RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
New 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse!

We towed it home last week. We were told it was the last new bunkhouse in the US. I don't think any were shipped overseas, so it would be the last one in the World!

My family was camping this past spring in our 29' '88 Excella when it became very obvious that my two children were out growing the gaucho setup. My wife gave me the green light to look for another option with one stipulation. I had to sell our trailer before buying a replacement.

I started my search. Yes, we considered the less expensive SOBs and just didnít feel comfortable that these were going to last long. We had seen an Airstream bunkhouse a couple of years ago on a dealerís lot. I truly expected that finding another Airstream bunkhouse was going to be difficult but I would try anyway. When I began my search, I quickly found that Roger Williams Airstream still had one on their lot. Weatherford, Texas isnít that far from us in Central Texas so it seemed to be karma.

However, I still had my Excella and my tow vehicle wasnít adequate for the newer, wider, longer, and heavier trailer. Now my wife increased her stipulations. I had to sell the first trailer, then my truck, buy a new truck and then I could get the bunkhouse.

We found a great buyer for our well-loved Excella. This was a couple that wanted to get into Airstreaming as they were approaching retirement. It was hard to depart with the trailer, but this couple seemed to be the right fit. Next came putting my F150 on the market. (By the way, see the classified ads. It is still available for sale. I now need to move this as Iím out of order as far as my wifeís requirements. Iíve gotten a little reprieve from her with the glow of a new trailer. But she can see the reflection of my F150 in the aluminum. ) While trying to sell my truck, a great opportunity came along on a used 2007 F250. I grabbed it while finalizing my plans to pickup the Safari.

Prior to making a trip out to see the Bunkhouse that David Tidmore had on the lot, I reviewed all the comments on this forum about the problems other owners were having. I went prepared to look for those major items. Thank you for all the most helpful input information as it was a great guide. One of the first things I noticed was that this trailer had developed the tears (cracks as some refer to them) at the corners of the front storage compartment. David spoke to the factory and they performed a full repair that included making the access door the full width of the compartment and the door goes from frame to frame.

To conclude this four month story, we now have our new accommodations. The folks at Roger Williams Airstream, specifically David Tidmore, were very helpful. This shop does great things to Airstreams. The trailer was all prepared as we had a few ďmodificationsĒ made that included an additional Fantastic Fan, hydraulic brakes, and a convection/microwave. If you are in the Fort Worth area, it is worth a stop to speak with them.

I figured with all the recent changes, a new user name was needed. I have gone from FlyFishInn to FishByFly. I think the bunkhouse will now be the InnÖ
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
It was reported here on the forums that the last new 30' bunkhouse was just sold. So you may have the last one.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the Club! See the thread on 30' Bunkhouses here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html
You might get some ideas for some more custom modifications or some issues you weren't aware of.

I don't know if our dealer did an especially good job of prepping our trailer or if the QA at Airstream got better over time, but we have been blessed to have not had the problems other Airstream owners (30' Bunkhouse and others) have encountered with their units. Good luck with your new Airstream and enjoy many camping trips in the future.

BTW, how far are you from Destin, FL. There will be a forums rally there the first weekend after New Year's to kick off the camping season and we will be there. From Atlanta it is about 6-7 hours. Maybe you can make it, too. I don't think we'll be the only 30' Bunk there.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Congratulations!

Glad you found it. It sounds perfect for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
BTW, how far are you from Destin, FL. There will be a forums rally there the first weekend after New Year's to kick off the camping season and we will be there. From Atlanta it is about 6-7 hours. Maybe you can make it, too.
I'm not sure of the total distance but it was 1,004 miles from my yard near Wimberley to the Florida welcome center on I10. Still might make a good maiden voyage, if you can hold out that long.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Glad you found it. It sounds perfect for you.

I'm not sure of the total distance but it was 1,004 miles from my yard near Wimberley to the Florida welcome center on I10. Still might make a good maiden voyage, if you can hold out that long.

Vaughan
Texas is a BIG state!
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Texas is a BIG state!
That it is. The trip also includes the wide part of Louisana.

Vaughan
Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Maiden Trip

Our maiden trip is going to be to South Padre. Itwill most likely be justafter school starts. Smaller crowds. The kids want to visit Schittetterbahn. Of the three, we like this park most.

Minnie's Mate, I really appreciate the invitation. We like Destin. We visited there more often when we lived in Tennessee. I don't think we will make that event in January. However, we have plans to make Disney in the near future.
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishByFly
However, we have plans to make Disney in the near future.
As you can tell by my alias and by my signature line, we always have plans to make Disney in the near future!

I've considered planning a forums rally to Ft. Wilderness, but not sure how many people would be interested in going or for how long. My wife's a teacher so it'd have to be over one of the school breaks (too crowded/expensive) or during the summer months (too hot). Been there both types of breaks.

Enjoy South Padre. One day we'll have to make a detour on our way to the Grand Canyon.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-07-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Fort Wilderness would be a great place for a forums rally.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
As you can tell by my alias and by my signature line, we always have plans to make Disney in the near future!

I've considered planning a forums rally to Ft. Wilderness, but not sure how many people would be interested in going or for how long. My wife's a teacher so it'd have to be over one of the school breaks (too crowded/expensive) or during the summer months (too hot). Been there both types of breaks.

Enjoy South Padre. One day we'll have to make a detour on our way to the Grand Canyon.
I'm in for a FW rally anytime - put me on the wish list.

Mike and Tina
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
That it is. The trip also includes the wide part of Louisana.

Vaughan
And the narrow part of Mississippi........
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Congrats FishByFly! I'll bet the Guadeloupe is recharged from recent rains. Schlitterbahn is a way cool family destination!

Enjoy the fresh shrimp on South Padre! (fyi for non-Texans: many bait shop/gas stations have fresh shrimp for sale) I'm long past my days of driving on the beach and tenting -- of course that area now is covered with condos.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
And the narrow part of Mississippi........
Very, Bama too.

Vaughan
Old 08-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I think it's sad Airstream gave this up -- what a great floorplan for many folks and certainly unique to A/S's long history.
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
I think it's sad Airstream gave this up -- what a great floorplan for many folks and certainly unique to A/S's long history.
Yep, Airstream's only two bedroom model and their first front bedroom plan, too.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

I have never even heard of a Bunkhouse

Is that a nick name? I would love to see the floor plan
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
2005 Airstream bunkhouse

I am interested in buying an Airstream but did not see any bunk bed models on the Airstream web site. Then I found this forum and also found a used 2005 30' bunkhouse model for sale for $41,000. I would like any advice as to whether this trailer looks like a good fit/buy for a 4 person family (2 children under 4). The unit for sale is at New Airstream Trailers | Cheap Travel Trailer | Ohio RV Dealer | Airstreams Motor Home | Used Mobile Campers. Thanks in advance.
jsgravely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:48 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forums jsgravely. The reason there are no 30' bunk bed models on the Airstream web site is that Airstream only made this model for two years from 2005 to 2006. We purchased a 2006 model in May of 2006 and love it. I have a now 10 year old son (bottom bunk) and a now 7 year old son (top bunk) plus my wife and a cocker spaniel and we average at least one weekend trip per month.

We find this to be a great fit for our family. Our unit has the sofa and microwave/convection oven. This would allow us the opportunity to sleep a total of eight, but that would be a tight fit. We had our dealer install two additional fantastic fans and awnings on the end and road side. We have been really delighted with the quality and service we have with our unit. There have been some who have had numerous quality issues with the various models, but we feel blessed that ours had virtually none of the issues we have read about from others.

There is a thread devoted specifically to this particular model at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html

$41,000 is too high for a 2005 model. New that trailer listed for $55,000-$60,000 depending on options with the high end being for the LS model. New Airstreams typically sell for about 15-20% below MSRP so new it would sell for $44,000-$51,000 plus sales taxes on each price point. Subtract an additional 20% for the first year's depreciation and an additional 10% for each of the next two years depreciation and you will come to a closer price range for the value at its current age. Remember, we are in the middle of the 2008 Airstream model year so this trailer is considered three years old already.

In my opinion, this is the most family friendly floor plan that Airstream has ever produced. I think the high price and overall size made it less popular with families than it should have. Most families with small children can't afford or don't want to spend this much for a weekend travel trailer that will only get used for one or two week long trip per year and they don't want a 3/4 ton SUV or truck as a daily driver and can't afford one as a dedicated tow vehicle sitting in their drive way idle most of the year.

We use ours often and enjoy it every time we use it. It has brought us a lot of adventures and a lot of family time. The first summer we had it we took weekend trips in 5 different states! Is it right for your family, only you can answer that, but I recommend this plan to any family that is serious about camping in an Airstream.

We live in Fayetteville about 20 or so miles south of Hartsfield. If you purchase this Airstream our two families should get together one weekend at one of the state parks to camp together. In the mean time, I would like to invite you to drop in on the Falluminum Forum Rally at Lake Chatooga in Hiawasee in a couple of weeks. See thread at: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ins-32035.html There will be about 40 of us with various Airstreams (and a couple of "some other brands" (SOB's)) getting together for a casual weekend of fellowship, music, and great food. You are welcome to come for the day, or if you currently have a camper or tent, to stay the weekend and tour some of the units that will be there. You'll have the chance to go through our 30' Bunkhouse Airstream and see if it's what you'd be interested in, too.
WBCCI# 4821