Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #241
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Ft. Wilderness

On the fried chicken, that's a different "Tom" on this forum. I'll let him reveal himself.

We are confirmed for Ft Wilderness May 1-4, two Airstreams (one Safari bunk, hence it is relevant to this thread) and an Argosy motorhome. Look for us there! I'd be happy to show our Safari Bunkhouse upgrades to anyone from this list who is there.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #242
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I resemble that remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
On the fried chicken, that's a different "Tom" on this forum. I'll let him reveal himself...
Rich,

You should have left a clue by telling everyone to search the forum for soporific.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #243
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by R&SZinser
We were in the 500 loop and had a really nice spot.
OK, 500 is on the other side of the canal from 1400 so I guess I did see your camp site but I saw it from the main road and wasn't too sure. You were in the middle of the loop as I recall.

I know what you mean about the price of diesel. I go through a tank every 7-10 days (calendar, not business) and it now takes $100 minimum to fill my tank! We've started storing our Airstream in central Florida so we don't have to tow it down from Atlanta every trip. I figure the savings on fuel covers the annual storage fees and saves the stress on me and some, all be it little, wear and tear on the truck.

I have discovered I have the front storage compartment door leak now and I also have the cracks at the bottom corners of that same door. Maybe that's where the leaks come from? Anyway, I'm going to send a letter to Airstream re: those two items so I can get them repaired under the warranty at a dealer in FL this summer. My warranty runs out Memorial Day weekend and that is the next time we'll be going to FL so I need to get them registered before the warranty expires.

Rich, have a great time in Ft. Wilderness. Wish we could be there, too!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #244
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
Just got back from our first outing in the AS!! It was too much fun! We were the buzz of the campground! The only problem encountered was having to leave too soon. Our TV pulled it effortlessly and the Kansas cross winds didn't have any effect on us like in our old trailer! We are totally hooked!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #245
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That's great SweetStream! It's always good to hear that a new Airstream owner had a great first trip. I know you will have many more to come.

We went to the RV Show in Atlanta this weekend and all of the SOB dealers were very impressed when they heard we had an Airstream! It is an impressive thing to own when you own an Airstream!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #246
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
Help!
Anyone ever have trouble with the plumbing under the kitchen sink? Ours just blew up tonight, after I pulled the strainer basket out after doing a load of dishes? Just a couple of gallons of water, but we're wondering if we need to check all the connections after arriving at each camp? We'll call AS in the morning, but wondered if this was something we need to be conscious of from now on. I am also wondering about doing dishes in the sink. The dealer who got it ready for us made it sound like absolutely NO food should go down the drain. But the bottle of green stuff we got for the black tank, also says it can be used to break down food too. So, just wondering what everyone else's experience was? Otherwise the rest of the trip was fantastic. Amazing country and fun to travel in style! Now we are hooked up at a KOA in Charleston for about 7 more days, till we head down to Fort Wilderness.
Rich- we will take you up on that offer! If you have time. We would love to see how you guys are really doing it. We'll look for you guys!
Looking forward to any words of wisdom.
Thanks everyone.

Krista
FORTSTANLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #247
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Krista, not sure what you mean by "blew up" but I assume you meant the pipes started leaking.

We wash dishes in our kitchen sink all the time but always scrap any food into the trash can first. If you have a clogged drain, I'd try letting the "green stuff" set in the pipe for a while. I don't know if you can use a liquid pipe de-clogger like Liquid Plumber in the gray tank or not. Some one else will have to chime in on that.

Good luck with the pipe issue and you will really enjoy Ft. Wilderness. Be sure and check out the camp fire sing-a-long and outdoor movie.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #248
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I experienced a leak under my sink last spring - The repair was a simple twist of the fittings by hand to tighten them up. I suspect that the factory did not do a full crank on them during production. I do an occasion check, but since then they have not loosened. At the same time, I did a double check on the bathroom trap and it was tight.

However if your sink is clogged, you can simply remove the trap and clean it out by hand. Just don’t rinse it out in your kitchen sink

Separately, the rear outside plumbing that I had hit last year, and then hit it again this past January while driving a riverbed to a great boondock site, is getting repaired this spring. Cost - $470. Ouch!

Rick
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 PM   #249
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
plumbing

Sorry- I should have been more specific about the blowing up. It was the pipe connections- just like Rick mentioned. They either didn't get tightened at the dealer or they jiggled loose and the pressure from a sink full of water just blew it open. We got it cleaned up and blasted the furnace and opened the windows to try and dry everything up. We called Airstream and they noted it, but the service guy didn't sound too concerned. Anyway, so far everything else seems fine. We're still figuring it out. I'm ready to move on. Can't wait to get to Ft. Wilderness, it's all our daughter has been talking about!
Tom- we are totally going to check out the sing-a-long! Thanks for the tips!
Krista
Old 04-28-2008, 11:03 AM   #250
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Krista,

We have found that the hand-tight fittings on the plumbing under the sink loosen up because of vibration. Invariably, whenever I remember to check the fittings they need to be tightened by half a turn. The first time I checked the fittings, after my wife had noticed a puddle when taking out the garbage, I had to tighten them by 2-3 full turns. The fittings under the sink in the bathroom do the same thing. You should check to be sure that the pipes from the kitchen sink are not under too much stress because of misalignment. I'm thinking now that maybe we should use some sort of "Locktight" compound on the treads of the fittings to stop them from loosening. Anybody have any ideas on what type of compound should be used?

Bye,
Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #251
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
I guess we'll just put that on our list of things to do when we stop. But maybe there is some type of compound that could be used to hold it in place. I understand the need for flexing during travel, but it shouldn't be happening right?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM   #252
1 Rivet Member

2006 30' Safari
FORT COLLINS , Colorado
Hey Minnies Mate-
Got some Georgia questions for you, if you don't mind. Or anyone else whose been down this way. We are heading to Orlando shortly from Charleston, and there are a couple of places about 1/2 way- Jekyll Island or St. Marys. Both sound very interesting and wondered if you had any personal experience at either place. Thanks!
Krista
Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #253
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Any body know if plumber's putty or silicone tape would work?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #254
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Any body know if plumber's putty or silicone tape would work?
most plumber's putty should not be used on plastic. the oil in the putty breaks down the plastic over time.

I had the same leak problems when I first purchased my BH. must have been a sleepy line worker.. the nylon compression fitting ring was just stuffed in the pipe sideways and the pipes under the sink were screwed together loose.. it was an easy fix and haven't had a problem since...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #255
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Our experience has been like Rick's: once a small leak, and since being tightened it has never happened again. We've towed close to 60k miles at this point.

Krista, don't get paranoid about what the dealer said. Crumbs of food down the drain are not a problem. You can do your dishes without fear. Just don't dump large quantities of food down the drain like you might with a household "Insinkerator" disposal unit.

In any case, a little enzyme-type ("green" or "formaldehyde free") black tank chemical down the sinks once in a while is a good idea -- it helps digest any food particles that get into the gray tank.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 AM   #256
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Digest-it was recommended to us by a fellow camper. It is difficult to find, though. But I was told we should put it in the black tank and in the gray as well to break down grease.

Also, I was told that if you hook up to sewer and leave gray valve open, the grease will coat the bottom of the tank and create problems. Not sure about that piece of advise, though. Seems the grease would either coat the bottom or coat the sides a la bath tub ring. If you put the enzyme type treatment in there with a little gray water and travel with it for a while, the enzyme will get stirred around evenly, or at least will swim around to all parts of the tank submerged in the water and eat away at whatever is in there. I generally try to leave a few gallons in the gray tank for this purpose and to keep the seals from drying out.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #257
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
WARNING: Do not read while eating!

Our experience has supported that theory about problems resulting when the gray valve is left open. For two years we closed the gray valve and only used it for dumping. This left the pipe pretty clean after dumping.

Then we stopped for three months and lived in the Airstream with the gray valve mostly left open. A disgusting slime mat built up in the dump pipe and hose. (The slime mat is a layer of bacteria that is feeding on organic material.)

We have been using enzyme-based tank chemicals to encourage the breakdown of this mat, and have resumed our practice of closing the gray valve except to dump, but progress has been slow. After a month of use, the pipe is just now coming clean again.

There's no question in my mind that prevention is far better than cure in this case. I agree with the advice to leave the gray valve closed rather than letting it run for long periods of time, and to keep some chemical/water mix in the tanks to help organic material break down inside them when the trailer is stored.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #258
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTSTANLEY
Hey Minnies Mate-
Got some Georgia questions for you, if you don't mind. Or anyone else whose been down this way. We are heading to Orlando shortly from Charleston, and there are a couple of places about 1/2 way- Jekyll Island or St. Marys. Both sound very interesting and wondered if you had any personal experience at either place. Thanks!
Krista
Jekyll Island is a beautiful and quaint little island full of rich, and I do mean rich, history. It is one of Georgia's five Golden Isles.

The island was purchased in the late 19th century as a private retreat for America's wealthiest upper crust to escape the New England winters. While most of the members of the exclusive Jekyll Island Club stayed in the main lodge during their stay, several members built beautiful "cottages" on the mainland side of the island in what is called "millionaire's village". Such cottage owners were the Macy's, the original owners of the dept. stores, the Van der Bilts, the Astors, the Pullitzers, the Firestones, and the Cranes (of Crane bathroom fixtures), and others. These Victorian jewels are open to the public for a small tour fee for self-guided tours. The main lodge is now a luxury hotel in the Westin chain, I believe.

Most of the cottages (mansions by today's standards) have been fully restored. One of the most spectacular restorations is the chapel with its dark stained Victorian/Gothic revival interior and stunning stained glass window. Try to visit it in the morning as the window deliberately faces east and is simply gorgeous with the sunlight streaming through. The very first transatlantic telephone call was made from Jekyll Island in the early 1900's.

The state recently completed a wonderful suspension bridge to Jekyll Island that is work of art in itself. The design has one awards and has been featured in many commercials and movies because of its design.

The island was purchased by the State of Georgia shortly after WWII. There were German U-boat sightings and more than one ship torpedoed off the shore of the island during the War and the members no longer felt safe so participation dwindled so the club closed and sold the island to the State with certain provisos. While there are a number of homes on the island, none are built on private property; they are all built on leased land. There are only a few lodging options and one campground as I recall on the island but a number of restaurants and two or three golf courses. Because of the State's tight building regulations (at least until now) nearly all of the beaches are pristine and undeveloped. They are as they always have been. Unfortunately, the State is planning to open the entire island up for redevelopment that will end its current state of natural appeal.

I am less familiar with St. Mary's. I know that St. Mary's is experiencing quite a renaissance recently with wonderful salt-marsh developments and new golf courses and is becoming not only a tourist destination for the golf and access to both the inter-coastal waterway and direct access to the Atlantic, but as a vacation home resort as well. There is a Naval Base with one of America's main submarine bases on-site and there are lots of deep-sea fishing opportunities as well.

Of the two, I would highly recommend Jekyll Island for the history, natural beauty, and tranquility. The only caveat I can add is that there can be tons of mosquito's at certain times of the year (other times not) and 30 years ago, the shrimp boats often came too close to shore and would stir up the bottom of the ocean floor and cause the water to be murky on the windward side of the island. Not a place for snorkeling, but a nice beach for sun bathing.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #259
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Could be just about anywhere , Missouri
I've been trying to win this one for months....

rluhr says
A disgusting slime mat built up in the dump pipe and hose. (The slime mat is a layer of bacteria that is feeding on organic material.)

........ After a month of use, the pipe is just now coming clean again.

There's no question in my mind that prevention is far better than cure in this case. I agree with the advice to leave the gray valve closed rather than letting it run for long periods of time, and to keep some chemical/water mix in the tanks to help organic material break down inside them when the trailer is stored.[/quote]

Rick,

I also full time in my BH. I could not agree more. I believe grey water
tank management is every bit as important as black water. Chemicals
and flushing vs bribbling is key to overall grey water disposal.

I've been having this ongoing debate with another fulltimer in a 34 foot
with a slide out- ha. That is about all you need to know.

Well except he loves to shower in the trailer every night and gets
bothered by the need to go outside and flush the grey tank. I on the
other hand will take advantage of any provided facilities and leave the
grey water management to the park.

Chrispy
chrispy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #260
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Crack / front leak fix

We finally brought our Safari into Colonial Airstream to have the leak repaired on our front compartment. When we tow in wet conditions, water gets into the front compartment, due to the compartment door being mis-aligned. While we were at it, we asked the service guys to look at the issue of the small cracks coming from the lower corners of the door.

The fix was to remove the compartment door, re-attach it a bit straighter than it was originally made, add reinforcing aluminum behind the lower corners, re-rivet, re-caulk, and adjust the gasket. So we still have our compartment door for use, and with luck it will no longer admit water when we tow.

The cracks have not changed much in the past year, despite another 20k miles of towing. One terminated at the lower edge of the aluminum sheet, so it had nowhere to go. The other angled off about 45 degrees but had stopped getting longer. They stop-drilled it, and inserted a rivet for good measure.

We also had found in the last six months that several of the lower rivets along the bottom of the compartment door (below the hinge) had broken. I talked to people at AS about this and their theory is that hard scrapes on the rear end of the trailer transmit force to those front rivets and break them. This is plausible to me, since we hit a bump coming out of a California gas station last December, and the force of the scrape was enough to turn the rear scraper bars into U-shapes. Prior to that event, none of the front rivet had broken.

Just FYI to those concerned about leaks, broken rivets, or cracking on their Safari 30. I've come to no permanent conclusions about this phenomenon but will continue to monitor the situation (and my "incidents" when towing that might contribute to future problems). In the meantime, I'm just happy the leak might be fixed!