Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Thumbs up Microwave addition

Anyone have experience with installing a microwave in the 2005 28 ft. Safari? Where can it be installed? Where is there an AC supply?
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Pops,

While I can't help with the specifics that you requested, I would make a suggestion that you buy a microwave without the fancy electronics (clock and digital timer). We replaced the fancy one we bought with a manual unit from wally world that cost around $50.00. With this unit you don't have any constant drains on the AC power system, this could be important if you plan on boon docking and running the microwave off an inverter. Plus, you don't have to set the clock every time you connect power.
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

microwave

The microwave in the 28' unit goes under the 3 burner range. You have to install a separate 3 burner range and then mount the microwave w/trim ring under the range.
You can buy a convection microwave off the Internet (Sharp R820BK) for about $250.00 +/-. The trim ring, I believe, is about $20.00. The 3-burner range is about $ 195.00.
The electrical is already in place for the microwave.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Thumbs up Adding microwave but not AS option

Thanks, we do not want the AS microwave option because the oven then is all electric.
We are entertaining the idea of putting it into the overhead cabinets above the sink (with some modification of the door) or adding a shelf high and over the “L” portion of the sofa.
Anyone have any experience adding a microwave in a similar manner?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1
The microwave in the 28' unit goes under the 3 burner range. You have to install a separate 3 burner range and then mount the microwave w/trim ring under the range.
You can buy a convection microwave off the Internet (Sharp R820BK) for about $250.00 +/-. The trim ring, I believe, is about $20.00. The 3-burner range is about $ 195.00.
The electrical is already in place for the microwave.
John1, all other options have failed and we are moving on your suggestion.

Now that we have purchased the unit and the salesman is out of the picture we see your suggestion as the best option.

Do you have the cook top make and model number?

Is the AC outlet there behind the existing range?

POPS
Old 07-06-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Pops,

I myself have just purchased a '06 28' Safari this weekend, however, it came from the factory like yours with the stove. The dealer did not have another unit with microave/convection and a 3 burner stovetop, so I literally took that out of my '05 Bambi and put that in place of the stove in the Safari.

Here are the main points:
  1. There is an outlet behind the cardboard back of the stove. Once you take out the orginal stove (shut off gas supply, raise stove top cover(its on a hinge) and remove 4 screws and undo the gas, the unit will then lift straight out)
  2. In order to mount the "factory" microwave convection unit, (Model R-820BK) Some slight cabinet work will need to be done. If you get the microwave and the factory "trim ring" the left side of the cabnet willl need to be trimmed approx 1/4 inch to allow the width of the unit and ring to slide into the space. This is due to the additional clearance needed by the straps that mount around the microwave to the ring piece. Also, you will need to place a 2x4 block "feet" at the bottom of the space with another 1/2 plywood (approx) on top to properly have the microwave sit in the correct position.
  3. Once the microwave and ring have been seated on the new "feet" and the cabinet slide trimed, you will then need a wooden trim piece that mounts to sides of the cabinet above the microwave, filling a void between the microwave trim ring and the bottom of the stovetop burners.
  4. Once the trim piece in in place, drop the stove top in place and screw the stovetop and microwave in place, attach the gas line, test for leaks, and purge the line.
Mine works like a charm, and looks just like factory. If you can, take a look at a unit with it from factory and you will see what I mean about the void between the stovetop and microwave.

Now I have a little piece of my previous "Bambi" with me in my new Safari!!
Hope this helps. PM me if you want more details.

Rgds

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I believe the cooktop is an Amana. The part number is A/690396-10.
Yes there is a plug.

Kevin's email about the installation is good information.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
You could take a less drastic approach and just buy a cheap microwave and set it on the stove cover when setup and put it on the bed when you travel. We got ours at Lowe's for $59. It's stainless steel with a glass door and looks good in our CCD.

We've been doing that and it works but is not ideal.

If you don't have a stove cover, you can get one for about $40 IIRC.

There is an outlet to the right of the vent that the microwave plugs into on our 28' CCD. I would think it would be similar to your Safari.

Having said all of that, I'm going to Jackson Center this fall to see if they can modify the overhead cabinet to accomodate the microwave so it will be more or less permanent. That will give us the ability to keep the gas oven AND have the microwave.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Microwave installed and Stove for sale cheep

Thanks to everyone. We have completed the MW installation as Kevin had described. It went almost exactly as described in his reply.

We purchased the Sharp R-820BK (on sale at HH Greg for $180) and a trim ring from AS for $64 (the standard one so that it looks like factory installed).

We found the cook top at Camping World for $146. The exact model number as in the AS micro wave option. (Customer service gave me the model number)

Installation was as Kevin described and took only about 4 hrs. by this amateur.

We are extremely pleased with the convection microwave.

I have the original stove from the 2005 Safari and will sell it cheep if anyone need it.

Thanks again to everyone,

Pop’s
Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Installation was as Kevin described and took only about 4 hrs. by this amateur.
Hi Pops,

Wow, fun to read this thread again... You mean it took about 3 years and 4 hours...

Don't worry, I got lots of "projects" both around the house and on the Airstream that still haven't been done, even though I know how to do them... Time just gets away from me....

Glad the instructions worked out for you. Truth be told It's probably good I wrote it down because if you would have asked me now I would have told you it could be done but I wouldn't be any good on the details...

See you down the road...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote