RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 AM   #181
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
...we had a new inner spring mattress made. It has a pillow top and was made to the dimensions listed in the specification of the Airstream web site.
Question about the bed. The new bed we had made is way heavier than the original. The two struts that came with the platform aren't strong enough to give adequate lifting aide for my wife to lift the bed and I, too, have difficulty. Would adding an additional strut, or two, be the right way to go, or would replacing the two that came with the bed platform with stronger ones be better? Where would I get matching struts to the ones we have (Camping World ?) and how could I make sure they wouldn't bind once installed...I've never installed anything like that so I'm pretty much an idiot at something like this.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 AM   #182
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
MM, you can get a wide variety of struts at an auto parts store. I'd probably just replace the two struts you have rather than try to rig up a third one. Take one into the auto parts store to match the size and see if they have a stiffer one.

RossFam, we wore out our Marathons at 30,000 miles and never had a failure. (We did lose one to a drywall screw and another when we had lug nut failure, but those were not failures of the tires.) We're now running three Marathons and one Tire King without any trouble so far (about 15,000 miles).

I don't have a theory on why some people have repeated tire failures and others don't. All I can say is that we are scrupulous about the following:

1) Inflating to at least 60 psi & checking pressure every two weeks.
2) Weighing the trailer every six months at CAT scale and ensuring we are well below GWVR (typically by 800-1000 lbs)
3) Inspecting tires before every tow, for nicks, cuts, scrapes, foreign objects, and abnormal wear (which might indicate a mis-aligned axle).
4) Balancing the tire/wheel assembly and using Centramatic wheel balancers.
5) Keeping the highway speed down. We rarely exceed 70 MPH.
6) Doing a daily dance around the trailer to the Tire Gods.

Maybe these things make a difference, and maybe not. I can't say, but I'm grateful that so far we have had excellent luck with our tires. Good luck!

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #183
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
RossFam, we wore out our Marathons at 30,000 miles and never had a failure. (We did lose one to a drywall screw and another when we had lug nut failure, but those were not failures of the tires.) We're now running three Marathons and one Tire King without any trouble so far (about 15,000 miles).
Hi Rich,

I agree that tire manufactures should not be responsible for foreign object damage, or for that matter tires compromised by hitting 3 inch deep potholes in the road surface. However, we can now document 4 out 5 Marathons failing in the time that we have owned our trailer (see our thread in tires). All failures have been tread separation. I'm meticulous (my wife uses another word, which refers to an orifice) about tire inspection and maintenance, and maybe that is the reason why we have not experienced a blowout. The last series of separations occurred on our why back from Washington D.C. to North Carolina. We choose I-95 for our trek rather than I-81, which may have contributed to the Marathons' demise. Our trip that day occurred as the air temp reached 95 degrees. The road temp was blistering, I'm sure. If we would have taken I-81 at higher elevations and lower road temp, or slowed our travel down to 45 mph on I-95, I may not be posting now. So I guess what I am advocating is the you add to your list #7, which is that on hot days you must take more Marathon friendly paths, or slow to a snails pace for tire safety. I decided to follow choice #8 on my list, which is to ditch the Marathons. BTW, which compass direction do you face while dancing; I prefer south, which may explain my situation.

Happy trails,

Paul
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #184
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
MM, you can get a wide variety of struts at an auto parts store. I'd probably just replace the two struts you have rather than try to rig up a third one. Take one into the auto parts store to match the size and see if they have a stiffer one.
Thanks Rich, I'll have to take one off this weekend and see if I can locate a stiffer one. Do they put the rating on the strut somewhere?

Also, I have read that some folks strike the side of their tire with a tire iron when they stop at rest stops as a check to make sure they are OK. Why or what are they checking for? Or are they just trying to beat them into submission?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 07-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #185
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Marathon Tires

Minnie's Mate
Thumping a tire to check inflation is an accepted method in the trucking industry,but it does take experience,a tire that looks properly inflated can be as much as 25 pounds under inflated but by thumping will sound different from the others.
I recently had a small tree branch poke thru my sidewall when I made a turn.Tire had been properly inflated(65psi).
Doesn't give me much confidence in tires construction.
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #186
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pintoman
I recently had a small tree branch poke thru my sidewall when I made a turn.Tire had been properly inflated(65psi).
Doesn't give me much confidence in tires construction.
Gee, I knew it was easy to slit a tire but that is ridiculous.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #187
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
5200 miles and we have front compartment cracks

We returned from our latest trip to Wisconsin (round trip 2400 miles) and sure enough, our trailer developed the cracks stemming from the front storage compartment. We currently have a little over 6000 miles on the trailer. The trip itself was great! We stayed at my mom's and she had a 30 amp plug put in for us to use.

We did weigh the trailer on the way up, to verify how much air to put in the tires. Based on the weight, we kept the tires at 60 PSI and didn't have any problems.

I guess now we need to contact Jackson Center and try and schedule an appointment to get the cracks repaired.
R&SZinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #188
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I neglected to check the air in the tires last year (our first summer of use) because our dealer had been so great with prepping ever thing else. I just took it for granted that the tire pressure was spot on too. Before starting this season I checked the tire pressure and discovered that there was 48-50 PSI in all of the tires. Since it was so close in all of them, I assume that they all started out at that or pretty close to it. I had the air pressure increased to the max of 65 PSI per the rating on the side of the tires since I have a tendency to tow faster than 65 MPH.

My concern now is that the first year of the warranty the tires were low in pressure and cushioned the trailer preventing the cracks from appearing and now that the pressure is higher and there is less flex in the side wall of the tire, the ride will be harder and may cause the cracks to appear next season when the warranty has expired.

Given the nature of the cracks and the fact that nearly every 30' Safari has had this problem occur, why hasn't Airstream had a recall? Have they ever recalled a trailer line/model? Are they just afraid to admit they made a design error?
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-06-2007, 10:23 AM   #189
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Thoughts on cracking ...

We'll be in Jackson Center for service in September, but I am not sure if I'm going to have anything done about the cracks. They have not changed since we initially discovered them about 20,000 miles ago. They are about 1" long and haven't widened. So I'm wondering if a repair would be worse than the problem.

However, our front compartment does leak when we tow in the rain and I'd like to get that fixed. It may be that we can resolve both issues at the same time.

As full-timers, it's not a great option for us to have the trailer in the shop for multi-day projects. We can drop it off, but then we are stuck in a hotel or a on friend's couch until it is done. So we always think twice before committing to big jobs on the trailer.

The question in my mind is: Do the cracks represent a structural issue that, if ignored, will be more serious -- or are the skin cracks simply a cosmetic reflection of normal flexing in the trailer? No one seems to know for certain, and it is possible we won't know for until the entire batch of trailers has had many years of use.

We'll probably find out first. Our Safari bunkhouse has about 44,000 miles on it at this point. So far we've noted no other "smoking guns" in the structure, and the trailer shows no sign of falling apart. We haven't popped a rivet yet, it doesn't leak (we've tested it), and there is no unusual wear on body or frame visible. Still, I'll be keeping a close eye on this issue. Our warranty expires in a few months ...

Old 08-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Outdoor sound system

The one thing that wasn’t complete was the outside sound system. I know that others have had some issues so I hope that I can get some advice.

I got two speakers and speaker wires in a box. I was told they connects to a four pin plug just behinfd the curb side rear wheel. (it looks like a four pin trailer plug.) (I have photos and can't figure how to post.)

How does one wire this up?

Please help...
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #191
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Wiring the outdoor speakers

It's pretty easy. Plug the round connectors into the speakers, one red and one black into each speaker. I don't have mine right here to check, but I believe there's some indication on the speakers as to which plug takes red and which takes black.

Plug the flat 4-pin trailer plug into the connector on the trailer, which is right behind the axle on the gray banana wrap, as you indicated. This can be a very tight fit, requiring lots of wiggling and pushing on the plug.

Inside the trailer, find the rotary "Speaker Select switch" underneath the cabinet that houses the JVC stereo. It's a white plate with a black knob. Turn it to either "Out" or "Both". Turn on the stereo and you should hear music outside.

After a year of hauling around that enormous box that houses the two speakers, I finally left it behind in storage. It was too much of a pain to set up, took up too much space that I needed for other things, and the jack plugs kept unscrewing and disappearing in the storage compartment. We hardly ever used the outside speakers anyway.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:

\\ MASSIVE SNIP //

We haven't popped a rivet yet, it doesn't leak (we've tested it), and there is no unusual wear on body or frame visible. Still, I'll be keeping a close eye on this issue. Our warranty expires in a few months ...
i'm with you; gosh forbid we shouldn't extract every once of life outa the bauxite love shacks we hold so dear to our hearts...

overly dressed,

kevin

1001 the new 501
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Wiring the outdoor speakers

Thanks for the info about the switch inside. My efforts would have been extremely challenged without this bit of info.

I made a visit to Pep Boys today and came to the conclusion at a trailer four pin plug was what Airstream had envisioned. Wasn't what I had expected. I just stubbled on this. I guess if you build trailers, using parts on hand would be logical.

As for the speaker connection, I then went to Radio Shack. The clerk there had no clue what to suggest. I found "banana clips' that will make quick connections into the speakers. No need to worry about the screw-in wires. Now just plug-in and go.

Now the question is how to wire the speakers. Any suggestion or is this just trial and error? Mathematically, there aren't that many combinations with four wires.

I do have some smaller speakers that may become our replacements. I must have some outdoor music. I hav two daughters that dance. Outside causes less shacking ofthe trailer.

2017 25' Safari FB - “Fly Fish Inn”
2010 F250 Lariat
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM   #194
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Any body know if the wires are installed for the exterior speakers if you don't have the outside speaker option? I have been told they are there and you just need to drill the hole in the banana wrap and get a set of speakers and plug the wires into the back of the stereo head. I do have extra wires located in the back of the stereo head that aren't connected and an extra pair of "out" ports in the rear of the head unit.

I have set up a port for my IPod and wouldn't mind being able to listen to it outside, but really don't have an interest other than that for music out doors.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Questions

For you Bunkhouse owners, we have two questions tonight.

Mine: where is the water pump access? I've read the manual but not sure what they ar saying....

Wife: where doesone locate the kitchen trash? We previously had a small bag holder on the inside door under the sink. This unit doesn't seem to allow for that. Suggestions?

2010 F250 Lariat
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Speakers

I was able to get my speakers wired tonight. The disappointment is similar to what others have said here previously. Itseems that the speakrs are wired incorrectly. When i switch to adjust between inside/out and both, the speakers mid-ship stay on in all positons. I hope that i can fix this by pulling the radio and swithing connections there. Has anyone resolved this by doing so?

2010 F250 Lariat
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 AM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
where is the water pump access? I've read the manual but not sure what they ar saying....
Access to the water pump is underneath the set of drawers to the left of the oven. I usually pull the bottom 3 drawers out so I can see what I'm doing w/o having to lay on the floor.
There is a heating duct that crosses in between you and the pump, but it's got enough slack to pull aside w/o any problems.

The pump inlet (from the fresh water tank) is on your left, the outlet (to trailer plumbing) is directly behind the pump (at least on mine).
Old 08-11-2007, 06:49 AM   #198
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
I was able to get my speakers wired tonight. The disappointment is similar to what others have said here previously. Itseems that the speakrs are wired incorrectly. When i switch to adjust between inside/out and both, the speakers mid-ship stay on in all positons. I hope that i can fix this by pulling the radio and swithing connections there. Has anyone resolved this by doing so?
I've fixed the speaker / stereo wiring in our trailer - was a bit of trial & error. You have to do some re-wiring of the speaker outputs from the stereo. I posted our solution in the Audio / Video & TV Forum:
link here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...deo-30284.html

I'll swing by the trailer and let you know how the wiring from the outside plug is configured.

Let me know if the thread above helps.

We use our outdoor speakers frequently. We're considerate if at a campground w/ very narrow spots, but we enjoy some back ground music while sitting outside. Setting up the speakers is usually Sarah's responsibility, most often right after setting up the rope lights
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #199
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Yorktown , Virginia
Quote:
For you Bunkhouse owners, we have two questions tonight.

Wife: where doesone locate the kitchen trash? We previously had a small bag holder on the inside door under the sink. This unit doesn't seem to allow for that. Suggestions?
We bought a small plastic trash can that just fits under the sink. It is plastic and has notches on both of the short sides. These notches allow you to use the plastic bags that you get at the grocery, Wal-Mart, etc. It just slides straight in, not much wiggle room, but it does fit. We bought ours at The Container Store, but I think I have seen them at Home Depot. Here is a link to The Container Store.
The Container Store > Shop Kitchen > Grocery Bag Trash Can

I tried to post the picture, but I guess we are maxed out on images we can post. Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #200
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
We don't have the exterior speakers so I can't help you on that one.

We have a tall stainless steel, semi-circular, kitchen trash can that sits just inside the door beneath the white board and coat hooks. I don't like the location because it is terribly inconvenient and I don't like it being the first thing you see when you open the door, but my wife wanted a big trash can and, to be truthful, be need it. In a weekend we can just about fill it. Being stainless steel, at least it isn't too unsightly.

We, too, have the sofa option and there really isn't a good place for one. I asked Roy if there was room in the corner behind the swivel chairs, but he said there really wasn't. I have often wondered where Airstream designers expected us to put the trash can. Come to think of it, I don't really remember seeing a floor plan that has a good place for one.
WBCCI# 4821