Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2005, 04:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New '06 Airstream

Should sign the paperwork today. Very excited we are ready to begin a new chapter in our lives. Went with the new 06 Safari 25ft SE which will be towed with a new Nissan Titan with the big tow pakage. Based on everything I've read on this forum it should be a good match. Thanks to all of you!!
This is a new world for my wife and I so thought I would ask is the anything I should have added to the trailer before I pick It up? The dealer says the Reese hitch with sway control will be fine however the Hensley will be added in the near future. The unit has the LS, audio/video, one fantastic fan in the front. Should I add another one in the rear bedroom?
Alan
inflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Congrats!

What a beauty! We just picked up our 25' Safari SS SE LS last week and it is lovely. We haven't had a chance to use it yet so I can't answer any of your questions but I just wanted to say congratulations. I hope the wait from order time to pick up time isn't too excruciating. . .good luck!
Roadsub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:14 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

No wait! Dealer had already orderd it guess my timing was right just got lucky...
Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be fine with the new unit 'as-is'. That really is a nice floor plan since its big enough to have a bit of room, yet small enough to get into these parks that have max length retrictions (some national parks around seem to retrict RV's to around 25 or 30' max'). Two things I would consider -- addition of the 2nd Fan and to also think about the use of the Reese DC.

The DC works great on my 25, and I not knocking it at all. But, you say you have plans to go with a hensley in the near future and you'll be left with unused holes from the DC install. My recommendation would be to go with the Reese if you plan on using it long-term, otherwise I'd go with the equ-a-lizer (no holes to drill) as your temporary setup while you wait for the Hensley.
Camp-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:10 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Please make sure to share your observations with your 2006 unit here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=2006+quality
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Do not "take delivery" until you check everything and it is made right. Don't accept we can fix that it's no big deal. Make a list and tell them to let you know when the trailer is ready for delivery. Check all the finishes, chaulking, try everything and make sure it works, radio, water pump, tank monitors, dump valves, stove, oven, water heater, ac, furance, every window mechanism, everything. Every light including the brake and running lights. Don't let your excitment short circuit your good judgement. It should be spotless clean. Read the quality controll threads for ideas about what to look for before taking it. Have them show you how to open the awnings and put it away. Play with it yourself 4-6 times so you have it down, open every door, drawer, cabinet. Check the trailer before doing the paper work. This should take you a couple hours. Check the exterior finish and trim for alignment, damage, ect. Again look up what problems others have had on the forum. But don't accept it until they fix everything. When you accept delivery the problems are your problems. Check tire air pressure, crawl around underneath to see if the belly pan has all it's rivets and is nice and flat against the frame. Check everything and then check it again. Fill the fresh tank. Run the water heater, open the faucets, dump the wash tank, flush the toilet, dump the black tank which should only had this fresh water in it. Sit on the toilet and make sure it doesn't fall over. Stand in the shower, work the door, run the water, check the tank monitors, play the radio. O... run the AC and fans. Check the fabric seams, work the curtains. Plug it into your TowV and make sure everthing works. So be in a hurry. Take your time now and save time latter taking it back and waiting for it and then going to get it.

When everything is exactly right, which is what you are paying for, not "we'll fix that next week under warranty", then do the paper work.

Have someone show you everything and actually work it. Where's the water pump, fuses, how do they come out, where's the spares. Do new trailers come with power cords? dump hose? ect Attach them if this is new to you.

Then when you get home join the WBCCI. You have many great adventures ahead of you with a tucked away trailer and when something shows up you will know it.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Don't leave the dealership with so much as one small problem visible. We've paid the price in time and cost for not demanding a 100% perfect product before signing the paperwork.

We are first time RV owners, and we let our excitment lull us into believing that a trailer should be built with the same quality of a car or truck. It is not - so be careful.

It will sure pay in the long run reducing time back in the shop later.

Also, have the dealer provide you with the sewer and other fittings. They should provide you with a complete startup kit as part of the delivery, such as sewer hoses, water hoses, leveling blocks,...

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree, read the QC threads and go in there and go over the unit carefully...not to spook you, but once you sign the paperwork, it's your unit, with very few exceptions, through the good, bad and the ugly, it's all yours and you'll need to fall back onto warranty for service. When we found issues, I almost signed the papers, etc until the better half stopped me and said...."are you nuts"? She was right and the unit was repaired and the deal was completed.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Congrats inflt. I sent you a private message.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our local dealer has full hookup sites where you overnight at delivery time. He doesn't even entertain paperwork until the next day, after you are satisfied everything is to your liking. We spent about 90 minutes of time with someone who went over everything in and outside the trailer. As a matter of fact my dealer's prep guy is so good, he was invited to Jackson Center to do a seminar on what he does, and what things he has to fix on newly delivered trailers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

WOW Great Tips.....
Will do just that.. take my time and check everything.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:11 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Alan:

I highly recommend the second fantastic fan. The only thing I am not thrilled about in the Safari line is the half windows, which don't let in a lot of air. If you like fresh air, get the fan in the back of the coach. It will enchance air flow over the bed at night. The one in the front wont have much effect over the bed.

Enjoy!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:49 AM   #13
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Use it.. Use it.. Use it

Inflt,

Once you have made it past all the mechanical aspects of your new traveling home be sure to get out there and travel. I have found the roads are particularly good in Texas (I'm jealous of you all there) and there is certainly plenty of great places to explore not only in your area of the country but all over. Also be sure to join WBCCI. We are meeting some really nice people and making many new friends through the club. It is also a great source of information as this forum is. Be sure to post lots of pictures also...
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #14
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Alan.

I could not agree more with the second fantastic fan in the rear. (Thanks, Silvertwinkie!) But there is one thing that wish I had told AS to install, that probably would have taken them all of 15 minutes: The Camco Winterizing Valve kit.

Installing it after the fact, at least in my 19' CCD involves moving the pump a few inches forward, and dealing with the birds nest of wires and cables in the compartment the pump is in. That's the easy part. The hard part is dealing with what they call PEX tubing to and from the pump. This stuff requires special crimping tools and so on.

Installing this valve would have made winterizing the AS almost effortless.

Make sure that you have AS install this. I think the kit is under $20.00, but way worth it! Plus whatever AS would charge to install.

In fact, I would recommend that AS install these on every trailer that leaves the plant.

You might also consider upgrading the AC to the larger unit. Not sure which BTU unit comes with the Safari, though.

Does the Safari come with a one or two step entry? If it is the one step, I would ask if they could upgrade that to the two step. If you have to put levelers under the curbside, that second step would be far less of a climb.

Congrats.

Jonathan
Old 06-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Unhappy New Airstream

Open the bathroom door and make sure it doesn't rub against the cabinets across from the door. To check your water pump, it's below the full size closet. Make sure you have them show you how to fill/empty the various tanks. Oh yea, and the awning! most importanti.

I know you'll enjoy your new "home" away from home. I sure do.

R/
Rick P.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:45 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Richardson , Texas
Inflt - The main thing you forgot for your Titan is an ATV in the bed....
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:20 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Will consider the ATV however the golden retriever will not be happy!
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

As an update all systems go... Everything works as advertised the dealer was great! Unit was outside washed, all systems operating awning extended. Spent four hours with us also included lunch and a future round of golf. Could not have enough good thing to say about them. Plus the price was the least I could find in the country. Only thing I can't get is the sat going. Must be an alignment problem or a bad box. Tomorrow we leave on vacation will deal with it when I get back. Leaving Dallas headed for Santa Fe - Durango - Silverton - Mesa Verde - Shiprock - Monument Valley and back to Dallas.
"Grisswalds travel in style"
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 AM   #19

if you come through Taos would you please visit? We would love to see airstreamers

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflt
As an update all systems go... Everything works as advertised the dealer was great! Unit was outside washed, all systems operating awning extended. Spent four hours with us also included lunch and a future round of golf. Could not have enough good thing to say about them. Plus the price was the least I could find in the country. Only thing I can't get is the sat going. Must be an alignment problem or a bad box. Tomorrow we leave on vacation will deal with it when I get back. Leaving Dallas headed for Santa Fe - Durango - Silverton - Mesa Verde - Shiprock - Monument Valley and back to Dallas.
"Grisswalds travel in style"
Are you travelling through Taos on your trip? as we would love to see airstreamers here. Im a 1967 work in progress and after 6 months travelling Im housesitting in Taos for the summer
hilabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
All Good Thoughts..

Of all the things mention and, they're excellent suggestions...
I would:
I'd recommend the spare tire kits..
Don't forget the big bubble lever mounted in front of the propane tanks..
Make sure they use a double sided 3M stickie..
I would not drill holes for mounting it.`!
Make sure your new battery is fresh and, fully charged~!
Get tire covers for use whenever parking, the sun will start to work on it..
Get a complete kit for cleaning the unit..You'll want to wash it after every trip and, while on trips as well..Gotta keep those bugs off your new finish .
Have them show you the awning and, then you work it till you have it down completely~ See if they have any special Zip Dee tools to make this work easier for you..If not, send me a private PM..
Make sure you have a 40lb pressure regulator for the city water hook-up..
Consider your driving habits...55mph is plenty enough for traveling..After all, you want to enjoy the trip and, not be stressed out..250 to 300 miles per day is more than enough for a trip..Just my thoughts.
I'd consider stopping early enough each day as to be refreshed to enjoy the area you find yourself in..
Good luck~!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote