Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Angry Lemon Law time

I have again brought my trailer in for warranty work. It's getting to the point that I should just plan on dropping my trailer off at the dealer after each trip.
I've had my trailer for 10 months and have had at the dealer over 100 days so far for warranty work.

Here are the items that have been repaired: (in no paticular order)

*Bed was the wrong size (replaced with proper bed)
*Refrigerator did not work on AC (Refrigerator Replaced)
*Refer decor panel was wrong size (replaced with proper one)
*Shower head flow was incorrect (shower head replaced)
*Water Leaking outside of shower (gap resealed)
*Back Window Leaked (resealed)
*Mini Blinds did not stay but with plastic clips (replaced with steel)
*Refer Fan Switch stopped illuminating (repaired now twice)
*Grey, Black and Fresh water level sensors not working correctly ( Repaired 3 TIMES)
*Wall Panel behind sofa popped loose from studs (repaired)
*Battery Boiled Over leaking acid on battery tray (batteries replaced)
*Fresh water filling tube was installed incorrectly. Had to spend 2-3 hours repairing while on vaction. (hose clamp and hose were not attached correctly making it almost impossible to fill with fresh water)

Currently:
*Fantastic Fan motor for lifting vent stripped out. No longer functioning.

*Manual ceiling vent in front of coach (which I never have used) just blew off while reading a book in light winds.) Wife had to get on top so suburban to duck tape on as it was scheduled to rain later that afternoon.

*Rivets are starting to tare out of aluminum skin on brackets holding the rock guards.

If this was just all a one or two time occurence then everything was fine, I'd be ok, I suppose with that. But EVERYTIME I go out, it's something new.

This is just to many problems for a $38k coach. My tent trailer, $10k, didn't have one single issue the times I took it out for the year I had it before selling it for AS.

I've contacted a Lemon Law attorney and will be forwarding all the documents to him. He assures me my case seems pretty solid for the amount of days it's been out of service.

What I would like is a brand new trailer that I pick up at Airstream and do a PDI with an Airstream rep.

Has anyone here had to lemon law a trailer? Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

"Life is like a box of chocolates..." Forrest Gump
Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Alan, check out these threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ing-11189.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html

Although neither thread addresses the lemon law issue, the two threads are interesting reads. There are also QC threads for 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 model years.

I particularly like the one where they installed the wrong size bed.....

Welcome to Airstreaming! You have the Ferrari of RVs....sexy, long lasting, high maint and typically a few things that need to be shaken out (as you will see by reading the QC threads and the two linked above).

Make sure you get all of it addressed before the warranty goes out or you won't hear from them. I've been trying to get answers for several months and basically heard a lot by not hearing a thing.

Once the clock strikes midnight the first day after the warranty runs out, your RV turns into a pumpkin and you become the bald headed step child.

After reading all the threads, maybe your lawyer would like to convert any case to a class action.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
After reading all the threads, maybe your lawyer would like to convert any case to a class action.
You can sign me up as a part of any such action. So far, my list of issues numbers 40 or so items. It seems that my wonderous Airsteam adds another item or two to the list practically every few days.

It's ironic that I once did a compresensive review of Ferraris returned to Ferrari of North America under the various states Lemon Laws. There are a lot of parallels between Ferraris and Airstreams as I've often said here in the past.

John
Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Alan,
Our hearts bled for you.....our sympathies. Looks like a good case for a lawyer. Keep us informed.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
Old 04-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killo1
I have again brought my trailer in for warranty work. It's getting to the point that I should just plan on dropping my trailer off at the dealer after each trip.
I've had my trailer for 10 months and have had at the dealer over 100 days so far for warranty work.

Here are the items that have been repaired: (in no paticular order)

*Bed was the wrong size (replaced with proper bed)
*Refrigerator did not work on AC (Refrigerator Replaced)
*Refer decor panel was wrong size (replaced with proper one)
*Shower head flow was incorrect (shower head replaced)
*Water Leaking outside of shower (gap resealed)
*Back Window Leaked (resealed)
*Mini Blinds did not stay but with plastic clips (replaced with steel)
*Refer Fan Switch stopped illuminating (repaired now twice)
*Grey, Black and Fresh water level sensors not working correctly ( Repaired 3 TIMES)
*Wall Panel behind sofa popped loose from studs (repaired)
*Battery Boiled Over leaking acid on battery tray (batteries replaced)
*Fresh water filling tube was installed incorrectly. Had to spend 2-3 hours repairing while on vaction. (hose clamp and hose were not attached correctly making it almost impossible to fill with fresh water)

Currently:
*Fantastic Fan motor for lifting vent stripped out. No longer functioning.

*Manual ceiling vent in front of coach (which I never have used) just blew off while reading a book in light winds.) Wife had to get on top so suburban to duck tape on as it was scheduled to rain later that afternoon.

*Rivets are starting to tare out of aluminum skin on brackets holding the rock guards.

If this was just all a one or two time occurence then everything was fine, I'd be ok, I suppose with that. But EVERYTIME I go out, it's something new.

This is just to many problems for a $38k coach. My tent trailer, $10k, didn't have one single issue the times I took it out for the year I had it before selling it for AS.

I've contacted a Lemon Law attorney and will be forwarding all the documents to him. He assures me my case seems pretty solid for the amount of days it's been out of service.

What I would like is a brand new trailer that I pick up at Airstream and do a PDI with an Airstream rep.

Has anyone here had to lemon law a trailer? Any suggestions?

Thanks for listening.

Alan

Some of those problems could have been caused by "over hitching" and/or "lack of proper running gear balance."

Some of the problems are related to vibration.

Andy
Old 04-24-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Alan

Some of those problems could have been caused by "over hitching" and/or "lack of proper running gear balance."

Some of the problems are related to vibration.

Andy
Yes. About 0.1% of them.

IMO, the preponderance of his issues were/are not related to towing issues.

Tom
Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Yes. About 0.1% of them.

IMO, the preponderance of his issues were/are not related to towing issues.

Tom
Agreed... Not quite sure of the comment. Even in the odd event it was "balance" issues, it's still warranty issues that are not getting fixed.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
EVERYTIME I go out, it's something new.
isn't that a normal feature of camping!

ok, just kidding.

repair issues are seldom fun.

my list of repairs is approaching 100 items now.

several of yours seem related to the fridge. was the fridge cured with the replacement?

i'm having trouble understanding '100 days' for repairs.

that's more than a week per item?

sure the attorney may have suggested you have a case...

how is he/she to be paid?

cali has many consumer friendly laws, have you READ the 'lemon law' process for your state?

a/s includes a booklet ON lemon laws and related issues with the new owner materials.

don't get overly hopeful for a new unit OR factory pick up....

cheers
2air'
Old 04-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Agreed... Not quite sure of the comment. Even in the odd event it was "balance" issues, it's still warranty issues that are not getting fixed.
It's always the selling dealers obligation, to the purchaser, to make sure that "EVERYTHING" is correct, prior to delivery, and, to keep it that way, after delivery.

It is also the dealers job to offer suggestions as to how "to" or "not to" treat the trailer, as the case may be, to insure that the owner can maximize their enjoyment and relaxation.

Certainly, and without question, 100 days of loss of use within the first 10 months, is inexcuseable. Granted, parts may need to be ordered for a current model trailer. Than can and does take time, but certainly not 100 days.

A selling dealer is "supposed to" give the owner the same if not more attention after the purchase as they did prior to the purchase.

Dealers that place the new owner needing warranty work at the bottom of the list to make room or time for the new purchaser, will soon find their customer base drying up.

Airstream itself, strives very hard to make a problem free product. However, their products are made by people, one at a time.

Therefore Airstream pays a dealer, and very well at that, to repair everything and anything that is not correct. That is the agreement dealers agree to do when they obtain the franchise from Airstream.

Some dealers care, some don't. Many of the dealers mechanics care, but unfortunately, all to many don't.

Documentation is the name of the game. With adequate documentation, dealers can and are held accountable for not perfoming to Airstream expectations.

Airstream, is a stickler for quality. Sure they make mistakes sometimes, but certainly not what you have experienced.

I would suggest that you contact Dave Schumann, the general Manager of customer relations, at Airstream, by telephone at 937-5966111 extension 7327, or, e-mail him at dschumann@airstream.com.

You will find him to be very helpful as well as concerned about your specific trailer problems.

Andy
Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Thanks for the email address/contact. I will contact him in the morning before the lawyer to see what he has to offer.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Just got a call from Airstream this morning after leaving a message for Dave Schumann... A manager over customer service called me, not Dave Schumann, but someone under him.
He was quite nice and trying to assure everything was fixed in an expeditous manner. As a matter of fact I stopped by the dealer to pick up some pillows I left in the coach and the work was almost done. (works been averaging 2-3 weeks at dealer, it was done in 1 day this time) As a matter of good faith AS threw in a $25 (retail cost) plastic cover to keep the cheap plastic of the vent from breaking again. Nice, but not nearly enough amends.
I will continue with the lemon law attorney as I feel it's the right thing to do.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
A new Airstream trailer means another long list of items to fix, I'm sad to say.
I've had mine in to the dealer numerous times for a long list of problems including the fridge not working on AC. It required a CB4 replacement.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Please refresh my memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
... It required a CB4 replacement.
What is a "CB4"?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
movie

CB4, Wasn't that a movie that Chris Rock did about a rapper?
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Love the vintage.......my 78 frig is still working and not one rivet has come out anywhere. Heck I can't even drill them out. I don't mean to make light of your horrific situation; however, I can't understand why Airstream can't make a really great, long lasting, good from the start trailer again. This old Argosy is still a wonderful piece of American workmanship. He's held together and has been a joy for me and all the previous owners I'm sure. I have to agree that a lawsuit may be the only way to get our old Airstream quality back. Go after their profit margin with a judgement in court.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
What is a "CB4"?

Thanks,
Tom
Circuit Breaker #4 on my AC power distribution panel. It had a short and tripped every time I turned on the fridge with AC.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Your issues have been numerous not to mention the inconveniences. However, I must agree with Andy in a prior post in that there are dealers geared to customer service and those that are not. Additionally, you have techs who take pride in their work and those there for a paycheck. Having been a auto tech and service manager, I've seen both sides - tech and customer. Neither is exactly "always" right. Most common problem is clear communication of issues that are documented on the repair order. There are numerous cases where poor service has cast a false shadow over the product. Has consideration been given to checking with another dealer on your repeat issues? Good luck,
Larry
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Santa Ana , California
Update

I just received my trailer back from about three weeks at C & G Trailer.

After going back and forth with Larry Huttle of Airstream, he admitted without admitting that there is a "flaw" in the frame of the 22ft Safari that causes the trailer to flex considerably more than any other trailer they have, with the presumed assumption a percentage of my previous warranty issues were caused by this flexing. So, they sent a kit of steel and C & G installed about 50lbs of fresh steel on the frame supposidly stiffening it.

They also did a list of new warranty issues:

Tail Lights Failed
Aluminum Rubbed Thru Ceiling Carpet Causing Black Dots
Glue Coming Undone on Bathroom Door
And 6 or so small miscelanious issues.

Anyhow, I picked up my trailer Friday, (October 19th) and headed straight out of town to meet my wife in Joshua Tree for her birthday camping trip.

Half way out I stopped and Jack in the Box for some lunch. When walking past the back of my trailer I noticed three new dents in the back of my trailer. One of the the size of someone slamming a baseball bat into the back top corner (next to the A in Airstream above the back window)

The three dents were in three different panels. I called Rod at C & G immediately after words. He was very unresponsive saying "I didn't cause that" My trailer had one small dent when it arrived at C & G, the same one it's had since I took delivery of my trailer, its a 4" or so dent near the rivet line, curb side right next to the light.

It's basically about $5000 worth of damage that happened while it was in his possesion and he is taking no responsablitly for it at this time. He says that I can come to his shop, and if I can find the object that he or his employees hit while backing it in, he'll take care of it. But truthfully his attitude was very poor regarding it. He was so adimant about not causing it and was insinuating I caused it and was blaming him. Why would I do that when my insurance company will cover all the repairs with a couple hundred dollar deductable.
He also tried teling me there were no dents when it left as he would of noticed them when I was pulling out as he was checking my lights for functionality, but the problem with that is I didn't go in reverse one time from when I picked it up until when I saw the dents in front of Jack in the Box so it would of been impossible for me to put those in the trailer after I picked it up. Also, if he were observing the aluminum he for sure would of seen the dent that has always been on the trailer right next to the lights.

I'll update you guys in the future. It seems this guy has a pretty good if not great reputation so I hope we can come to an agreement regarding this.

Also, Airstream has been working with me well. They are trying to come up with a way of resolving all the problems I've been having with some sort of caper. They have been really good thru out this.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM   #19
_

. , .
the odyssey continues...

your latest episode can serve as a reminder...

anytime we plan to leave a unit for work and especially IF it is a multi day job...

take photos!

ask for an inspection at the time

and write up some sort of 'agreed condition' statement...

the auto dealer i use does this with a form similar to a rental car pictorial checklist...

it works very well and reminds everyone about careful handling...

and i once had an issue with badly nicked wheels,

when the shop claimed innocence i pulled out the printed dated photos in the glove box from hours before service...

new wheels were ordered at NO charge and without any more discussion...

may the force be with you....

the only 'weakness i'm aware of in 22s is the osb flooring, although ALL of the modern frames are suspect...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #20
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
only one small problem.

Quote:

Half way out I stopped and Jack in the Box for some lunch. When walking past the back of my trailer I noticed three new dents in the back of my trailer. One of the the size of someone slamming a baseball bat into the back top corner (next to the A in Airstream above the back window)

The three dents were in three different panels. I called Rod at C & G immediately after words. He was very unresponsive saying "I didn't cause that" My trailer had one small dent when it arrived at C & G, the same one it's had since I took delivery of my trailer, its a 4" or so dent near the rivet line, curb side right next to the light.

It's basically about $5000 worth of damage that happened while it was in his possesion and he is taking no responsablitly for it at this time. He says that I can come to his shop, and if I can find the object that he or his employees hit while backing it in, he'll take care of it. But truthfully his attitude was very poor regarding it. He was so adimant about not causing it and was insinuating I caused it and was blaming him. Why would I do that when my insurance company will cover all the repairs with a couple hundred dollar deductable.
He also tried teling me there were no dents when it left as he would of noticed them when I was pulling out as he was checking my lights for functionality, but the problem with that is I didn't go in reverse one time from when I picked it up until when I saw the dents in front of Jack in the Box so it would of been impossible for me to put those in the trailer after I picked it up. Also, if he were observing the aluminum he for sure would of seen the dent that has always been on the trailer right next to the lights.

If you did not inspect the trailer before you left, then C&G is off the hook legally. They can be nice but they do not have to. He is offering to try to see if they did something but since you cannot prove it happened there then it is between you and your insurance company.
Sorry.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

Closed Thread