Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2005, 07:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Safari 22'

After considerable research and looking, my wife and I thought the Land Yacht 30 foot motor home would be just right for us. A year of use proved us wrong. It was too much room and space for us. We looked at envy when our fellow WBCCI friends unhooked their trailers and had the flexibility of moving out with one motor.
While we like the 25 foot International and the new Safari Special Edition, they roughly have the same space as we had with our motorhome. The Bambi 19 is just a little too small, but the Safari 22 looks about right, with the same size bed as in the 25s and more counter space.
I'd really appreciate any comments from Safari 22 owners or anyone else willing to offer an opinion.
Bob
WBCCI #3042
ricksre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

John Irwin, who posts under the name "Pahaska" had a 2002 model. At the time they were called the "International AS". See the thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...read.php?t=596
for his experience. Plenty of reading there, but if that is not enough do a seach under his name.

Mark
Old 02-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Wow! A busy string. It DOES seem like the same floorplan in the current 22' Safari. It appears he spends more time working on it than I did years ago on an all wood boat. I had NO problems at all with my '95 Land Yacht motorhome. No matter what Airstream trailer I buy, it appears I need to spend at least a day at the dealership inspecting everything on the rig.
ricksre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Keep in mind that, in the end, despite all the modifications, including the awesome dinette to loveseat conversion, John found the 22' too small for two people and traded up to a Classic with the 25W floorplan. This floorplan is also available in the Safari.

The 25W floorplan has been around awhile and is, IMHO, the ideal setup for two people vacationing, especially those frequently using State Parks or boondocking where its 26' length is about the max you can fit in many sites. There's no sacrifice of queen bed width. One spouse doesn't have to crawl over the other to get up at night, and it's easier to make up than a corner bed. Twin beds are also an option in the 25W.

It has a real bathroom on the side. No showering in a phone booth with the toilet and sink to try to keep dry (wet bath).

There's a big sofa across the front, with a credenza for TV located at a good viewing angle. The depth of view from the forward couch is looking the length of the trailer, giving a greater feeling of spaciousness. The fold-out table only takes up space when needed for dining, etc.

Before deciding, spend some time in both.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Road--For the same reasones you mention here we just upgraded from a 16 CCD to a 25'classic. I agree the lay out gives a feeling of spaciousness.--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The 25' has good use of space. One thing I would note is that whatever coach you get, chop about 3' off the number and that will be your useable interior space. So 22' would be 19' of interior space, 25' (which is 25' 11' I think) would be 22' and some change... and so on up and down the food chain.

When we went to upgrade from the 19' Bambi, we looked at the 22'. Nice coach, but still for us a bit too cramped. The 25' (though ours is a Safari not a Classic), does have a nice amount of space for 2 or 3 people. Four or 5 if three are youngins. Two things I didn't care for about the 22' was the electric tank heaters and one battery..this might have changed, I'm not sure. Other three things I didn't care for were the front bedroom, the wheel well taking 1/4 to near 1/2 the floor space under the dinette and the wet bath. Now I know some folks have 22's and love 'em, I'm just sharing what our take was.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Silver ---Like you, nothing against the 22's if they work for you but for the same reasons you mention we went on to the 25. One battery was marginal without the tank heaters.-----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote