if it's somewhat like theeeese one...

Van Roof Vent Fan for your Van or Motorhome

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:38 AM   #289
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Blackwater Temp repaired...

I was able to repair the blackwater line with common PVC items that came from True Value. I was able to re-use the pieces that are RV specific and adapted them to PVC. The luckiest thing here is where the flange goes on the black tank was not broken, it is actually a flexible polyurethane that requires a HD hose clamp to attach a street 90 to. If that black tank had broken we would be going public for the duration of our trip. I made the repair while at a KOA in Buena Vista.

Rich, I had the storage door removed when ours cracked about a year ago. I too have used the section forward most area for my drycell batteries. Upon a close inspection, I do not see any rivets popped or any disfiguring in the skin. Once again, I was just amazed how well the rig took a beating , even just down the forest roads. The suspension rides great even on washboard roads, granted I was only driving 5-8 mph.

I will take some pics of my repair for all to see.

Long live the bunkhouse...
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #290
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
SafariSS, I'm glad you were able to fix your issue without ruining your trip by spending time in an RV waiting room while a service technician monkeyed around with your beloved Airstream.

Yep 2air, that's the kind I have. It really doesn't move a lot of air and a larger one would be nice. I wondered when you said you would replace yours with a fantastic fan motor...I have three in my Airstream already and I didn't think there would be room for air to get by the motor shroud once it was installed. I planned to go out and measure the opening this afternoon when we go out to the Airstream and finished unpacking her.

I'm not ready to do major surgery on our roof and the nearest trusted Airstream repair shop that I know is in Tennessee some 250 miles away. I was planning on having that dealer order the motor and have it drop-shipped to my house. I think I can handle the swap out. However, there is a SOB dealer in our town that might could monkey around with it and get it in.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #291
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
COMFORT , Texas
Hey SafariSS,
You don't have to send pics of your repair for my sake 'cuz we were in Colter bay campground two nights this weekend and just happened to see a Safari BH with a different pipe setup and Tx plates...could only be one Dude...stopped by a couple times but you were probably out hiking like I was w/ the kiddos....safe journey Captdaddy
captdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #292
Safarian

2005 30' Safari
Falls Church , Virginia
That's Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr View Post
I know of another Safari 30 bunkhouse that will be coming on the market in the next 2-3 months. It's a rear twin model with couch, in Midnight Sun, and in excellent condition.
Thanks, Rich, for the foreshadowing... I just put our ad in the classifieds here. I'm sorry to have been an absentee bunk owner on the forum. We had heaps of fun in ours for the past eleven months. Our blog recounts the whole journey. Alas, our travels are coming to a (temporary) end. We are settling down again and can't keep the Safari 30. It has been the best traveling home for us. No regrets.

At any rate, I thought I'd let the forum group know. Of course, I'm happy to answer any questions.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:39 PM   #293
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Wow! At that price, I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it. I'd call!

We had this rig parked in our driveway a few months ago and I was impressed with how well they'd taken care of it. Love that ultraleather sofa!

Here's a link to the classified ad Bobby put up.

You couldn't buy from a nicer couple, either. I'm just sorry Bobby & Danine will be Airstream-less for a while. Hey you two, re-join the cult as soon as you can, OK?

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM   #294
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
1976 31' Sovereign
Falls City , Texas
Nice!

Would be on it in a minute, but found ours and are finalizing arrangements. Take ownership Weds. next week. Can't wait...!!

By the way, "Sonnentag" mentioned an available BH at Don Mar RV in So. Carolina. I called and the unit is still available. It has the 2 chairs/ table option [no couch], so it wasn't feasible for us.

"A fairly bright boy is far more intelligent and far better company than the average adult." --John B. Haldane
campw/4sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #295
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Question would you go from 25FB to a 30' Bunkhouse?

Hey,

Lookin' for opinions on this, so please share yours!

We have an '08 25FB Safari which we love, for the most part (would love the 27'FB more!), and may have an opportunity to change over to a '05 30' Bunkhouse.

The 25FB:
* layout, love the dinette in the rear window, have enjoyed lovely views from there most of the time when camping (occasionally we find ourselves looking at the back end of another AS). will really miss the rear dinette and sofa next to it (forms a nice L shaped hang out space for us)
* We do not like that we have to get son moving in morning to make up bed, get him to keep his stuff put away, generally constantly seem to be working around him or his stuff
* plumbing enclosed and heated on underside, making winter camping much more feasible (I LOVE to SKI!!!)

The Bunkhouse:
* dedicated bedroom for our teen son and any friend that comes along (this is biggest motivating factor, he is with us for another four or so years, we spend a lot of time camping in the AS, and I'm hoping to convince family to fulltime for a year BEFORE manchild leaves home
* queen bed rotated so head is at the front instead of sideways (MUCH easier to get around and make bed!)
* lots more pantry space (I LOVE to cook), though part may have to be converted to make up for loss of wardrobe that 25FB has
* bathroom in one room, not split across the hall (not sure this is a pro or a con!)
* plumbing appears to be open below, not enclosed and heated

We have a 3/4 ton diesel, so TV is no problem

Any opinions about resale 3 - 5 years down the line?

Looking forward to some opinions on this, thanks!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #296
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Bh..

Roaming Cat,

We have used our bunkhouse for almost two years now and I can say we are still in love with the layout. While your 25FB is great, I think it is perfect for a couple but maybe not a family. Before the BH came out we considered the 25 six sleeper, but the idea of having to get everyone up to have coffee or privacy etc. was not appealing. We have 4 girls and they have there own space, we have tons of storage, tons of pantry and and a great kitchen.

Really the only big variance on the BH is wether you get the table and chairs curbside or gaucho (couch). Having camped ours for a while, I think I am still impartial. With the couch you can sleep even more, but for additional eating space you need to bring TV trays. We have the table/chairs. The drawback is the chairs do go a flyin' underway, but they give a nice place to put a trashcan.

Lastly, towing...you will not even know the difference. I use a 3/4 ton suburban and I was just telling my wife I feel like I have 23 footer back there!
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #297
_

. , .
hi 'cats...

from a NON BH a/s owner, my primary issue with the unit is...

the windows.

the BH models all have the hehr windows,

seen in this post

http://www.airforums.com/forums/329209-post35.html

less ventilation would be the primary issue 4me with hehr windows,

but the 'look' of black butyl framing vs the 'riveted alum' framing is an issue for some.

rich paid to have ONE of his hehr windows replaced with the classic/international/upgraded safari window...

it's not inexpensive, but the do look nice and provide MORE fresh air.

the floor plan (if u need it) may totally offset this issue...

the BH is the ONLY front bed model, i like because the main entry/exit door is also forward

doesn't your 25 have 'shiny' interior walls?

the BH units have mouse fur and padded vinyl like the classics right?

cheers
2air'

Old 07-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #298
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Hey Roamin' Cat,

I think you and the other contributors have hit most of the high and low points of the Safari 30. I'll just toss in a couple of thoughts:

1) Unless the 2005 Safari is new or recently purchased, it won't as much warranty as the '08 you have. But you might not care about that, especially if the trailer has been debugged by the prior owner.

2) 2air is dead-on about the windows. There's reasonable light but you'll never get the openness and views that any FB model offers. You also don't get the living room effect. The trade off is of course the luxury of two full-time bedrooms.

3) You may take quite a depreciation hit, changing trailers so soon after your initial purchase.

For us, spending months at a time in the trailer, there's no alternative to the Safari 30. If you plan some longer trips, you might start to feel the same way. For weekending, I'd stick with the one you have. But if you really are going to go full-time with your son, then the Safari 30 becomes almost essential.

BTW, the tanks under the Safari 30 BH are indeed enclosed and heated just like your 25FB. Every Safari in 2005-2006 had that feature. All were heated by forced air from the furnace except the 22, which used 12-volt heaters.

-- Rich

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:57 AM   #299
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Thanks SafariSS,

Glad to see that this works great for your family! Nice to read

Having not actually been in one yet, it is hard to get a "feel" for the interior living space, despite seeing lots of pictures of several units so far. Looks like my wardrobe next to the fridge becomes a pantry in the BH, so while extra pantry will be fab, I may hurt with less wardrobe (only wear long skirts, or dresses).

I think if we had not already spent so much time in the FB, we would not miss the open feeling of spaciousness and access to the outside that it affords.

Interesting how designers often do not take into account the little things like trash cans, animal feeding stations, litter boxes, even how we do laundry or prepare meals - the stuff of every day living - in the "home" spaces they create, whether on wheels or off!

I appreciate your response, thank you, it really helps

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 07-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #300
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Yeah, the windows! We have the Hehr windows now, really like the privacy from outside, the feeling of security the small opening affords me at night or when camping alone, but even in the FB they limit airflow. Seems it might be a lot worse in the BH.

I also like the idea of a more central door, and would really prefer two!

We do not have the shiny interior due to my desire to winter camp (can't wait to see how THAT goes!), but it sure is pretty! Not at all pleased with the carpeted and padded interior, long term will have to find some other solution.

IF we need the floorplan, this is the question. Realistically, right now, we are looking at one big trip a year, probably 4 to 8 weeks in length, for the next few years. The rest are lots of four day trips within a tank or two of home, which thus far we do frequently (I'd rather be Streamin'!).

Original plan (only mine at this point, only resurged AFTER buying the AS; though with enough patience and persistance on my part my DH usually goes along with my dreams ), was for hubby and I to fulltime AFTER kiddo has gone off to his next adventure (due to health issues his timetable is flexible, but we figure he is home for another 4 - 5 years at this point).

BUT, the more I think about it, the more I want him to experience exploring this continent in a more leisurely, extended way, and thus am working on a way to make it happen in a year or two, max.

We'll see. Still prayin' 'bout all this!

Thanks, 2air', I always appreciate the feedback, food for thought, and links you offer in your posts. It is becoming a game for me to see if I have read the links you offer BEFORE you offer them - then I know I am doing my research

AIRSTREAM Life